Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Depressed About My Grades

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depressed About My Grades
Member # 13662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichSM2         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone,

I just got back from taking my Educational Law final exam. I received my last paper, and I got a C on it. I got a C on the first paper. No matter how much I write on each page, or what I state on the issues, she draws X's over paragraphs and writes on the margins how irrelevant my paragraphs were and how I never addressed the legal issues. I realized that class participation was 30% and I barely participated in class. I always went to class, but never really formed my own opinions to the class. In other words, not only do I fear that I may get a C in the class. If she's really disappointed in me, she would also fail me.

I thought this class would be a survey course on a similar course I took during my sophomore on Race/Ethnicity and the U.S. Constitution. The professor did not use the socratic method or force us to write in legal language. I did very well in that class, as I was explored to a multitude of cases on different issues. I chose to write on a final paper of my choice and he just quizzed us on defining the background of the cases. This Educational Law class, however, has been a nightmare. Despite reading the case dockets, she encourages us to think like lawyers, used the Socratic Method, and graded harshly on papers. She did not care for the background of the issues; she only wanted to know the legal issue involved and how the supreme court justices ruled.

I just want to cry right now. I have never failed a 300-level course in my life. This has been a rough semester with constant deadlines and a heavier workload, but 300-level courses has never been so hard for me. It continues to bewilder me: what does she want and why does she grades so hard? She is a former attorney who went to a very prestigious law school and taught college law courses. I can kiss my grad school options good-bye because I will have three Cs (or 2 Cs and a D) on my transcript. I did better in my calculus clases than this course, and I have never failed a course until now.

Posts: 93 | From: Michigan, USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear that you haven't done as well in this class as you would have liked. It's a horrible feeling, but I swear, it's not the end of the world. From what you've said, it doesn't sound like you've failed the class at all. (And I promise you, you still have a shot of getting into grad school. I promise.)

As for the papers, after you got a C on the first one, did you talk to the professor to find out why? I've discovered that with my profs at least there's only so much information you can get from what they wrote on the paper itself, and going to their office and discussing it with them face to face is usually pretty helpful. (Especially if there's another paper you have to write for the class and you're not sure what they want.) Sometimes, unfortunately, whether we like it or not, as students we just have to learn what the teacher wants us to learn, whether it seems reasonable or completely out there. I've had some profs who've insisted on teaching some things that seem totally irrelevant to the clas, but if they want you to know that particular bit of information, then that's what you have to learn.

Anyways, I hope the rest of your exams go well if you have any left....try not to worry too much about this one. *hugs*

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does your University have a Writing or Learning Center? I work in one, and I can assure you they are a fantastic asset. Does your prof allow revisions? You could take your essay to the Writing Center and revise it.

I'm sorry this has been such a bad quarter for you. It will get better.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.