Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Teachers Making You Dance!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Teachers Making You Dance!
lucylu458
Activist
Member # 15584

Icon 10 posted      Profile for lucylu458     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
last friday, my spanish teacher had a dance instructer come in and teach us salsa dancing. we had to line up girls across from boys and get with whoever was across from us (not very convienent!) and get into a circle and do these different dance moves with our partner and then switch with the next couple (going around the circle). i had to dance with a bunch of guys, a few that i really didnt want to dance with. i didnt even get to dance with the guy i like! it was really funny when this guy in my grade (the comedian) was like "OH GOD!!!" when the dance instructor demonstrated with our History teacher. It was really funny tho. Did any teachers try to teach you guys a dance??

------------------
bye, have a nice life and yes, that is a threat.
-my BFF Jackie

Posts: 189 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember in my fourth year Spanish class the teacher had us learn the dance to the song El Tiburon. It was a hilarious time.

------------------
I see you shiver with antici......pation

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh jeebus. i lived in redneck hell, so we learned to square-dance in elementary school. it was a dark time...

despite that, my 2nd grade teacher (a pilipina) taught us some traditional dances from the PI, like tinikling (sp???) which was so much fun.

then there was 6th grade when line dancing was a big fad. we had to do it for gym class. it's like square dancing, only with contemporary country music. and i still wanted to gag myself with a spoon. a more contemporary spoon.

------------------
"Have you ever taken a moment to consider the alternate meaning of the word 'debugger?'" quoth Jack
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
gummy, it's not just people from redneck hell who have to learn to square dance in elementary school! where i'm from (suburban boston - not so much a redneck haven) gym classes every year - even in high school - have square dancing units every year!

totally uncool.

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiyapeeps23
Activist
Member # 17908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiyapeeps23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got out of school, but mainly the past year we would learn dances to songs like Love Shack and that song by the Baha Men (something like, "can ya move it like this..." *sigh* It was supposed to be a warm-up but it was more of an embarrassing torture. The one that I did like I forget the name of it, but it was something like it has 18 steps or something. I don't know, it was just better than the other ones.

Peace...

Posts: 118 | From: Where the shoobies roam... | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OmnipotentLover
Neophyte
Member # 10626

Icon 7 posted      Profile for OmnipotentLover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i had to learn the macarena in elementary school. *shudders*.....THAT was interesting....

------------------
what if my star is not to come? will my dreams fade to nothing? when the horizon darkens most...we all need to believe there is hope!!

Posts: 33 | From: A place where dreams end | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blink
Activist
Member # 18892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We didn't have a gym area last year, so my gym teacher (who turned out to be pretty crazy and ended up being fired as soon as the union rules would allow it) decided that square dancing was a lovely, fun, safe, space- and cost-effective way to get our heart rates up. (By the way, I'm from New York City, not exactly a redneck haven, but according to the gym teacher square dancing is the new "in" thing, though I haven't seen much evidence of this.)

She always had problems getting volunteers who would demonstrate with her, not too surprisingly.

At least at the beginning of class she would always say, "If you prefer a dance partner of your own sex for WHATEVERRRR reason, please choose one now." So I always got to dance with my friends.

Dance class in elementary school... now, that was horrible. I remember us "melting like butter" and pretending to be things like soldiers and trains. But the worst part was when we had to learn to square dance and the boys and girls would pull their sleeves way down over their hands so as not to get cooties whenever they had to touch.

Posts: 106 | From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ANewStart
Neophyte
Member # 18903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ANewStart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:

then there was 6th grade when line dancing was a big fad. we had to do it for gym class. it's like square dancing, only with contemporary country music. and i still wanted to gag myself with a spoon. a more contemporary spoon.

LOL, I found that last little comment so funny... a more contemporary spoon? *smiles* that was just too much

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ANewStart
Neophyte
Member # 18903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ANewStart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah- Dancing at school (by the instruction of a professor).. This should be outlawed!!!

In Elementary school we had to do a routine the PE Professors thought was "cool" If I could remember the song they choose, I'd mention it, but it was horrid.

