Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » in need of study help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: in need of study help
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
(I don't know if I'll get answer but I'll take a chance anyway)

Is there anything possible I can do to be able to study at night without falling asleep ? An effective thing ? Right now, I can't study past let's say 8 p.m., or my mind is a a little off after that time and I have problems remembering or understanding things. I am just so tired from my school day. Feel like my mind doesn't want to work anymore.

Or do you guys have a trick to wake yourself up early in the morning to study ? I set my alarm clock but I'm never able to wake up early to study. I feel like I need 8 hours of sleep at night or I won't work so most of the time my trying to waking up earlier always fail.

And how do you keep your motivation to study ? Do you give yourself treats or something like that ? Because I do have to admit with having new things to study each day, with the non-stop studying sometimes I just don't feel like it. Of course, I do study, I can't afford a day break.

And I need to spend more time studying. We've got deadlines. Like we have to study this and that for like tomorrow or the day after and this day we'll have another 100 pages to read.It's an never ending thing except when we're on holidays of course.

Other people often spend like a part of the night studying because we really don't have lots of time to study but I'm simply unable to do that. I do make it totally to deadlines but I have to work my butt off in the day from like 6 a.m. to 5 pm. (and that's only when I don't have any classes)I'd like to be able to study more at night or in the early morning.

It's not like it's a really big problem. I'm fine and I'm not stressed at all (well except for exams !) but I do have to admit a little help won't hurt. So any tricks you guys want to share with me on how to motivate yourself and how, if applicable, on how you're able to study in early mornings or at night ?

[ 10-26-2006, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may not prove particularly helpful but..

I used to slack off in school/studying a lot. Failed, got bad grades. Applied to go to college, and lost the motivation along the way.

You know what's been the best wakeup call and motivator, hands down? Getting a full-time job and experiencing what my life WILL be like if I don't get my crap together and go to school. Bad pay, bad benefits, bad attitudes, and everyday feels like another towards the grave -- and I haven't even done it for long over a month.

You can bet your butt I'll near cry in joy at the opportunity to go to school soon, and won't so much as think of not doing well, especially when money to even attend is so hard to come by for me.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Hey Lauren, is it in nursing school finally you're gonna go ?

By the way ,this is helpful to heard about your story.

I am not losing motivation totally not, far from that, that's really an interesting career for me it's just that sometimes you know there's a day when you'd feel you want to do something else or take a break and well this isn't something we can really do

[ 10-26-2006, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a nursing school, per se, but a community college that happens to offer a nursing program. [Smile]
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

That's great. I wish you the best of luck ! [Smile] Can you specialize after ? Like can you choose an area you want to nurse in, like gynecology or something like that ?

If so, do you have an idea which area interests you ?

(sorry to bother you with my question [Smile] )

[ 10-26-2006, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Yup, all I'd have to do is transfer to a university, and from there (if I get really ambitious) to medical school.

It would be awesome if I could become a nurse practitioner, which is essentially my dream job, but that's a huge goal. Trying to focus more on the here and now and how to get there, y'know?

But, I'm definately invested in women's health, especially after my own struggles as a patient and experiencing firsthand just how much ignorance can exist in the field. Being able to be just one person to help change that would seriously rule.

I'm keeping my options generally open though until I delve more into the field; after all, even if I decide a certain path isn't for me, there's a lot of other places a health science major/degree can take you. Thanks for asking! [Smile]

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I set my alarm clock but I'm never able to wake up early to study. I feel like I need 8 hours of sleep at night or I won't work so most of the time my trying to waking up earlier always fail.
Don't fight your body, it knows better than you do. If you feel like you need 8 hours, then take 8 hours. You want to study early in the morning...so go to bed early and set your alarm to get up 8 hours later. You want to study at night...get up later in the morning and know what time you'll need to go to bed so that you can still get 8 hours.

You also may want to try setting two alarms 10-15 minutes apart. That way if the first alarm goes off and you just can't get up, the second one will get you up.

Does your university have a learning center or student help center? Most universities have some office or center that offers study help and short courses in time management and study habits. If those types of courses are available, I'd highly recommend you utilize their services. They may be able to help you how to figure out how to deal with your current workload/schedule and help you develop good study skills and habits.

My other best suggestion is to break up your study time. Try to study in small snippets during the day rather than settling in for a long haul at night (or in the morning). It will help you to stay fresh and help you stay interested and motivated. Divide your courses up and try to spend 45 minutes on each course throughout the day.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

quote:
You also may want to try setting two alarms 10-15 minutes apart. That way if the first alarm goes off and you just can't get up, the second one will get you up.
Really great idea ! I'll try that .I have another alarm clock in my room and it wasn't useful yet to date, now I know what to do with it ! [Smile]

I really appreciate your help on that kittengoddess you seem to know a lot about how to manage study time and all and it's all helpful. Are you in higher education as well ?

I'll try what you told me : getting 8 hours of sleep at night and basing my bedtime and waking up time on that.

quote:
Try to study in small snippets during the day rather than settling in for a long haul at night (or in the morning).
That's what I'm doing right now. I have sometimes no school on a day and it's meant exactly for that. But I have to work a awful lot in the day and I just find it would be less work in the day if I could study also a little bit in the morning (before going to school at 7 p.m.) or at night.

Let me tell you a little bit the way it works. I go to school like on Monday. We have like a three hour class where we learn about a subject : genetics, epidemiology, pharmacology, histology, communication with patients, anatomy, physiology or microbiology, one of those subjects. (I am on first year so it's the basic sciences we learn this semester).

