Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Majors and Careers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Majors and Careers
Faith54
Activist
Member # 27855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith54     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something I thought would be an interesting topic: What are/have/plan to major in at college? What have you done w/ that major, or plan on doing? Was it an easy major to obtain, or was it really ambitious?

--------------------
"My grandmother never gave gifts- she was too busy being raped by cossacks." ~ Woody Allen

Posts: 107 | From: United States | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can begin.

I am now in the first year of med school at university. This is lots and lots of hard work but this is so so definitly worth it. Let's say it's about 40 hours of personal work a week minimum without taking into account all of classes, and gosh do we have a lot of those whether it's conferences or classes or other things.

I simply don't have time anymore to watch T.V. or read or do things like that, way too busy, most of my free time consists into going here ( and I come here because I like that and it gives my brain kind of a break) So definitly, a lot of work.

But overall, that's really one of the best thing that has happened to me going into med school.

In five years, I'll be able to practice as a general physician (I know this is far earlier than normal but our program is made that way) and I don't know yet if I'm gonna go into a speciality or not.

Right now, I keep discovering new things and I am like I want to do that. And the day after we learn about another things and I'm like I am interested to do that also. Really, I'm interested in a lot of things so I haven't chose yet and just don't see the need to right now (still got a lot of time). I'll just wait to experiment each speciality and find the one I really like.

But, chirurgy is something that interests me right now and maybe gynecology also. I don't know, this still have a lot of time to change.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bellaitaliana69
Activist
Member # 29887

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bellaitaliana69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Philosophy is amazing!!

--------------------
"Only fear the things which have the power to harm" --Dante Aligheri, "Inferno" canto 2

A miracle is not the suspension of natural law, but the operation of a higher law.

Posts: 136 | From: Roma, Italy | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Biology and anthropology (double major) - amazing and interesting combination!

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i went to culinary school, but i have decided i don;t want it to be my career. so i am going back to school in the fall, to do ancient history (major) and the classics (greek/latin(minor)). i want to be a teacher, probably high school

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sexualghost
Activist
Member # 26692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sexualghost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Political Science with Emphasis on International Studies and Russian Studies

I want to be a diplomat/operative(sounds so james bondesque) currently in second year of the honours program at the university i'm in. Essentially i love to travel, i love to make the world a better place, sooooo i figured this was the best way to do it:)

Posts: 42 | From: Drifter | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Torchie
Neophyte
Member # 31448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Torchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly journalism or acting. Not sure if they offer courses for those wanting to be voice actors, but if they do, I'm taking those.

--------------------
"I'm confused. Who are you? Where am I? And more importantly, what's for dinner?"

Posts: 10 | From: Everywhere and Nowhere | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking of doing a double major in Criminology and French Studies... and then working for Interpol. That would be such a great job for me - I live for international travel and dynamic, exciting jobs. [Big Grin]

--------------------
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nklauste
Neophyte
Member # 26262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nklauste     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently working on an Elementary Education Major with a mathematics concentration. I want to go into teaching, upon graduation I will be licensed to teach Kindergarten-8th grade, but I am not sure which level I would like to teach yet.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't worked out exactly what I want to major in (I've still got a few years, after all!), but I know I want to double major in Vocal Performance (or something to that effect) and English or Anthropology or Mythology or something...

I have huge insecurities about going into voice as a major, as I've only just begun to develop any measure of confidence in my talent, but I do know that music is in my top three things that I'm most passionate about. And its really the only thing that inspires any true religious/spiritual-type feelings in me. I say I'm an agnostic, but in truth music is like a god and a religion to me. So hey, what can I do but follow it, eh?

As far as English goes, I've always completely revered the written word, and I'm waiting on the edge of my seat for my junior and senior years, when I'll be able to take Honors and AP English. English class, in school, is always one of the highlights of my day (along with choir). And literature is another one of those things I'm really passionate about. Everything from the smell of old books to the ideas they contain is like candy to me. And not just the ten-cents-a-pound kind. The really good, expensive, caramel-filled chocolates. :)

Aside from that, I really enjoy studying different ancient cultures, especially the social and religious aspects of them. I find History facinating, though I'm awful at remembering names and dates. In all honesty, though? Ideally, what I'd like to do for the rest of my life is sing and go to school (only a school without grades...). I know that's not really realistic, but I'd like to keep learning as much as possible for as long as possible.

