Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » university initiation activities

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: university initiation activities
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you guys ever had initiation activities in school ? You know activities known to make friends and get to know other people with whom you'll be studying with ? And did you go ?

I am just not comfortable in those things. It's a place where people get drunk and ridiculise themselves and I'm just not into those kinds of things.(It might not be the case for all integration activities but it is for mine). I just don't feel like going. But at the same time I'm scared because there's rumors that if you don't go, they'll catch yourself later and it will be even worse. You'll make a fool of yourself even more. So I don't know what to do. and it's coming soon.

So can you guys tell me what you think.

[ 08-21-2006, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the climate of your university, but lots of my high school friends who went on to college had good luck with going into sports and the arts.

Activities like band, theater, student activities director, and sports offer you the opportunity to not only learn more about and participate things you're interested in, you can meet people with similar interests.

If you do attend an activity/orientation/gathering where people are acting rowdy, drunk, or stupid, nothing's obligating you to stay. Find another place to hang out.

quote:
I just don't feel like going. But at the same time I'm scared because there's rumors that if you don't go, they'll catch yourself later and it will be even worse. You'll make a fool of yourself even more. So I don't know what to do. and it's coming soon.
Do you mean initiation ceremonies, like in sororities/frats? You aren't obligated to join a study group or association of any type as far as I know.

[ 08-21-2006, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Sorry I really didn't make myself clear. I used the wrong word, it's initiation, the thing they have before school year begins, it's not a particular group like drama club or something like that. It's games everyone is invited to. It last a day. It's game in which people get to know each other.

After that, people know pretty much everything about you. They're like no more secrets about you. They disguise you or make you drink alcohol, make you do unusual things.

[ 08-21-2006, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's your choice whether you want to attend or not, unless it's mandatory.

Orientation/initiation events before the start of the school year can be helpful. Some have workshops to develop study habits and time management. A lot of information is also offered on different programs/resources available to help students be successful. Is this what you're talking about?

If so, it couldn't hurt to suck it up and go, right? At the very least, you'd learn a little more about your new study enviornment, and know about all the programs and services offered.

(My mistake, didn't see your update. There is absolutely no reason for you to go to any gathering if you know they push people to do things you aren't comfortable with.)

[ 08-21-2006, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

(Edited)

[ 08-21-2006, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

It doesn't say anywhere you're not obligated to go. But some people do say that if you don't go, they'll catch you back. They say it's supposed to be respectful and evrything but is it rally ? It's old students who do that and I've seen cases where people had died because they drank too much in it.

I,m just not the kind of girl who would like to make a fool of herself with strangers if you know what I mean. It,s just not in my personnality. With friends maybe or people I know but with future co-students I don't know yet ? No. Even if this is respectful I still don't feel comfortable dressing up in something and doing stupid things (sorry for the langage).

[ 08-21-2006, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

It sounds a bit like you're talking about a fraternity/sorority:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorority

Does this sound like what you're describing?

It definately does sound like what this is. You don't have to join any group or any activity like that, or be afraid of "being caught later" if you don't show up or join them. University police take harassment very seriously.

Don't believe the rumors. These groups pretend to be a lot more serious than they actually are.

(I'm going to let somebody else find this and try to help you out. I've never been to college in Canada, so perhaps I don't know the ways of your school system there. Sorry!)

[ 08-21-2006, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

It's not a sorority at all but the thing they do is similar as what they do when you enter a sorority I guess.

The activities you do at the initiation can be linked to your university program but there are nothing to learn there. They just makes jokes about it or so. It's for people to get to know each other and decompress before the school year begins. In the sheets they sent me for university they had a sheet about this initiation.

I'll try to find something okay ? Maybe in California they don't have a similar thing as here in Canada.

[ 08-21-2006, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

The activities are made by old students and it is being coordinated by the university.

The intiation day I will be at the university ( don't have any choices)and with one person I don't know yet that is likely to go to the initiation (I will live in the same dorm) since she would be making it. So I'm afraid they will force me to go and pressure me to go. She'll tell other I don't want to.

I am just scared that if I don't go they will get back at me. And I don't even know if this is mandatory or not.

Thanks for trying to help anyway Lauren, I really appreciate that.

[ 08-21-2006, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Here are some activities they can do during initiation. It's normally less worse than that during initiation and it's not my university at all but I tought this might help.

http://www.alfred.edu/sports_hazing/initiationrites.html

--------------------

-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,

I'm really in a rush right now so I can't go into this more, but are you talking about frosh week? (i.e Something organized for first year uni students where they get to meet people and participate in a bunch of get to know each other activities)

If so, it's really really not as bad as rumors make it out to be. I'm going to be one of the guides for it this coming september, and one of the biggest rules we have is No Hazing.

Anyways, I gotta run, but I'll check back here later tonight. If Frosh Week is what you're talking about, I'll give you more details.

[Smile]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one can force you to do anything. If anybody forces anything on you, you need to go right to the RA or the university administration. You should not have to fear going to school.

That all said, i've never done the orientation/initiation thing myself. My dad tells me that it's all 'in good fun' though ... No one is supposed to get hurt (physically or otherwise).

Again, if anybody puts you in a situation you're uncomfortable w/, get out. You don't have to be there and you don't have to take the abuse. Tell someone.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

But what if I simply don't want to go at all ? Is it requested to go, am I obligated to ?

P.S.Blysse Norwood. This is not quite the same thing, this isn't actually frosh week because it lasts only a day but this is really similar, the time of activities ( drinking....) So if you want to help, go for it.

[ 08-21-2006, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're not obligated to do anything ... You're certainly not obligated to go to after-school activities (unless it is part of your education and arranged in advance. I've never heard this about orientation/initiation.)

If someone asks you to go and you don't want to go, say so. Be honest. There is no reason you HAVE to (or should) go to this if you don't want to.

What are you so worried is going to happen if you don't go?

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

I don't know, getting expelled of my university or people getting back at me. I've heard this last one so many times.

--------------------

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

You're not going to be expelled for not going to orientation activities! Class is one thing ... Orientation/initiation is something totally different.

If people try to 'get back at you', you tell the school's administration. Believe me, universities do not want their students assaulting one another for fun. Doesn't look good on them ... Doesn't make students want to come and pay them for higher education.

Do you have a faculty contact at your university? I would suggest you call or email and discuss your concerns with them.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Thanks a lot Smurfie for reassuring me. I am a lot less worried now.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.