Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Resume Writing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Resume Writing?
Master_Of_Puppets
Activist
Member # 29525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Master_Of_Puppets     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I wasn't sure where to put this topic, but I saw a couple career related questions here. If this thread is out of place please feel free to put it where it belongs.

So, the deal is that lately I've been seeing a lot of good job opportunities pass me by in my area. I have no work experience at the moment and I'm trying to get some...money isn't really an issue to me, my family is financially able to handle most of what I need. This is good because it lets me have more choice as to what field I'd like to work in. I also just broke up with my boyfriend of six months and I really need something to occupy my time better than the internet. I've been putting this off for a while - but now that I have the time I really need job experience before I leave high school, so how would I go about writing my resume?

I've tried copying a few templates online, but I'm not sure which would be better suited to my needs...

Advice?

Posts: 89 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you looking for basic entry level "starting" jobs (such as grocery, fast food, malls, etc.)?

If so, it's rarely necessary to have a resume. I know I couldn't make one if I tried a couple months ago; there was no work experience at all to speak of!

An easy way to apply is online (I got three calls within 2 weeks). Simply look for application information to the places you want to work on their website -- online apps are actually starting to be preferred over traditional paper applications, especially since many online application services also feature personality screenings and background checks.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Master_Of_Puppets
Activist
Member # 29525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Master_Of_Puppets     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a pretty good idea. I have two ideas so far, either a grocery store or my first choice a rock n roll/joke tee store. If I can't get my first choice, I have a friend who can probably guide me through the second.

I'll check their website though, thanks.

Posts: 89 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey!

A resume doesn't need to be just "work" experience. Have you volunteered with anything? Have you done any spectacular, substantial writing in your classes?

Do you have any extra curricular activities you're interested in?

These sort of things can go on a resume!

The main point of a resume is to sell your skills, so dress it up and make yourself sound like the PERFECT employee. Do you know Outlook, Excel, Word, etc? Put that on there. Do you work with Macs as well as PCs? That's an important skill. What about Photoshop? HTML? JAVA? Do you know any of those? Those are marketable skills. They can be included on a resume.

[Smile]

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.