Then we have pages to read alone to learn about the subject (about 100 pages) and we have generally two-three days to study the subject (but do know that it's not two-three entire day we have it's more like one day, if that because we have classes in those days too, classes that are important for the exam(and they aren't really on the same subject we have to study)and classes that are obligatory but are only informative. The normal number of hours that have to be spend on each subject is around 20 hours but generally we don't have that much time to study. Normally, I go like at 7a.m. to school and I come back home around 5 p.m. each day. I can have like 2 days like that and the another one is free of classes or I have one class only. So you do the math. 20 hours . It's not much and often the free day we have is the last day right before the three days allowed to study is finished. And I just hate to be at the late minute for my study and homework. So I prefer doing that ahead of time even if that implies spending a part of the night. That just add up stresses that I don't need if I'm at the last minute.

So it's not much time to study. And the thing is we're all like that. Our program is based on autonomy a lot, personal study. It's about managing our stresses alone, organising our time alone and things like that. Most people are even worse than me. Some people never have time to finish their study, they can only spend like only 5-6 hours because they don't have more time to cover the subject and read the pages they give us since they have other occupation. Most people spend like the last night studying until 5 a.m. because they don't have enough time.A=nd we've got to study because we're asked questions.

So I'd prefer studying ahead of time because when I do most of my study the last day I often don't have time to entirely finish. It's not like I can predict how much time I will need for my study the last day.

And after the two-three days, we go to school and the same thing happens again, we have another subject to study even on week-ends (although I have to say we do have more time to study then)It,s never ending study if you know what I mean and we can't simply afford not to study on a day.

So maybe that will help.

[ 10-27-2006, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per your question, I am in higher ed. I've got by B.S. & M.A. already, and am currently in the second year of my Ph.D. In addition to taking my own classes and working on my own research (and research with faculty members), I teach two sections of an undergraduate course. I'm also involved with & serve as an officer in two graduate student groups. My intention, after finishing my doctorate, is to stay in the academy to teach & research.

I'm not entirely clear on what your course of study looks like (I've never been outside the American uni. system), but I've a few more suggestions that may help.

Again, I don't know if your campus has a service that can help with study skills, but that would be something to look into and take advantage of.

Also, try to get with a group of friends who are in your classes. Get to know some folks and see if you can divide and conquer some of the work. For example, start a study group and divide up your readings so that each person is responsible for closely reading an equal number of sections and creating an outline/discussion guide of the material that they then email or print out for all of the other members of the group. You will still want to look over all of the chapters, but it will speed up the reading for everyone involved.

I don't know how you read, but try to make your time spent reading very strategic. For example, the first sentence of each paragraph usually contains the main idea, so pay special attention to that. Also, focus on key terms. You may also want to try Googling "study skills" or other terms like that.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

I just stopped by to say thank you for the help you gave me Kitten Goddess. I tried few of the tips you gave me, some worked, others didn't.

I realized I really needed 7-8 hours of sleep at night, if I don't I'll feel sleepy in the day. I tried waking up early in the morning with two alarm clocks and it never worked. I can't wake up earlier than 5:30-6 a.m. It's a mind thing. I can when I really have to wake up like if I have school on that day or an exam or something like that. Other than that,I feel like my mind is telling me: you don't need to wake up now so go back to sleep. That's weird. But I do wake up normally at 6 a.m. - 7 a.m. so I normally have time to do my things though.

It's gotten better now in the last few days. I have more free days without school so I definitly had more time to do my work. Of course, I can't allow myself to spend an entire or even half of the day doing other things but at least I can afford small breaks and make it easier to the deadline. I think I need a little more time and things will be all settled up.

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

(Different things work for different folks...so I'm glad you found a few that are helping you out! Just keep trying things until you find a routine that works best for you. [Smile] )

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Alea
Activist
Member # 31146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One interesting thing that I found out about studying was this: the sooner you review the material after first learning it, the higher your retention rate will be. If you study the material again within the first few hours of learning it, your retention will be ~70%. The longer you wait, the less you retain. The best way I found to utilize this trend in learning was to stay at school between classes, and read back over my notes about the class right after I got out. It's helped me a lot.

Another thing that I found helpful were, believe it or not, flash cards. Making them by hand will probably take too long, but you can make flash cards on your computer, too. What I do is make the flash cards on my computer and then download them to my calculator - that really helps, because then when I have a free five minutes, I can just run through my flash cards.

A big mistake I've seen a lot of friends make with studying was that they'd study all of the information. Don't waste your time studying what you already know - concentrate on what you don't. Your time will be more effectively spent, and you'll be able to cover more ground. Trust the knowledge you do have, and concentrate on that you don't.

Also, rarely will you need to actually read every word of that 100 pages. A valuable skill is skimming - just glance over the paragraph, stop if it seems important, etc. Once you get used to skimming, you'll be able to effectively pick out the key information without wading through a lot of useless stuff.

--------------------
Obscurity is the refuge of the incompetent.

Posts: 58 | From: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

I had the result of my previous med exam and guess what ??? I passed. [Smile] I'm so happy given the fact that I was pretty sure I was gonna fail it. That is something that's been bugging me for the last few weeks so I'm glad this thing is off my shoulder now.

It's not the best mark ever but hey I can't expect too much from an exam I didn't had time to really study and that I mostly studied at the last minute.

But for the next exam, I did promised myself to really study ahead of time, so it should get better this time ! [Smile]

[ 11-04-2006, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.