Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » poetry

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: poetry
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone! I just read a few days ago that Mz. Scarlet is a poet! I thought that was so great because I write poetry too ^^;. Its far from being Neruda's work, but I love doing it . Anyway, I just wanted to know who else is a poet here on Scarleteen! It would be great if I could get some feedback on my work, if that wouldn't make my posts too long or too many ^^;.
Any ideas on how to get published? I'm working on editing the 40 or so poems that I have, but when I'm done I'd love to make a book out of them . I have around 15 in spanish... a bilingual poetry book, maybe?

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 10 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have our fair share of writers here. They do poetry, creative writing, non-fiction, etc. It might be fun if you share one or two, but remember, too many can get cumbersome in a forum. If you want to, feel free to start a thread in Village People.

Publishing takes a great deal of time, dedication, and hard work. Miz S, who is currently trying to publish a book, could give you plenty of info on this.

You might want to browse around the Scarleteen Book Stuff forum and read the various updates, spanning a loooooong period of time. Good reading.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 12 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Poetry is my gift, I think. It is my favorite past time activity, and when I am feeling joyous or disturbed, poetry brings me excitement and acts as a companion.

I have hundreds of poems I have written over the years, starting from my early age of 5.

I am also into music, so I write songs. I have converted many of my poems into songs, even.

I had an awesome experience a few summers ago when a site I was trying to view had a pop-up add for a poetry contest. You had to be over the age of 18, and I wasn't so I constructed a poem and used my aunt's name (with her permission, of course).

My aunt called me hysterically laughing, reading a letter she recieved in the mail. My poem was one of the 150 chosen to be published in a book.

Also, I won a chance to baltimore, MD, to enter into a poetry contest. The winner could win up to $20,000. In entering the contest, my gift would be a free copy of the book. Of course I couldn't enter because I wouldn't be myself. I would be my aunt, and I didn't want to enter under a false name. However, I still won! I have the letter and the poem for proof. And even though the poem is published in a book under my aunts name, I have the satisfaction and joy of knowing I created something so beautiful that everyone else will get the joy I had of writing it while they read it. It was an awesome experience, and gave me pride in my creativity.

[This message has been edited by oOo Lea oOo (edited 02-23-2006).]

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarHallie
Activist
Member # 27531

Icon 10 posted      Profile for StarHallie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I write! Poetry is one of my passions. (Classical music being number one). Funny you should mention Neruda, he is one of my favorites. I'm working on becoming bilingual...im halfway there. I just need immersion. Maybe then I'll be able to understand ALL of his spanish poetry! Whitman, E.E. Cummings, and of course the great masterpeices of Shakespeare are among my many favorites.

T.S. Elliot is my current obsession. Check out Portrait of a Lady- absolutely beautiful: http://www.bartleby.com/198/2.html

Posts: 231 | From: California, USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 10 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, StarHallie! That was a beautiful poem. I enjoyed it!

Whitman and Shakespeare are also among my favorite poets.

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to have just found this.

Hate to be a buzzkill, but anymore, poetry is absolutely the hardest genre to get a book published in. Even very well-established, previously-published poets have a hard time.

Mostly, that's because most publishing, and certainly with big publishers, is all about money, and poetry just doesn't sell. So, a plan to make a living as a poet alone? Not the best plan. Better, if you want to be a proffessional writer, to learn to write well in a few different genres, or to go for teaching as a sideline.

However, go on and get yourself a copy of the most recent Writer's Market. That is a list of places to publish all writing, and you'll see plenty of listings for literary magazines which do publish poetry as well as other genres, and some which publish only poetry.

You can also self-publish a chapbook of work: it's very common for poets to do so, and is generally considered respectable, especially given the limited market for poetry.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PenguinBoy
Activist
Member # 28394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenguinBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really? I love reading poetry books! i'm supprised they don't sell well. I think maybe that there's allot of supply when it comes to poetry too. So many people write poetry, but only a few people i know have tried writing full length novels.

I write loads of poems, i got a whole scribbly sketch book full of them, and torn out pages for exercise books and text books with scribbled verses on them. Some of them are quite embarassingly self-pitying to read back on, but some of them make me so proud- some of my metaphors and sounds just roll round my head. It's so satisfying when you find words which sum up the confusing world of feelings.

I too have been putting my poems into songs! The first band i was in didn't like them because they were set in the world of "lyrics must sound like steriotypical lyrics" like"oooooh baby, you make me feel so alive". i'm all solo now and got a load of songs on www.myspace.com/patchworkpenguin.

I think i saw a thread on here with a title concerning poems. i'm a'go check that out.

--------------------
Jacob - my Scarleteen Blog - Please help sustain scarleteen

Posts: 633 | From: Bedfordshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sekretful
Neophyte
Member # 28576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sekretful     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
0o0o im passionate about poetry. thats my way of letting out all my emotions tho im only 16 its so much easier to write a poem to myself thn tlk to anyone about my emotions and problems.

we all have our differences with poetry tho like me. my poems are usually read between the lines kind of thing. alwaes emotion behind the words i write and most my poems rhyme lol i like being creative!

--------------------
*sekretful*

Posts: 19 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.