Then in 3rd grade we had to learn to square dance, it wasnt too terrible since I got my best friend Jimmy as a partner, and he'd been tested for cooties *smiles* so there was no fear of contracting the horrid little virus.

In High School, we had two choices... arobics or sports, now dont get me wrong, sports are fine and dandy, but I decided that arobics would be better for me. THAT WAS BEFORE I found out that the arobics class had just been cancelled and we had infact inrolled in modern dance... that sucked big time and I was stuck with that same Professor for an entire year.

The horror of dancing teachers. They should be banned.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Londongirl
Activist
Member # 18235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Londongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember having a PE (physical education) teacher at my girls' school who we all thought was really creepy. She used to get us to do dance moves which seemed really pretentious to 14-year-olds. We thought she fancied herslf as a ballerina or something. She was always getting us to point our toes.

Tell me, what is it that Americans call cooties? I've heard it before, but being an English gal, it's not something we say here, so I don't know what it means.

------------------
Londongirl
University Student

Posts: 352 | From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cooties are just a name for the 'boy germs' or 'girl germs' kids try to avoid catching when they're younger; as in "Ewww, I don't want to dance with Jimmy, I'll get cooties" or "Don't talk to Ann, because girls have cooties".

Kids haven't seemed to reach a consensus on whether cooties are airborne or not though And adults of the opposite sex are exempt from cooties, I've never heard a child say their teacher or parent has them.

(Yikes, did I just write a dissertation on cooties?)

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Londongirl
Activist
Member # 18235

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Londongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, so it's just an excuse for younger kids not to touch the opposite sex? Seems really funny to me, we didn't have that here.

Oh, and it's not just you americans who have to do square dancing etc. We do very similar stuff, except its called country dancing here. Although I actually quite liked it myself - that was at primary school, I guess I was less self conscious then than later on.

------------------
Londongirl
University Student

[This message has been edited by Londongirl (edited 07-08-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Londongirl (edited 07-08-2004).]

Posts: 352 | From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 10 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha what a cool thread! Well, none of my teachers ever FORCED me to dance, persay, but I did, for a project on Hawaii, get up on the table in the middle of the room with my grass skirt and coconut bra over a tank top and play a little ukalalei (ahhh sp?) and sing and play aloha-le to everyone in the entire wing...god im never doin' that again!
Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ANewStart
Neophyte
Member # 18903

a
quote:
Originally posted by wobblyheadedjane:
Cooties are just a name for the 'boy germs' or 'girl germs' kids try to avoid catching when they're younger; as in "Ewww, I don't want to dance with Jimmy, I'll get cooties" or "Don't talk to Ann, because girls have cooties".

Kids haven't seemed to reach a consensus on whether cooties are airborne or not though And adults of the opposite sex are exempt from cooties, I've never heard a child say their teacher or parent has them.

(Yikes, did I just write a dissertation on cooties?)

Ok.. that was just too great. I never thought about it, that teachers never had cooties! *geez* Kids... the things they come up with

Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did Irish set dancing once a week for 7 years when i was in primary school. Oh yeah. Those were some fun times

And we did line dancing at one stage too, but I liked that.

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We learned a lot of ballroom dancing, and I must say, I'm grateful for those lessons now -- when I go to weddings or other formal events, I usually end up teaching a few of the nicer looking guys and girls how to dance. Nothin' wrong with THAT.

My gym teacher junior year was also SUPER AWESOME and part of our dancing segment concentrated on swing dancing. Every time there's a swing night at a bar around here, I can tear the floor up with the best of them.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sachie
Activist
Member # 9895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sachie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i remember learning how to squaredance and polka in elemantary school gym class, if memory serves well. slightly scary.

------------------
"baggage, wine, and beer!"

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fools_2
Activist
Member # 16351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fools_2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Spanish class we learned how to dance to a song by Las Ketchup and I was cracking up because I looked like a clown haha bad times...
Posts: 61 | From: i come from a land down under | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In primary school I learned some of the Aussie classics, such as the Heel and Toe Polka, the Barn Dance, the Drongo (yes, I am being serious) and the Queensland Backstep. The only time we all had to do dancing in High School was at the end of 12th grade, when we did it for a bit of a laugh- though we only did the Heel and Toe and the Barn dance then.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.