Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Need Help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need Help
babygirl88
Activist
Member # 9745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babygirl88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am crying so much right now. I have been working at a CVS for two years now, and have never enjoyed it. However, I held onto the job because hey, it's a job, and my stepmom like won't allow me to live unless I have one.

So I called work to get my schedule this morning, and all that was said was that I needed to talk to my Boss, who was on a conference call. So I thanked my co-worker, hung up the phone and freaked out for about an hour. I just called back to talk to my Boss and she says I either need to increase my availability or she "can't keep me on" anymore, meaning, I'll have to be fired or quit or something. My boss says she can't keep people on who don't have flexible schedules any longer, and that is completely understandable. However, I don't have a flexible schedule! I attend a demanding private school an hour away from home, as well as take classes at a University after my classes at my High School. I am a student. I spend just about all of my time and energy on schoolwork, but I am involved in other activities, too, plus, it's nice to get to see my friends every once in a while. I love social interaction.

I am just so scared right now because my stepmom is going to KILL me if I'm not working. I just need to make it through this last year of High School..... I am so close to graduating... I hate it with a passion and never thought I'd live to see my own graduation, but here I am, an arm's length away and.... JOB PROBLEMS, yet again. I thought I was fine, working the same 8-hr shift every saturday. That was secure, it has been since September. But now I guess that isn't enough, I need to be working more. And working more? For a place I hate? AND having to keep up with all of these other demands? I just can't do it....

I have been thinking about work a lot lately. I don't know EXACTLY why, but I've always had the worst anxiety about work. My job at CVS isn't as bad as some of the other jobs I've had, but I just get treated like dirt there despite all of my effort and hard work. It's never felt right, never felt comfortable.

I am thinking I can either look into transferring to a different CVS, or um.. I guess I would be forced to find another job somewhere else unless I feel like being disowned by my stepmom. I've been considering transferring anyhow because my boss at my current store really is awful to deal with and besides, I drive quite a ways to get to work, whereas there are multiple CVS's closer to home.

AHHHH

If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it sooo much.

------------------
"It's something
unpredictable
but in the end is right
i hope you had the
time of your life"

Posts: 150 | From: !USA! | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first thing you need to do is ask for a meeting with your boss. Ask for clarification (What are flexible hours? Is there any way you can stay on if you can increase your hours?)

If it turns out that there is no way you can keep this job (or you don't want to), ask for a reference letter. They're not letting you go because you're a bad worker, they're letting you go because you're not as flexible as they need you to be. There's nothing wrong with that. You may be able to find a job for students, that only require that you work once/wk. They're out there.

If you want to transfer, you can ask about that when you meet with your boss. Then you may not even have to look for other jobs.

Good luck.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.