Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Harry Potter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Harry Potter
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's have some fun. I know a lot of you are fans. I don't read the books, but I gotta say, I loved the movies and I'm totally stoked to see Prisoner of Azkaban on Friday.

Just wanted to invite you guys to talk about the books and movies. cheers!

------------------
"Have you ever taken a moment to consider the alternate meaning of the word 'debugger?'" quoth Jack
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm totally freaking out about the new movie. It looks soooooo much better than the last two. I'm way excited.

I like the books. They're a lot of fun, even if some pieces of the stories remind me of other books I've read. And I enjoyed the other movies.

Dobby rocks my socks.

------------------
I see you shiver with antici......pation

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bubblex
Activist
Member # 17452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bubblex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to see it tonight at midnight so excited!!!!
Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I admit. I'm rather excited. I enjoy the series, and book 3 was my favorite. I'm excited to see all the scenes with Buckbeak.

I, however, must wait til sunday to see it. But I'm seeing it on the IMAX screen. It may just be sensory overload.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiyapeeps23
Activist
Member # 17908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiyapeeps23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sooo excited. I absolutely love Harry Potter. I'm a dweeb. I personally don't really like the movies, though, but I can't control myself from seeing them, so I see them anyway. I think that the reason why you read the books is to imagine what the characters, setting, situation, etc. looks like. That's what makes a great author, right? But when you see the movie, your imagination is taken over by reality, or the reality given to you by the movie atleast. So, I really think that the character looks like what you think it looks like in your mind, your imagination (SpongeBob waving his hands, forming a rainbow ) So the actual reality is your imagination, because the characters, settings, etc, are actually what you believe they are, or atleast that's the way I feel. Sorry if this makes no sense, it was kind of hard to explain. Does anyone feel the same way? Well, atleast if you can understand what I just wrote.
Posts: 118 | From: Where the shoobies roam... | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiyapeeps23
Activist
Member # 17908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiyapeeps23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw the movie...EXCELLENT!! I still prefer the books, but the movie was great!
Posts: 118 | From: Where the shoobies roam... | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best. Movie. Yet.

It's got a much more grown up feel to it. It's darker, more subtle, and far more beautiful. The CG has improved enormously. And I liked how they handled the story and kept it at a managable length.

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita18
Activist
Member # 15951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anita18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I admit, I hadn't read any of the books or seen any of the other two movies (don't kill me!) but this movie was a lot of fun. Unlike LOTR, I immediately felt at home with the story and plot even though it was my first foray into the Harry Potter series. (I hadn't read any of the LOTR books and I hadn't seen the second movie when I went to see Return of the King, and I swear I had NO idea what was going on during during the first half hour, LOL...)
Posts: 218 | From: CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be devil's advocate here. I love the Harry Potter series, and I thought that the film of Prisoner of Azkaban wasn't as good as the first two. I feel like it was trying to make the series into something it's not- it seemed pretentious to me, and one of the great things about the books is that they are unpretentious. I think that Cuaron wasted precious minutes with scenes of falling leaves and birds flying over fields that he could have used inserting crucial information about the friendship between the marauders. Chris Columbus was far truer to the spirit of the books in the two films he directed.

In spite of that however, I did really like the movie. I'll probably see it again over the next few days.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucylu458
Activist
Member # 15584

Icon 10 posted      Profile for lucylu458     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
me and my BFF Jackie LOVE Malfoy! lol. i love Harry Potter. also, my aunt Miranda has a crush on Ron! lol.

------------------
bye, have a nice life and yes, that is a threat.
-my BFF Jackie

Posts: 189 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilylover
Neophyte
Member # 17319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilylover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i agree with Beppie. it was good though, i'm gonna try and see it again, i think it may have been the whole mood of the thing, the movie had started 20 min late, and people were fighting. i was just put in a bad mood. but that boy who plays harry, daniel, is so cute!
Posts: 16 | From: Florida, United States | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sexythang7
Neophyte
Member # 18650

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Sexythang7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron and Harry were really hot!! LOL, and Hermione's punch was perfect! I still think Malfoy's getting hotter, too. (Although I wish he wouldn't use so much grease/gell in his hair...ew) Buckbeak was awesome as well!

------------------
Save a horse, ride a cowboy!

Posts: 10 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hehe, I enjoyed the movie. anyone else laugh as hard at the Whomping Willow as I did? i'm a morbid thing for finding such humor in little bluebirds getting clobbered!

