Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » cooking bloopers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: cooking bloopers
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that we have a bunch of silly blooper threads going on, I thought I'd add my own. What silly mistakes have you or your friends made in the kitchen? What were the consequences? Did you ever do it again?

My worst one was the first time I was baking a cake. I was working on it with my cousin, and we were constantly lost. At one point, it said that you needed to melt a candy bar slightly in the microwave to soften it. So, silly innocent me, I put it in with the alluminium wrapper paper and all. I had never seen anything like it. The whole kitchen went dark and there were sparks coming out of the microwave. It looked like someone had set off a roman candle inside it, and it made buzzing noises. I screamed, but I think I was too shocked to do anything. [Eek!] After 5 seconds or so, it stopped, leaving my cousin and me wide eyed, paralized and laughing our heads off because of my stupidity. Luckily, the microwave wasn't damaged. I didn't know you weren't supposed to put alluminium in microwaves. Don't try this at home!

Once my boyfriend and I were cooking Teriyaki salmon together, and it said you had to put the salmon in oil and cook it. I told him not to put too much, but I guess he didn't hear me, because he put in A LOT. The salmon started jumping, and the oil was practically erupting in angry bubbles. We were afraid to go near it, so we huddled at a safe distance while we watched the bubbles almost shoot out from the pan. It was actually pretty funny. A very "eek!!" moment.

A friend of mine also had a really funny incident with a microwave. He had heard that if you put a lemom in the microwave for a few seconds, it would be easier to squeeze. He overestimated the "few seconds" and put it in for 45 seconds. He was talking to his cousin when suddenly the microwave door shot open and the lemon came flying out, squirtig juice everywhere! He makes it sound so hillarious [Big Grin] .

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
once, i was making spaghetti, and i reached for the black pepper. i went to dump some of it into the sauce, but it turns out, i had grabbed the curry powder by mistake. so i dumped in a bumch of curry into my spaghetti sauce. the two canisters were almost identical. darn you McCormicks spices!!!

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine was definitely a big foul-up. I was about 15, home alone because my mother was teaching summer school and I was on medication that didn't let me go out in the sun. I woke up hungry, so I decided to cook hotdogs. Normally, it seems to take about 15 minutes for the water to boil. After I put the pot on the stove, I went to check my email, and ended up entirely forgetting about the hotdogs for close to an hour. Needless to say, I ruined that pot, had nothing to eat, and filled the house with smoke.

If only I'd had a laptop back then.

[ 07-22-2006, 06:17 AM: Message edited by: daria319 ]

--------------------
"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was younger, I tried my hand at making pancakes for the family (we were big on the breakfast for dinner thing.) I accidentally put baking SODA into them instead of baking POWDER. Oh, they were salty, nasty and not edible, though my dad made a valiant effort.

Nailo, I did the chocolate bar in the microwave thing too. Only, I thought that the house was going to burn down, so I ran out the front door screeching and dragging my siblings with me. My father, who had been in his downstairs office came up, saw the problem, turned OFF the microwave (oops!) and asked me, "What, you were just going to let me burn?" (double oops!) We laugh about it now, but I was so embarassed when it happened.

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppybluefrogs
Activist
Member # 22137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppybluefrogs         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh god, i've had so many cooking bloopers i don't know where to start!

I did a GCSE in food technology and that involved designing and making a snack desert. I decided i'd experiment with flapjacks and try to make an apple and cinnamon one. So i started out making this apple and cinnnamon flavoured flapjack and when i got to the cinnamon part i picked up my cinnamon jar measured the right teaspoon amount and dumped it in then mixed it. However when it came to tasting it i realised it tasted quite spicy. Too spicy to be cinnamon. Turns out i'd picked up my friend's cardamom jar instead and put that in...

Another time i was making Spaghetti bolognese for my family whilst trying to do some coursework at the same time. I was redrafting this particular english piece and i got totally engrossed in it. When i looked up i realised that there was smoke pouring from my kitchen and i'd forgotten to turn the heat down on the bolognese sauce. Completely burnt to the bottom of the pan and we all went a little hungry that night.

Posts: 228 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GCSE in food technology? That sounds so neat! We have the IGCSE program in my school too, but we don't get that many options since we're not in the UK [Frown] . Although I'm quite happy with my choices. 20th century History and French [Smile] . What's the course like?

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My biggest all-time cooking disaster would have to be when I was making rice (and it's RICE! how hard is it?) and I put in a tablespoon of salt instead of a teaspoon. And yeah, my boyfriend at the time was over for dinner. So much for my culinary genius.

Added for those who have had microwave problems- not my mistake, but my best friend has killed FOUR microwaves and a toaster oven in various manners, most involving flames. So she's not allowed to cook *ever* again, and I feel less stupid.

