Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » My poem against alcohol

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My poem against alcohol
Airem
Activist
Member # 24638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Airem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if this is in the right place but oh well here goes

night time again so my poetry's flowing
always seems to happen when life's really blowing
"i know it could be worse" keeps running through my head
Some in my position have wished they were dead
but i don't cause i know i gotta make it through
i gotta be the best in everything that i do
Life's my inspiration and caitlin's my drive
She makes me feel amazing like shes the reason i'm alive
this isn't a love poem but i give credit where it's due
because without her constant love i know that I'd be through.
Thoughts of my dad and alcohol always keep me down
To those who have this habit, take a look around
It may seem funny and harmless to some of your peers
to drink away your sorrows in a river of beers
Such actions have consequence so try not to go numb
because once your body's hooked tomorrow may never come
It's the deadliest addiction one could ever face
A want, a need so strong that nothing can take it's place
I tried to save my Dad, i really did try
laying on his deathbed he asked me if he had to die
His words still haunt me it's one of the reasons i'm not asleep
i dream about it because the pain is so deep
i try to forget about it but the memory remains
The reason my dad didn't have enough blood in his veins
The reason I'll never go hunting, fishing or any of that ****
The reason i get mad when anyone talks about it
The reason i can't say "hey dad" anymore only "hey mom"
The reason this anger in me is like a ticking bomb

The reason, is alcohol and how i HATE it
This is my statement
I hope you appreciate it

Posts: 157 | From: Athens, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice poem, Airem.

I'm so sorry about your dad.

I had an aunt who raised me and was more of a mother to me than my real mother was. However, she was an alcoholic, very depressed, and possibly bi-polar. She used alcohol as a way to hide her pain, and one dreadful night I guess her pain got the best of her. She committed suicide. I feel your pain. Although she didn't give birth to me, I called her mom, and as far as we were concerned, she was just that.

[ 04-28-2006, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: oOo Lea oOo ]

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really feel for you on this one...my dad's an alcoholic, and he's been my main source of grief all my life.

I too get angry when I see my classmates take it so lightly and make fun of me because I don't drink. I find it saddening that 95% of children of alcoholics become alcoholics themselves or marry one. A psychiatrist specializing in addictions told me that; he also said that I'm likely to be in the 5% difference. I really believe the best thing we can do is try to be that difference, for everyone's sake.

I too have also felt that my boyfriend has been the reason I'm still around. Sometimes all the memories just catch up with me, and I feel overwhelmed. But luckily, I don't have to see him anymore. Now every time I feel a memory coming on, I think "that's not going to happen anymore. I'm not going to let that happen." At least in my case, I wanted it to be this way.

I really hope you can recover from this. I know how hard it can be. Trust me. If you ever need to talk, feel free to start up a thread on the Support Groups section and I'd be more than happy to listen [Smile] .

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.