------------------
You'll no longer have any reason to doubt the
transcendent power of love after you see it obliterate
an entire armored division in military tests.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sexythang7
Neophyte
Member # 18650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sexythang7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah the Womping Willow was pretty funny. Like the part where one leaf fell off and then the whole thing did? LOL, I about died. : P

------------------
Save a horse, ride a cowboy!

[This message has been edited by Sexythang7 (edited 06-23-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Sexythang7 (edited 06-23-2004).]

Posts: 10 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Half Blood Prince, anyone? No spoilers, please.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was fantastic! Oh my!

I had my book by 12:06, and was done by 5:30 am. Shocking. Fantastic. Relationships are born, and then die in a fantastic fashion!

I loved it.

And no, I won't post spoilers.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HumanTornado
Activist
Member # 23519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HumanTornado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was trying to read Harry Potter and simultaneously study for a Final. Harry won.

AWESOME book! They just keep getting better and better.

Posts: 51 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finished the book in two days. I'm itching to spoil the whole thing for my mum, who's reading it now; and my brother, who will read it next.

I'm annoyed how they want to use different cast members for the next movies: they think Harry and his mates are getting too old. It ruined it for me when Dumbledore was replaced (yes, I know he died, but still) and if they replaced the main character, I wouldn't bother to see the movie.

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to a diversity camp as a counselor on Saturday morning last week, so by the time I came back everyone was already done reading it. Which wouldn't have been so bad except that there were many whispers of who died, who hooked up with who, etc.

In terms of best plot and stuff, I liked the 3rd the most, and in terms of entertainment value, the 4th. Harry's growing up now, and his world is crashing down on him so often. I wanted this one to be happy!

Oh well. I read it. It wasn't a total pageturner thrill by the paragraph book that I thought it'd be. But we're nearing the end. Oh me oh my!

[This message has been edited by faifai (edited 07-25-2005).]

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rainne
Neophyte
Member # 24246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rainne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
~NO SPOILERS~

I was in line all night to get my copy of HBP hahah I had July 16th marked on my calendar since January, when I reserved my copy!

I felt like this book was missing something. It just didn't have the mystery and muschief that the others do. And I felt like, at the end, we were left with more questions than answers. Which I'm not used to...

I just wonder if JKR can pull it all off in just one more book. I've read a few interviews at MuggleNet and TLC and I've picked up on a few hints that there *may* be more than 7 books.

There were just too many questions that were raised by this book number 6. If she's going to answer them all in one more book, it's probably going to be 1000 pages plus! But she's said over and over that OotP was "pushing the limits" of length for any book. I'd hate for her to go into book 7 with a "goal length", and end up rushing it.

So this book was great, but it's making me a bit nervous about 7.

------------------
I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.
Mother Teresa

Posts: 12 | From: Nashua New Hampshire | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ummm?
Neophyte
Member # 23547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ummm?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i heard somewhere that JK sed book 6 n 7 were like one story which, after reading hbp, certainly makes sense. It definitely had summat missing, but i think that's because it goes hand in hand with book 7 and they should best be viewed as "one" story...i dnt fink there's any need to be "worried" about the next one since she's had everything planned from the very beginning....we shal see.
HBP has seriously got me anticipatin the next tho...

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichelleKay13
Neophyte
Member # 24819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichelleKay13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any H/Hr shipper aboard here? I'm an avid fan. I visit all the sites, write/read fanfiction, read all the interveies, read the books religiously, etc... Anyway, I was really put off by what JK said in her Emerson (who is a jerk, btw) and Melissa's interveiw. I mean, I knew Emerson was going to be stupid and call us delusional - but the fact that JKR joined in with the making of the fun was really mean and hurt a lot of people - including me. Needless to say I did not like HBP (and no, it wasn't just because of the pairings)

<3 MK

Posts: 16 | From: Anamosa, Iowa, USA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elliesArednekRAM
Neophyte
Member # 24854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elliesArednekRAM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i saw the well all of them and my favorite was the 2nd but my favorite book was 3rd i love him DAniel RADcliffe
Posts: 3 | From: hamlet,nc,usa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goblet of Fire comes out next week! I have resolved to attend.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kindascared     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am so pumped to see Goblet of Fire next Friday! I get excited when i see the previews on tv now. But book four is my favorite, so I have high hopes for the movie.
Posts: 127 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CAUTION- This post may have some mild spoilers, depending on your definition of the word. : )

Well, I saw Goblet of Fire on Friday and then again last night. I have to say, it was extremely disapointing. I'm a die hard fan of the books but have never been overly obsessed with the movies. Still, I've thought that they were pretty good up until this one. I had extremely high hopes for it because GOF is one of my favourite in the series. But alas, the movie did not at all live up to my expectations. Though I admit the trio is growing up quite nicely and I love the actor who played Voldemort, I thought it was far too different from the book. I was rather worried by what they did with Hermione's character (taking out her SPEW campain, putting her in girly, fashionable clothes, etc.) and I found the elimination of Harry's ability to resist the Imperious curse and of all things Veela extremely bothersome. Overall they just took out too much. It seemed as if, throughout most of the movie, they were trying to play it for laughs, omitting many important scenes/aspects and dragging out supposedly humourous scenes. It did, however, have its moments, such as the depiction of Harry and Ron's fight (I like that Ron wasn't antagonized as he seems to be by so many fans) and the reviving of Voldemort. But still. I mostly just felt let down.

