Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Hopeless Job Search

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hopeless Job Search
awons
Neophyte
Member # 29133

Icon 9 posted      Profile for awons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this belongs here but I don't really know where else to go..

I am 17 years old & I left highschool without finishing Year 11 this year.. I've been trying since I was about 15 to get a job ANYWHERE & every place I've applied to has rejected me, except McDonald's; who jerked me around & I think another girl has taken my place there (I never started working there, though)..

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, I've gotten to be quite confident in job interviews, I just have a lack of experience.. But it's a Catch 22, I need to GET the experience to have it.. & I can't do that. I don't live in the U.S so suggestions of WHERE to apply probably wont be useful.. I don't know what to do, I can't find work ANYWHERE & my parents are starting to get really angry because I do nothing & have no money.

How can I find work? Has anyone else had this problem?

Posts: 28 | From: Here | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you take the G.E.D. when you dropped out? Your dropout status and lack of diploma from high school are absolutely not going to be helping you here.

Too, is going back to school an option?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
awons
Neophyte
Member # 29133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for awons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't have the G.E.D? here & I don't know what it's equal to..

I actually left school in 2005 & tried to go back this year, but it didn't work out. I am definitely going to go back & complete years 11 & 12 but I don't feel like I'm ready yet. I know that sounds like an excuse but I have no idea what I'm going to do with my life yet & I cannot seem to get driven to achieve in school.. I'm not looking for a career as such, just a job.. any job!

I know that my dropping out & lack of education aren't helping but it seems so easy for other people I've known in similar situations.

Posts: 28 | From: Here | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where are you at?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
awons
Neophyte
Member # 29133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for awons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
=

[ 12-17-2006, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: awons ]

Heather
Member # 3

Okaie dokie.

Suffice it to say, I'd really suggest you just go back to school. If you can handle a job, really, you can handle high school. Time does go by fast, and there's just no sense in making your life harder when it can be so easy to make it simpler. How about seeing your school counselor and talking about this?

That said, there is apparently an Oz equivalent to the GED of the states, a high school equivalency. You can ask the school counselor where you went for specifics, or TAFE colleges, apparently, can offer info and/or equivalency.

(I''ll ping our Aussie volunteer on this tomorrow. Beppie may know more.)

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

awons
Neophyte
Member # 29133

I just wanted to make an update to this extremely old post :]

I've looked into the school thing since then, basically what I am planning to do is try & really think about what I want to do with my life.. I am planning to start my Year 12 Certificate in 2008, taking 2 subjects per year for 2 years. I know, it may sound lazy, but I do not feel ready for full time schooling yet, and that's just my rough plan.

At the moment I have 2 jobs :] One is not so great, the other is really great. I am also doing a TAFE Certificate in Retail Operations :]

Although I do agree with you about the being able to handle a job/school thing, but I had some serious anxiety issues at school & got pretty sick from them. I'm very.. Scared.. To tell you the truth.

Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this is an option in Australia, but could you possibly finish out high school online? My friend has anxiety issues about school as well, and found that being able to do things from home really solved the problem.

Best of luck! [Smile]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
awons
Neophyte
Member # 29133

I've looked to do it by correspondence but my parents aren't supportive of that. I'm not completely sure, I'm going to spend the first few months of the year checking out all the options :]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.