Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » therapy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: therapy
jakimboor
Activist
Member # 21385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jakimboor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
iīve been going to see a psychoanalist lately. heīs a psychiatrist but works as a psychoanalist. iīve been going for no particular reason, just because i thought that it would be good and would probably help me. itīs kinda fun to go there and i enjoy it. still, i keep wondering about it being useful. i think it isnīt. i just go there and talk about anything that comes to my mind for about an hour and then go home. whatīs really the point of that? he just sits there and nods and asks me questions at times. itīs not as if i donīt like to go there, but i think itīs useless because i get no answers, no advice on anything, nothing. so, lately iīve been thinking itīs sorta wasting my time and money, even though itīs not boring or anything like it. have any of you gone or go to therapy? what do you think of it?? does it change over time? (iīve just been there for about 2 months)thanks for your comments!

[ 06-14-2006, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: jakimboor ]

Posts: 55 | From: South America | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Know that Psychoanalysis is not the same as therapy. Therapy is geared towards one specific problem, and learning how to solve that problem/cope with it. Analysis, on the other hand, is not that focused. Analysis can take months or even years before you feel an effect. If you want to work on a specific problem, analysis is probably not right for you and you should seek out a therapist instead.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joyfulgirl
Activist
Member # 29302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joyfulgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've been in therapy since i was 7 (i've seen at least 10) and it only started "working" a few months ago after i turned 18 and decided to keep seeing someone. i've never been to a psychoanalist, and i'm not really sure how that differs from regular therapy, but i know quite a bit about being in therapy. it started working for me because it was my choice, not my parents, and i decided to focus on a few specific issues that i wanted to fix. also, i decided to stop bullsh*tting and work with my therapist, not against her. so, as long as you trust your therapist and are completely honest and focused, you will give it the chance to wark wonders.

--------------------
"they say you can bear anythng if you can tell a story about it."

-sue monk kidd
the mermaid chair

Posts: 50 | From: western massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jakimboor
Activist
Member # 21385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jakimboor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for your posts...iīm actually doing psychotherapy, not psychoanalysis...still,what it consists of, is me talking for about an hour about whatever i want..(sitting on a sofa, not lying down as in psychoanalysis). i think itīs kinda weird, because i donīt talk about a specific issue but i just talk about whatever comes to my mind and the therapist doesnīt say much at all... i donīt know what to think...
Posts: 55 | From: South America | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Different therapists adopt very different approaches.

Some therapists (often those influenced by psychoanalysis) believe very strongly in not giving you answers or advice, because they feel that might influence you; they aim to use questions to get you to think about what you're saying and work things out for yourself. It sounds like that could be what your therapist is doing.

So you could work with that, or look for another therapist who has a different approach if you think you'd prefer that.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.