Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Selena

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Selena
lucylu458
Activist
Member # 15584

Icon 10 posted      Profile for lucylu458     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi, i know that the spanish singer, Selena was shot in i think, 1995. my best friend told me that and asked me to download some of her songs and burn them on a CD for a Spanish project and i have been listening to some of the songs and realizing how great of a singer Selena was. she has a beautiful voice and speaks her language (spanish) as well as we can speak English. she sounded like a really great person. i was wondering if anyone likes her music and knows that she was killed. also, does anyone respect the Spanish-speaking culture as much as I do. a lot of people in my grade really hate Spanish class and this one girl in my grade said something to my Spanish teacher that practically made her cry. i really like Spanish and it seems to come naturally to me (my mom says because i get practically straight A's in Spanish). if someone has something to say about Selena and the Spanish-speaking language, that would be awesome.
P.S. "El chico del apartamento cinco doce"- El Chico del Apartamento 512 by Selena

------------------
be who u want to be, not who people tell u to be!

Posts: 189 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wikipedia says Selena was Texan, which would explain why she knew English so well. I remember when she died, but can't say I tended to listen to her.

Hmm, Spanish. It's ultra-common here, though the next city over is mostly Armenian. It's a language like any other, and I really have no strong feelings on it, though I appreciate that it has similarities to French, since I'm a lot more familiar with that language. And Spanish-speaking cultures are as good or bad as the people they involve, again, like any other.

Sábado Gigante, which I'm watching as I type this, is definitely worth watching. It's a variety show with all sorts of stuff, from a lecherous host to a pelvic-thrusting guy in a gorilla suit. As for music in languages I can't speak, I prefer Alisha Chinnai, Shinohara Tomoe, or Boba Fett.

(And hey, here's some Asha Bhosle, who had a pop song written about her in 1997. This file has Michael Stipe too, but you do get to hear her voice.)

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

[i]Daylight is good at arriving at the right time
It's not always going to be this grey

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 03-14-2004).]

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did like Selena, actually. She died in 1993 when the woman who ran her fan club and clothing line went nuts over some money issues and shot Selena in the parking lot of her store. Tragic story, really. Selena's first language was English. She actually had to learn Spanish to perform with her brothers.

Other Spanish-language pop music you might like is Shakira. She's Colombian. There's Thalia fom Mexico. and if you like rock type stuff, Ozomatli and Cafe Tacuba are pretty cool.

As for the culture, there isn't one culture per se. There are several and they're tied to the regions. Mexican culture is very different from Argentine culture, which is also very different from Spanish culture which is very different from Cuban culture. While language ties account for a lot, there are a lot more differences than similarities between places. I went to Buenos Aires once; it is a gorgeous city. I had a good time.

------------------
SPAM: Spare Parts of Assorted Mammals

Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:
Other Spanish-language pop music you might like is Shakira.

When I was in high school, taking high school Spanish, my teacher made us watch all manner of Spanish-language TV.

And so I developed a thing for Xuxa.

------------------
BruinDan, "Not Quite Morrissey," PHOM

¡Siendo padrote no es cil!

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenni_05
Activist
Member # 17270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenni_05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the Movie selena. I liked it alot i think it was the only movie that jennifer lopez was really good in. (i'm not a big Jlo Fan) But i have never heard her music so yah.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.