Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » How to write a novel?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to write a novel?
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I got a laptop recently and I decided I would write a novel on it. So far I have 1 1/2 chapters, but I was just wondering if anyone knew who I could send it to to get feedback. And who to send it to when it's done to see about getting it published. Thanks.

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, if only it were that easy.

Getting published is an incredibly long and hard road. Once you have a finished, polished novel, you need to start out by finding an agent who is willing to represent your work and contact publishing companies for you. You can find lists of agents at the library or on the internet, but separating the reputable agents from the scamsters is tough. And even if you do manage to find an agent, the search for a publisher will likely be just as long and difficult.

I'm not saying this to discourage you, but merely as a heads-up from someone who's been there and owns a suitcase full of T-shirts. I've been trying to get published for 5 years now.

In the meantime, you can let friends and family read your novel. Maybe even ask your English teacher if s/he'd like to take a look, if you want a more professional opinion.

Oh, and if you're looking for motivation and a community of avid writers, check out NaNoWriMo.org. The website is used year-round by novelists, but in the month of November they conduct the 'National Novel Writing Month': You write a 50k word novel in 30 days. It's insane and fun. Might help you with that novel you're working on, too.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9181 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Matthew
Activist
Member # 29890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Matthew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with September. I wrote a novel three years ago, and I spoke to an agent. The agent said, "It is impossible for an unknown writer to publish a novel." I realized this was true and didn't waste my time trying.

Most books published are nonfiction. Famous people can get novels published -- people will buy them just because of who the author is. I'm sure there are exceptions, but they are very very rare. The number of novels published is tiny compared to the number of people who write them.

In college I studied electrical engineering, but I took six semesters of creative writing. I was the only engineer I knew who took creative writing. It was my unofficial minor. Once one of my teachers said to me: "You are too immature to even think of being a great writer. Your vocabulary is still developing and your life experiences are still too limited." At the time I thought the comment condescending. Now I agree that there is a lot of truth in it, though I would have put it more kindly.

We learn throughout our lives, and the older you get the more interesting experiences you'll have to base writing on. I don't think you'd want it any other way. You wouldn't want to get duller as you get older.

What I recommend is practice. Also, learn writing mechanics (punctuation primarily). I suggest reading Lynn Truss' Eats Shoots and Leaves. Also Strunk and Whites Elements of Style. Those are two easy reads and pretty much tell all.

Then show us here what you've learned.

Posts: 220 | From: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeqque
Neophyte
Member # 27972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeqque     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could always try getting some of your short stories published in magazines, e-zines and journals first... having work already published and being a known name for writing are good ways to get a larger piece considered for publication.
Posts: 10 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recommend picking up a copy of Stephen King's "On Writing."

He gives his best advice for writing in general, which will be good if you want to finish your novel. He says it all straight out. Also, Anne Lamott's "Bird by Bird" is an excellent one to pick up as well.

Basically, start small. Write a few short stories, and shop them around. Get yourself a few published credits, *then* start looking for an agent to help you. They look for the next best thing, but you've got to prove that you are.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All these sound really good - thanks.
I'll definitely try the short-story idea. Thanks.

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.