Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » What is something you struggle with everyday?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is something you struggle with everyday?
anamiasongbird
Neophyte
Member # 17314

Icon 3 posted      Profile for anamiasongbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is something that you have to struggle with everyday. It can be anything at all...a bad relationship, a diseases, broken family...ect

This way we can all learn something about each other, and see that we aren't alone in our struggles.

So go ahead...I'll post mine once I have a few responses.

Good luck

------------------
Love always,
~*KeLLe*~
xoxo

Posts: 8 | From: Lake City, MI, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita18
Activist
Member # 15951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anita18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, no fair! You should post yours first!

But I'll bite. I've always been a stutterer, and it isn't something I can just "get over" like other people have suggested to me in the past. It's gotten better, so it's mostly a mindset instead of a physical problem I have. I'll usually know if I'll get stuck on a word right before I say it.

It's made life hard, but I also cherish the fact that I rarely make rash comments or mince words. It's difficult because it's such a rare condition among teens and adults - I think 1% of the population stutters, and only 1 out of 7 stutterers is female. So I guess I must be pretty special. Most people don't think of how hard it is for stutterers, because we literally panic at every encounter with people where we have to speak. I hate introducing myself. I couldn't bring myself to ask where a bathroom was, or to ask a salesperson for help, or to call someone on the phone. My bf amazes me because he does all of the above so easily. But then again, he lives to talk - he's a debater...

Posts: 218 | From: CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenni_05
Activist
Member # 17270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenni_05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Job is something i struggle with everyday. I can't stand being there and wish i had a more exciting job even working in a retail store is more exciting than this.i wake up everyday dreading the boring day ahead arrrgghhhh. weekends are oure bliss.

I try getting a new job but i keep getting knocked back cos i have little experience
I HATE MY JOB WITH A PASSION. lol

yeah thats bout it

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anamiasongbird
Neophyte
Member # 17314

Icon 5 posted      Profile for anamiasongbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, as I promised, what do I struggle with daily.

I struggle with severe depression and ana/mia (anorexia and bulimia). It is something that haunts me every single day. I have to carry this with me.

If you want to know more just ask me...

Thanks for all those who have responded!

------------------
Love always,
~*KeLLe*~
xoxo

Posts: 8 | From: Lake City, MI, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucylu458
Activist
Member # 15584

Icon 10 posted      Profile for lucylu458     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i struggle with my brother and my dad. they always seem like they are out to get me. my dad calls me cell about a hundred times a week and my younger brother is just a jerk to me.

------------------
bye, have a nice life and yes, that is a threat.
-my BFF Jackie

Posts: 189 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zelpa
Neophyte
Member # 17458

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Zelpa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I struggle with my constant paranoia, I constantly worrying about things and it drives me crazy, I also suffer through depression and I tend to get a bit mean to people around me.
Posts: 35 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destructerizer
Neophyte
Member # 17605

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Destructerizer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to dance and I know quite a few people with anorexia and bulemia. It is a great step to even admit that you even have a problem to begin with, so I applaud you, Anita 18, for that. Keep at it and you'll get through it. Allright so now for things I struggle with. I am extremely shy. It's terrifying to meet new people and I tend to have trouble making friends.

------------------
Friends are just enemies who don't have the guts to kill you.

Posts: 10 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_procrastinator
Neophyte
Member # 17715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the_procrastinator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I struggle with my motivation. It just is not there. I can't do homework, participate in after-school activities, hang out with friends, or do pretty much anything a normal person my age does. Some of that is just laziness (as my wonderful photography teacher once pointed out), but a lot of it is because I worry so much about what other people think of me.

I mean, sometimes I get nervous in school, just thinking about having to talk to people. I'm terrified to let them know me. It is getting better, though. I applied for a job recently, and I'm learning to drive. Next year I'm thinking of getting involved with the drama club. I'll just have to see what happens, I guess.

Posts: 9 | From: new hamster, usa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently a self-confessed anorexic, and am trying to recover (and doing so alone, because my family didn't even notice my weight dropped to six stone - about 84lb) and my mother is mentally ill and refuses medication - as a result she bullies both me and my dad quite a lot, and it makes life quite difficult sometimes.
Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
christopharjack
Neophyte
Member # 17628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christopharjack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ya guys are lucky... for me personally i have gotta tell you at the age of 17 almost an adult hav had no sex ohh god that's so no cool...
Posts: 15 | From: Toronto, ON, Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_procrastinator
Neophyte
Member # 17715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the_procrastinator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by christopharjack:
ya guys are lucky... for me personally i have gotta tell you at the age of 17 almost an adult hav had no sex ohh god that's so no cool...