[ 07-24-2006, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: not_a_hobgoblin ]

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"
"But she's our witch. Cut her down."

Posts: 174 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to make a pot of tea, and accidentally turned on the wrong burner -- the one that my mom had set a homemade loaf of bread wrapped in a teatowel on earlier in the day. Towel caught fire, the entire kitchen filled with smoke, and I had to put it out with the fire extinguisher.

So yes. I set a fire trying to boil water.

--------------------
"I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long"

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenna D.
Activist
Member # 18964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenna D.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once screwed up mashed potatoes. Don't ask me how, but I screwed them up.

I am woefully unable to make pancakes. My siblings do not let me even attempt pancakes anymore because they're always raw in the middle.

Once I forgot about a kettle I had on, and it wasn't one that stops automatically, it just keeps going, and it kept going, until almost all the water had boiled out of it.

I won't even count how many burner covers I've ruined from turning on the wrong element.

Posts: 72 | From: Scarborough, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppybluefrogs
Activist
Member # 22137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppybluefrogs         Edit/Delete Post 
Nailo whatever you do, never take the GCSE food technology. It is the stupidest course ever. You don't get taught how to cook, it's all about convenience food and the most complicated thing you get taught is how to make bread. Everything else is all convenience foods, allergies and things like Ecoli. It isn't interesting and it isn't fun. And your coursework which equals 60% of the course is to design and make a food product that usually has to be some sort of convenience food.
Posts: 228 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just remembered another one that I shared with my current roommate before she was my roommate. We were in her dorm at about 2 am and absolutely DYING for popcorn, so we tossed a bag in her roommate's uber-ghetto microwave, and hit the popcorn button. By the time it beeped, the bag was kind of black. We opened it, and there were flames, so we threw it in the sink and turned the water on. That just made it smoke so we freaked out, and our friend Andrew (who had been laughing the whole time) grabbed the bag and tried to flush it..Needless to say, that did NOT work.

--------------------
"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sexualghost
Activist
Member # 26692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sexualghost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm Cooking Bloopers...Alright so In grade 8 I took HomeEC. Had an awesome teacher, unfortunatly we were baking muffins, and Oops, i doubled the recipe by accident put to much Baking Powder in the recipe and well...Let's just say i was cleaning out the oven after class...

Asides from that one little incident i can't remember anything else, and i've become a pretty good cook.

Posts: 42 | From: Drifter | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to not always follow the directions exactly when I cook, especially when I'm making something I've made a thousands times before. So a few years back a friend of mine and I decided to bake some cookies, but I totally forgot to add the flour. They looked fine until we put them on the cookie sheet and in the oven, where the basically liquid dough melded together into a giant lake, and then proceeded to drown the bottom of the oven. Cleaning the bottom of the oven off was not a fun time. What really made the whole thing funny was how we spent 10 minutes looking through the oven door, trying to figure out why they weren't turning into actual cookies.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo, I set things on fire too, Aria!

I've got a kitchen towel with a little hole in it from where I accidentally let it fall onto the heating element in the oven while trying to remove some baked chicken. And then (the next day, I believe) I accidentally dropped some dry pasta onto the burner on the stove while pouring the pasta into the boiling water. Who knew that pasta could catch fire so fast?

Um, so yes...I love to cook, but I can be a bit of a fire hazard at times.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I'm not really much of a cook because it's not my thing so I don't really have those cooking bloopers. But one time when I was young, i was heatin' up the baked potatos for dinner, and I used something else that wasn't tin foil, and the microwave almost turned black. Opps!

Keep those bloopers coming though. Laughter is a great stress-reliever! [Big Grin]

--------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whiskeyginger
Neophyte
Member # 29471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whiskeyginger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done a few stupid things in the kitchen, mostly involving the microwave so I tend just to use the stove and oven I have much better luck with them.

I guess this really isn't cooking but just another funny mishap, I was ill one day, home alone, and watching the some mindless daytime tv. I think it was one the View or something simalar to that show that said something about heating up wash clothes with rosemary for a refreshing clense. Well I did everything right until the point where the actually button hitting came in. I have like a super duty heavy arms kick your butt microwave. And didn't adjust the time accordingly so by the time I came back to get the wash cloth out of the Nuker it was engulfed in flames and nothing but a pile of black dust on the plate. House full of smoke yada yada yada.

This one is slightly more embarassing. I was house sitting at this gaint huge mansion. I'm talking 20+rooms and 6 bathrooms-those numbers do not include the pool house. Oh yes, there is one of them. The owners told me I could have a few people over to keep me company and what not and I wasn't going to be another teen movie and disrepect them or mess it up for the next time by having a huge party. So I invited a few people over, no more then 5. To chill, watch movies, swim have a few cocktail and basically pretend we were living the high life.

