Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » school + work worried !

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: school + work worried !
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you guys have a part-time job while going to school ?

It's just that this summer I had a job. They would really like to keep me all year long. So they asked me if I was willing to work part-time during the school year. The thing is I would really like to but I'm a little worried. Here's why.

I'm beginning higher stuides now, medical school to be exact. Most people say that it is demanding a lot and that medical students often don't have time to work, they're pretty much studying all the time when not taking a break from it.

I know it's been asked a lot during university visits, whether or not the students there had a job. We've been told that most of them don't, that they simply like take some rests during the time they're not studying instead fo working. But yeah, there are some who does but they said it was really hard, that it was demanding a lot to mix both work and school.

I am a really studious person. Always spend a lot of times in my books. Of course, I wouldn't need that much time because I get pretty high marks but I do that even though. Guess I want to be as good as possible in my tests. I just hate getting bad marks. I may be paranoid and crazy but when I get 87 % it's bad for me. I was always in the 90s in every classes I took.

So I'm wondering what I should do now. What if it takes away me time for my studying and I end up getting bad marks ? I would like a job to pay for medical school (because it's really expensive) but I don't want it to ruin the career ahead of me, you know ?

Any toughts ?

[ 08-15-2006, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'm not in anything nearly as demanding as med school and for the first year of university, I didn't take a job. I worked what was essentially full-time during my next two years and HATED it by the end, even though I enjoyed the job more or less (it was a 24-7 type on call job on top of my studies. Lots of late nights when I didn't need them, like before an exam!) This past year, I worked a leisurely 10 hours and week, and that was much better - my grades were better than ever and I was able to cultivate a long-term relationship in the process.

For med school? There is no way in heck I would try juggling a job and the school work load. One of the things that was a hard jump for me from high school to college was learning to balance the work load. I was like you, in that I coasted through my high school years but once I got to school I needed to be able to plan ahead and organize my papers and seminars so I wasn't super overloaded by the end of each term. Luckily, I learned it fast but I had to learn my limits.

I would give med school a shot on its own. You can always take on a job if you think you can later, but you can't always drop a job when the load is too much for you as easily, you know? Like you said, you're paying a lot of money to be there - it'd be best if you were getting your money's worth and not burning yourself out. Good luck!

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
What are you studying in by the way ?

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently in Biblical Studies at my university, though I've run the gamut of English, Philosophy and International Studies as well. Both Biblical and International Studies required second lanaguages, and as I'm sure you know, studying a language takes up a ton of time, which is why my jobs interfered at times with my schoolwork.

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second what Jane has said.

I worked part time during my first two years of nursing school. I was living at home and was able to decide how many/few hours i wanted. I moved away from home for my last two years and i don't think i could've held a job if i tried.

I would suggest you take at least the first semester off of work and then re-evalaute.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.