Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Menstruation in the ancient world.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Menstruation in the ancient world.
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came upon this quote and really almost peed my pants/snorted Coke through my nose. Enjoy!

"On the approach of a woman in this state [menstrual], must will become sour, seeds . . . sterile, grafts wither away, garden plants are parched up, and the fruit will fall from the tree . . . Her very look, even, will dim the brightness of mirrors, blunt . . . steel, and take away the polish from ivory. A swarm of bees, if looked upon by her, will die."

- Pliny's "Natural History" ,77 AD.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh the misogyny...

Though rather vampiric in a cool sort of way. [Wink]

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppybluefrogs
Activist
Member # 22137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppybluefrogs         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard this sort of thing before. Apparently there are still tribes that believe this and make their women live in seperate villages when menstruating.
Posts: 228 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes. It's inspired me to rename my days on the rag to "bee slaughtering days".

I just thought it was highly amusing to imagine a menstruating woman having juju ninja powers. Sort of empowering bit of misogyny, yes?

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's inspired me to rename my days on the rag to "bee slaughtering days".

That's truly awesome. I may have to steal that phrase.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarHallie
Activist
Member # 27531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarHallie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lauren- I love all your topics and tidbits! Thank you for all the interesting material. :-)

--------------------
"Sex without love is an empty experience, but as empty experiences go, it's one of the best."
-Woody Allen

Posts: 231 | From: California, USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I've still got a few more days of bee slaughtering left this month. I should do something constructive with my "juju ninja powers" while they last. Perhaps I'll hire myself out to a pest control agency.
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Ah yes, pest control would be great. Making things rot would also be brilliant for gardening.

And thanks, Hallie! Glad you enjoy. [Smile]

PenguinBoy
Activist
Member # 28394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenguinBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by guiltyangel210:
I've heard this sort of thing before. Apparently there are still tribes that believe this and make their women live in seperate villages when menstruating.

on the michael palin documentory i saw, there was a society between the mantains who's menstruating women go to stay in a seperate village.

That particular example however, didn't believe it was evil or infectuous. it was just kinda like giving the girls a break and cleansing and refreshing for a few days. It was all quite cute, and they enjoyed it.

--------------------
Jacob - my Scarleteen Blog - Please help sustain scarleteen

Posts: 633 | From: Bedfordshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Penguin Boy, although that could well be the case-- I can certainly see how something like this does not necessarily have to by misogynistic-- it's important to remember that Michael Palin tries to keep his documentaries as uncontentious as possible, and will often gloss things over, particularly with regard to gender, in order to avoid upsetting people.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PenguinBoy
Activist
Member # 28394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenguinBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
does he? i dno. in this case however he definately questioned them directly on what it meant to them. To both men and women.

--------------------
Jacob - my Scarleteen Blog - Please help sustain scarleteen

Posts: 633 | From: Bedfordshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keekee
Activist
Member # 28826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keekee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry : this made me laugh ... note: this is ancient world not advice!!! .... enjoy and laugh LOL
http://www.mum.org/germnt5.htm
keekee
xxx

--------------------
Yes, know thyself: in great concerns or small, Be this thy care, for this, my friend, is all. - Juvenal

Abuse can and will only survive and thrive if silence is kept. So lets speak out?!

Posts: 83 | From: Dagenham, Essex UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the Museum of Menstruation. I do adore that web page. [Smile]

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rory
Neophyte
Member # 29215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rory     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, that's awesome. "Can kill a swarm of bees in a single glare." Now we all know what Wonder Woman's true power was.
Posts: 8 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just spend some time bopping around a bit at the Museum of Menstruation (I'd never been there before) and I quite enjoyed it. Some of the artwork was very lovely.
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.