Not to sound condescending, but do you honestly think not having had sex at 17 is worse than having an eating disorder or being depressed?

I'm sorry, but I don't agree. Sex isn't about being "cool". You do it because YOU want to, not because you think your friends, society, whatever, expects you to. That definitely isn't a good idea, and if you have sex for someone else rather than yourself, you might end up regretting it. Plus, 17 is not that old. You have your whole life to be sexually active. Why not wait until you're ready so you can have a positive experience?

Posts: 9 | From: new hamster, usa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destructerizer
Neophyte
Member # 17605

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Destructerizer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with the_procrastinator on this one. 17 is not that old and you should wait till you are ready and you find the right person to have sex.

------------------
If people were superior to animals they'd take better care of the world.

Posts: 10 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nmcowgirl87
Activist
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nmcowgirl87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I struggle with being a good role model every single day. I teach riding, and as much as I hate to admit it, my student's tend to see me as being perfect, and that terrifies me. They watch everything I do, and assume that it must be wonderful if it's coming from me. We're getting ready to start training for the National Barrel Horse Assn. Worlds, and after school gets out for the year many of them will be staying with us during the week and only going home on the weekends, if at all. I recently started smoking again (I had quit for a while) and I'm terrified that they'll catch me smoking and think that it's ok. Anyway, all the kids that train with me are so wonderful in and of themselves, it breaks my heart to watch them try to become what they think society says they should be. Last week I caught a 13 year old girl that has trained with me since she was 5 throwing up after dinner. When I asked her why she was making herself sick, she said a boy at school had compared her to a miniature version of me, "only fatter". It kills me that such a wonderful kid would harm herself to try to be someone else. She's absolutely beautiful, but she doesn’t see that. I was diagnosed with a borderline eating disorder several years ago, and it scared me silly. I went to counseling and got over it (mostly), but seeing my students trying to look like Brittany Spears or Christina Aguilera at age 10 to 15 has brought it all back. I do my best every single day to make them see how special they are, but some days it's not enough. That's what my current personal battle is. Trying to be perfect while telling others that there's nothing wrong with being human. Stupid, Huh?

------------------
Ride it like you stole it!

Posts: 64 | From: Carlsbad, NM USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I hear you nmcowgirl87. I teach skiing and every Tuesday night our big elementary group takes over the resort.

Since they're elementary students I mercifully don't have all the problems you mentioned but I can still be quite vulgar or just find myself discussing subjects I wouldn't talk about with eight year olds in a place where those eight year olds can easily see and hear me. While I've made the transition from instructor to hanging out with buddies the kids still see me as their ski instructor and well, they catch everything.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCJoel
Activist
Member # 15538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MCJoel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I struggle with trying to keep up with expectations, indeed aiming for an obviously unattainable perfection in everything I do. I struggle with my motivation. I tend to worry too much about things and I tend to underestimate myself, feeling unworthy or unable to do the things I want to do.I guess I don't have the greates self estime there is. I don't have a good relationship with my brother, with whom I almost never speak. I feel my dad expects much more from me and him and I have very different views of life. He rarely congratulates about anything and criticizes me a bit more than I would like. I obviously sometimes feel sad and feel I loose the strength to keep going. I feel lonely, since I'never had a relationship and don't have one right now.
I'm obviously not saying the great things in my life which thankfully are much much more! Cheers

------------------
"Are you taking over? Or are you taking orders? Are you going backwards? Or are you going forwards?" T.C

Posts: 83 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asterisk
Neophyte
Member # 17617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asterisk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure this won't really make sense, but I guess you could say that the thing I most struggle with is not being able to feel like I'm stuggling.

In other words, compared to so many people whose posts I read online, I feel like I really don't have anything to complain about. My family is fine, I'm not sick, I'm not overly depressed, etc... In the grand scheme of things, I've got it pretty good.

However, I also tend to feel unhappy a lot. It's mostly because of small things, tiny problems, which may be the worst things in my life but would practically be a relief to others.

