Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Career Advice re: Social Work

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Career Advice re: Social Work
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Lately I've been completely lost about what I want to do with the rest of my life. I'm nearly halfway through my second year of university and I've realized I hate my program. I've dropped 3 classes, and don't even want to continue next semester.

I've been searching (and discarding) so many possibilities, and now I've suddenly stumbled upon Social Work. Ever since joining Scarleteen, and reading the forum, I've wanted to do something that could help people, but for some reason, Social Work has never crossed my mind, until now.

I'm not even sure what I'm trying to accomplish by posting here, other than to get some thoughts on Social Work, and what it entails exactly. I'm a pretty emotional person, and I'm wondering if it's something I'd even be able to do.

Anyways, thoughts? Comments?

[Smile]

[ 11-09-2006, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: blysse_norwood ]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're not the only person to have discovered career interests through participation at Scarleteen! I definately know I'm not the first to delve into nursing/sexual health as a result of evaluating what I do here and why.

Depends on what type of social work you mean; recently it's been reduced to mean jobs such as counselor, therapist, or state social worker. Otherwise, it refers to jobs that directly serve and help people.. firefighters, police, nurses/doctors, teachers, the list goes on! See which one interests you the most based on what you seem to pay the most attention to.

With any one, you definately need to stay in university; heck, that alone means you're further ahead than many! Try talking to a counselor at your school about career interest evaluations/assessments and possibly changing your major. Getting re-committed to something you're genuinely interested in could help immensely.

Sure, there are things you think you might not be able to handle -- here I am wanting to become a nurse, and I'm pretty squeamish! Social work can be pretty emotionally draining on many, but you also do a lot of good, just as any job/career you go into will have ups and downs.

I think you should go for it. You're a warm-hearted, intelligent young woman and seem to have a lot to offer! Why not call for an appointment with the counselor to consider making a change?

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.