Well everything was going fine and while my friends and I were smoking up on the balcony over looking the entire estate someone asked me to make some food. I'm usually the chef in my group of friends, I make some dank food and everyone loves it. Well I was a little lazy from smoking so when I went to the kitchen I just threw in 2 bags of popcorn. Put it on for what I thought was 3:00 minutes and ran back up to the balcony to finish smoking. Well apparently we all forgot about the popcorn, and couldn't hear it go off becasue we were so far away from it. (I forgot to mention also that we had a sound system going that would put any Ozzfest bands to shame) and didn't hear anything but the music. All of a sudden I turned around to go back into the house and there was a police man and a firefighter standing right behind me. I must have jumped 1000 ft in the air.

Come to find out I had put the popcorn of for 30:00 minutes and it errupted into flames which set off the fire alarm, which is connect to the fire station (so anytime it goes off the fire guys come unless you call them-which the owners warneed me about), they fire station called the house but we couldn't hear the phone, so they fire men called the owners cell phones letting them know that the alarm at there house was going off and no one was there and to ask for permisson to check out the scene. So it was a HUGE mess up. When the owners got back a week later they just laughed it off but there house still could not be aired out and stunk like burnt popcorn even after 4 bottles of Frabreeze.

--------------------
Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about.

Posts: 36 | From: HustlinEverywhere | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leanmeanrunningmachine
Neophyte
Member # 29939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leanmeanrunningmachine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nailo I had a similar oil incident. I was cooking potstickers for my boyfriend and put some oil in the pan, and it was flying everywhere. Some oil even got on the burner and started a small fire, and by that time I couldn't just be a bystander anymore so I pick up the pan and without thinking I place in on the PLASTIC cutting board. So I bet you can guess what happens the pan melts the board and gets stuck. Opps sorry mom!

Another time a friend and I were making chocolate chip cookies and put two tablespoons instead of two teaspoons of backing soda in YUCK!

Happy cooking everyone!

Posts: 18 | From: Mass | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ceri
Neophyte
Member # 30521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ceri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, this thread is perfect for me. I love to cook but I'm pretty prone to mistakes, I've even messed up grilled cheese!

One thing I can remember is making cookies which had a ton of flour in them. I was feeling lazy so instead of mixing with a spoon I grabbed my mom's electric mixer and tried to use it. Not sure which speed to use I set it on high, flour went everywhere. And at the time I was wearing a black shirt as well...

Another incident involved some cookies which I put in the oven only to pull them out later and find that they had dripped off the side of the pan and onto the bottom of the oven.

I've never caught something on fire but my sister has. She wanted to have some chicken fingers and the package said to put them in a microwave for 1 1/2 minutes but it was written in a weird way so she thought it said 11 1/2 minutes. Next thing I knew she was screaming "There's something wrong with the microwave!". So I ran into the kitchen and threw the microwave door open and the kitchen was suddenly filled with black smoke and a brutn smell. I wasn't sure whether or not it was on fire so I got me and my siter outside and my sister had called my grandma. At about the same time my grnadma and my mom (just out of work) pulled into the driveway. When we went inside we found out that the smell had been caused by the plastic plate melting. The chicken had been reduced to this black gooey looking lump. The house stank for the next week and now my sister almost never uses the microwave.

Posts: 21 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm another one who's messed up cookies. I was making Anzac cookies, and I thought the dough was a bit too thick, My food tech teacher said, 'Just put some more water in.' So of course I put a bit in straight from the tap. That ended its life as Anzac flapjack. [Smile]
As well, I was making toad in the hole in food tech once, and I filled the roasting dish right to the top with batter. A few minutes later, black smoke was coming out of the back of the oven. Of course, I opened the oven door to see what was going on, and of course that let oxygen in so it all went up in flames. For the record, it turned out delicious.

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Excuse my ignorance of British terms [Embarrassed] even if I go to a British School...

What's Anzac? And what's toad in the hole?

--------------------

Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I forgot I'm talking to people from around the world here. [Smile]
Toad in the hole is kind of like a Yorkshire pudding (erm... kind of a light, fluffy batter thing) with sausages in it. (FYI, its gorgeous [Smile] )
Anzac biscuits are Australian actually: they're named after the ANZACs (Australia and New Zealand Army Corps), and they're kind of a coconutty oatmeal thing. It's traditional to eat them around 25th April in Australia, which is ANZAC day (sort of a second Remembrance Day as far as I can make out - lots of ANZACs died in the World Wars.)
As you may have guessed (correctly), I have family in Australia. [Smile]

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.