So I often am feeling unhappy, and then I think about how much more unhappy I could be, and how lucky I really am, and then I feel guilty for being unhappy, and try to keep myself from feeling unhappy because it's not really fair.

The conclusion of all this is that I have decided that I can't hate my life, except for one reason. The one reason why I can hate my life is because I can't hate it. So many people can be justified in hating their lives. But I don't really have any excuse for self pity.

So you could say I struggle with feeling bad about feeling bad. But that's about it.

Asterisk

'If you can't be funny and you can't be wise, be confusing, and then you can tell yourself that you're both funny and wise.'

[This message has been edited by Asterisk (edited 06-03-2004).]

Posts: 2 | From: Somewhere in the world | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to feel a lot like you, Asterisk. I would see my friends struggling with divorce, or death, and cancer in some cases, and feel like me being upset about a possible failing grade wasn't 'good enough' to hurt over. I felt like this a lot and you know what? It never helped. Minimalizing my pain was never fair to me; because I was refusing to take care of myself when I was hurting, for whatever reason, it began building up, until it culminated in a spectacular breakdown sometime last year.

I'm not saying this'll happen to everyone, but we struggle with what we struggle with: self-esteem, illness, depression, death, rebellion; whatever it is, it's your struggle. And while it's important to remember that yes, people are living and dying in poverty or war, it's not necessary to feel guilty. In fact, guilt does nothing to help these situations. But things like activism and education about the situations (war, poverty, etc.) give you something to DO about them.

Before doing things for other people though, you have to take care of yourself. Again, it's not selfish, it's not 'terrible', it's what's necessary to keep you sane and healthy. And that way, you can better help your friends and family (and anyone else, if you're so inclined) through their struggles.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Londongirl
Activist
Member # 18235

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Londongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't agree more with wobblyheadedjane. The thing is, feelings aren't rational, they just happen, so I don't see it as an issue for guilt. You can't help how you feel, only how you behave.

A certain member of my family always used to go on about how I should count my blessings, which I now see as a disregard for my feelings. I feel stronger and more able to ignore these kind of comments since I figured this out.

I think I'm better off for being able to acknowledge my feelings, at least to myself and trusted friends and a counsellor.

------------------
Londongirl
University Student

Posts: 352 | From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
something I struggle with? Well, my weight. I used to love my body, but then I stopped swimming competitively, although I miss it a lot, there never seems to be enough time in the day to get out and exercise. So my weight.

I think the biggest thing I struggle with is impatience. I am not a very patient person, never have been. It just makes it so much worse when you have a nearly 3 year old who stops to look at every ant on the sidewalk. You can't just tell yourself to be patient, it just doesn't work that way! Yup, being impatient is the biggy that I struggle with every single solitary day.

------------------
I want a tail mommy.

Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThePygmy
Neophyte
Member # 18189

Icon 14 posted      Profile for ThePygmy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a problem with my hearing that causes problems for me whenever somebody doesn't speak clearly or when they can't be bothered to repeat what they said (Which really drives me mad :@).
I also have mild eczema which i don't seem to grow out of yet, it'll go soon hopefully .
My family say that I cope with it all very well, but I reply by saying "It's nothing" because it is compared to those of you with trouble at home, or have anorexia or another illness that causes daily pain and suffering, I just think to myself how lucky I am.
Good Luck for those of you getting yourselves out of trouble.

------------------
The English Pygmy

Posts: 11 | From: Uk | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Londongirl
Activist
Member # 18235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Londongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kelle,

I was wondering if you feel able to tell us some of the specific things about having an eating disorder and depression that you struggle with? You wrote of having to carry these problems with you every day, I'm wondering if sharing just a few details here (ones that you feel reasonably comfortable with) might help?

For myself, at the moment I am struggling with lack of motivation and waking up in the mornings. I just finished my psychology course, I found it very stressful, so I'm trying to cut myself some slack to give myself a chance to recover. I'm going away on a holiday very soon. Yahoo!

------------------
Londongirl
University Student

Posts: 352 | From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anarchy_and_headbanging
Neophyte
Member # 18571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anarchy_and_headbanging     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i cut...
Posts: 4 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tinselsprite
Neophyte
Member # 17857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tinselsprite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I struggle with depression, especially since I decided I couldn't take anti-depressants because of the side effects. I easily fall into patterns of negative thinking that I'm slowly learning to avoid though, thank goodness ^_^
Posts: 16 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.