(BTW, sorry if I got a bit rant-ish and off-point. I just had a discussion similar to this earlier today, and so the topic was fresh in my mind. And its one I have a lot to say on. :) )

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did molecular cell biology at UC Berkeley. Other than using that knowledge here at ST, i didn't really apply much of it until after I got a master's in epidemiology. So i studyd infectious diseases, and the bio stuff comes in handy.

i double majored in Southeast Asian studies, and aside from translating a few books, it only comes in handy during conversations.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissSmarty
Activist
Member # 28387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissSmarty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am majoring in mass communication focusing on journalism and am minoring in religious studies. When I graudate... when I graduate... I don't know what I want to do. Part of me wants to take a break and travel the world. I would love love love to live in a Spanish speaking country for a year to improve upon my Spanish.

I was an undecided major for a long time. I chose journalism because I love people and different cultures. I also like to write and I am good at it. It seemed like a good fit. I like magazines more than newspapers, and features more than hard news...

It seems like so many people are moving back in with their parents after graudation...kind of scary. I love my parents, but I don't know if I will want to move back home.

Everyone's studies here sound so interesting. Good job for going for your goals everyone!

Posts: 118 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I majored in Nursing Science. I graduated in June 2006 and receieved a BSc in Nursing. My program was VERY structured (i went to a small college and university), so i didn't have a lot of wiggle room ... I wasn't able to minor in anything and i only had ONE elective, in four years. For anyone who isn't totally sure what they want to do, i would NOT suggest getting into such a structured program.

Right now i work as a Registered Nurse on an Obstetrics and Gynecology unit and i love it. I may go on to be a midwife or nurse practitioner, but for now, i'm happy.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Getting a BA in English, with a minor in History. This will hopefully be my last year. Once I am done with this I'll take some time off to save up money and then I hope to get a Masters of Education and eventually go into teaching.

I'm studying at a very small school that's actually known for its science programs, so the English department is tiny and I love that, because I know all my profs personally and there is a lot of time for discussion in our classes.

I've always loved literature, both reading and analysing it and writing myself, and I'm also interested in the historical context of literature, so deciding what to study was a no-brainer for me.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sekretful
Neophyte
Member # 28576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sekretful     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am in my last year at school. goin on to university at the end of next year so i have a whole year to plan and decide what i'd like to do.. but im quite an out there LOUD person, love the spotlight and am quite the leader, would love to be on either in tv journalism or a tv presenter. what do i have to major in to do pursue his kind of career??

--------------------
*sekretful*

Posts: 19 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try journalism or mass communication.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheMadMorrigan
Neophyte
Member # 32184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheMadMorrigan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started out in Linguistics, then switched to my minor - Biology - at New College of Florida. Got a degree specializing in Plant Biochemistry and Cell Biology, and I'm now a Ph.D student at the University of Florida in their Plant Molecular and Cell Bio program.

I still have NO idea what I'll do with a Ph.D, though, or whether I want to stop after my Masters and try for an NSF internship. So many options!

Posts: 33 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in my fourth year, majoring in Management Information Systems. It's not easy, per say, but computers are NOT that difficult to understand -- if they malfunction, there's a darn good reason. It's not like with people -- computers don't mess up just because they don't like you or they're in a bad mood.

Anyway, I plan on doing network security somewhere -- most likely at a nuclear plant or the homeland security base back home.

--------------------
"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
In Love With My Baby
Activist
Member # 31696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for In Love With My Baby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After I graduate high school I want to either be a peditrician or some other doctor like that!! I love little kids tho so i will probably be that!! [Big Grin] I know what college I want too!! haha!
Posts: 127 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.