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CAUTION- This post may have some mild spoilers, depending on your definition of the word. : )

Well, I saw Goblet of Fire on Friday and then again last night. I have to say, it was extremely disapointing. I'm a die hard fan of the books but have never been overly obsessed with the movies. Still, I've thought that they were pretty good up until this one. I had extremely high hopes for it because GOF is one of my favourite in the series. But alas, the movie did not at all live up to my expectations. Though I admit the trio is growing up quite nicely and I love the actor who played Voldemort, I thought it was far too different from the book. I was rather worried by what they did with Hermione's character (taking out her SPEW campain, putting her in girly, fashionable clothes, etc.) and I found the elimination of Harry's ability to resist the Imperious curse and of all things Veela extremely bothersome. Overall they just took out too much. It seemed as if, throughout most of the movie, they were trying to play it for laughs, omitting many important scenes/aspects and dragging out supposedly humourous scenes. It did, however, have its moments, such as the depiction of Harry and Ron's fight (I like that Ron wasn't antagonized as he seems to be by so many fans) and the reviving of Voldemort. But still. I mostly just felt let down.

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Yes...what makes it okay for me is the knowledge that JKR okayed the storyline. So, while it's not line for line from the books, it is in keeping with her universe.

And how much can they fit into one movie?

Leni
Activist
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it, I saw it on Monday with my mom and we both liked it. When we got back we talked through it, and the differences between book and film, and we think it was adapted quite well. With such a long book you have to find a way to fit things to make sense, and cut out parts that don't play a significant part in the plot per say, for example that they left out the whole Elf Liberation Front thing, which is interesting and part of the plot, but has nothing to do with the tournament, which is the main part.

As a fan, I think it was done very well I want to watch it again, but the cinema here is sooo expensive I hadn't been to the cinema here since Love Actually came out!

Love,
Leni

------------------
Что может быть даже похожей на меня не отыскать

That maybe even one similar to me can not be found
-Origa, "Hana no Chiru Toki"

Posts: 114 | From: El Salvador, but living in London :) | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Oh dear. Sorry about the double post.

Now, about the Half Blood Prince... Fantastic, absolutely fantastic! I thought that everything that needed to happen happened, and I loved the twist of who the Prince was. Though I did cry my eyes out at the death of the beloved character that died (I won't say who, for those of you who haven't read it), I thought it was something that had to happen and I was glad that J.K. didn't shy away from doing it. Also, I was quite intrigued by the horcruxes (sp?). I've developed a theory that Harry is the seventh and will have to kill himself to kill Voldemort. I think it would make an interesting plot twist and it would make a lot of sense, what with all that's happened so far. Anyways, I've believed from the very beginning that Harry will die in the seventh book. So yeah. I recomend everyone go right away and read HBP (if you haven't already done so). It's definetly worth your time.

(P.S. Here's at least one reason (two, really) to see the fourth movie: Fred and George Weasley. Yummy yummy eye candy. :))

Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just arrived home after seeing Goblet of Fire (it only came out in Australia today), and I have to say that I am, on the whole, very happy with how the novel was adapted. There were a few things that I would have done differently, and I don't think that the horror of the graveyard scene can be portrayed in film, because so much of it relies on what is going on in Harry's head. Nonetheless, it was well done, and I was glad that there was more to the movie than the three tasks (I had that impression from some of the reviews).

*sigh* I found the death of Cedric Diggory especially poignant today, too. I'd always found it pretty harrowing, but I found out today that someone I was had a few classes with as an undergradute, and who did his honours in the same year as me-- a really lovely young man-- died a couple of years ago. I'd just assumed that he must have gone on, gotten a job, or was studying at a different university-- but now I find that really, had it not been for whatever happenned to him, he would, like me, have been studying for his PhD, in the same building as me, one floor up. He wasn't a particularly close friend, but he was a great guy, with a lot of talent, and I do feel that the world has lost something far too early. *sigh*

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.