Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Pet names

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pet names
Dark_Wolf
Neophyte
Member # 10024

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dark_Wolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heeeeey, A certain person here *points to self* was wondering what pet names people have for their partner, or what names there partner has for them. Clean, if possible, please! It kinda got me thinking about this after I watched a documentory on Iris Murdoch - and her husband refered to her as 'little mouse.' which I thought was sweet. She called him 'puss.'
I wonder why couples have a need to call each other these names. Sometimes the names are cringeworthy like 'honeybunch' or something, but the couples appear to need these names in order to re-inforce their bond. is that the reason? I understand that pet names are private, but do share if you don't mind.
How does one decide on a name for your partner? can you just randomly think of one after several years of a relationship...or does it have to mean something, like a private joke between the couple?
andwho, I was just pondering,
~*Dark Wolf*~

Posts: 37 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icanthinkofaname
Activist
Member # 12481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icanthinkofaname     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend is a big fan of Lord of the Rings, so sometimes I put on the Gollum voice and call her "My preciousssss" if that counts. And yes, I realize that's really corny.

------------------
If you can't say something nice, then don't say something nice.

Posts: 95 | From: Look behind you..... | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sublime_15
Activist
Member # 12538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sublime_15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
icanthinkofaname thats soo cute, I do it to just because I like the voice.

Well me and my ex call each other sloths, like the animal. We're not calling each other lazy or anything. I just had an over hyper friend that liked the movie ice age so she'd say sloth and it sounded funny so we started calling each other that. I call him bear because hes fuzzy and strong and his last name fits. And usually I get a really cute sounding version of my name in baby talk.

Posts: 280 | From: nowhere | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really have any pet names for my partner; I call him 'babe' and 'darlin', but I call a lot of my friends those names. To me, it's just a way of reinforcing the fact that I'm addressing that person, without saying their name constantly.

I get called everything from "Zub Zub" to "Boo" to "Knucklor". Most of these nicknames also belong to his dog, which he loves a lot, so I suppose I can't be upset about that

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone_Wolf
Neophyte
Member # 16011

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Lone_Wolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, my computer is wierd, so Dark_Wolf is now Lone_Wolf...ack. I'm the same person though.

Awe guys! that is soo sweet. I wish I COULD do the Gollum voice. *sigh*
I have a 'close friend' called max, and I call him all sorts of stupid variations of his name like 'max factor, maximillion, maxwell' etc and he only responds if I use them,no-one else, which I think is really nice. I have more pet names for my friends, than for people that I think of 'that' way.

I think you should take having him use his doggy names as a good sign, by the way...
An old boyfriend used to call me Kitten. nothing else, just 'kitten'...I am most definately not feline, I'm more, hippo, but its a sweet thought...

Posts: 3 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 2 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh Pet names!! Well, great topic! Interesting to find out what others name their SO!

Anyways, on to my answer! . I call my boyfriend (Isaiah) through a few names... teddybear, sexy, baby, honey, hunnybunny, sweetheart. All those name came naturally, pretty much from the beginning although the teddybear thing didn't really come after we had past our one year last year (May 2002).
He is called teddybear because he's so big, comfy and huggable!
Isaiah calls me Angel for the most part because he says it's part of my personality-->the loving, caring etc of individual that i am.. and No body else calls me that.. so it's pretty sweet. For other times that he nicknames me (other than Angel) then it's sexy lady! Both have carried on from the start of our realationship!

As for friends... like my girlfriends and male friends.. then it's only sweetie. One of my best friends, i called her hyper chick in High school because she was always so hyper and crazy!

I've had people call me various nicknames..including friends and family... so they are Jules, jewels, darling, dolly, sweetie, hun.. and i think that's about it.

------------------
~Jules

[This message has been edited by summergoddess (edited 12-22-2003).]

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're really big into using our real names around my house, but if we feel like being silly and annoying I'll call him Jerbear and he'll call me something equally nauseating.

The only one around here with pet names really is my son, we call him see'hart because that's what he calls us. When he's sick, like he has been for the last few days, we call him honey, sweetie, lovey, honeylamb, stuff like that, because it makes him feel a little bit better.

My son also calls his speech therapist seehart and darwin and tootiepie (sweetheart, darlin, cutiepie) because he's absolutely in love with her. I'm not sure how she feels about having a three year old worshipping the ground she walks on, but she does think it's pretty cute. As do I.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilmsirishrage
Activist
Member # 14566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilmsirishrage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my boyfriend calls me his little hummingbird because when I get hyper, I pretty much bounce off the walls. He also calls me pretty, girly, those kinds of things. He used to call me "buddy" until everyone started telling him it sounded like he was talking to a pet, not a girlfriend.

I call him my ogre (he's 6'3" 210, a big guy), caveman (he's Estonian...anyone remember Encino Man? About Brendan Fraser: "He's from Estonia"). Those are mostly just silly jokes though. I do the "my precious" Gollum-style thing too =). I guess I don't call him any real nicknames.

Posts: 51 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by icanthinkofaname:
My girlfriend is a big fan of Lord of the Rings, so sometimes I put on the Gollum voice and call her "My preciousssss" if that counts. And yes, I realize that's really corny.

That's what I call my Pacu. He's less than a year and already 12 inches! My Precious is so big...

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My partner calls me Snookums. And we call each other Pookie. I try to avoid the pet names tho ... I'll only do it if i'm trying to get on his nerves (and it never works ... Hmm.)
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LilBlueSmurf:
I try to avoid the pet names tho ... I'll only do it if i'm trying to get on his nerves (and it never works ... Hmm.)

Oh, that reminded me of pet names in public. I was riding the bus to the mall one day with a friend, and there was a couple sitting behind us playing the "You're schmoopy. No, you're schmoopier." game. I turned to my friend, and said in a cheery, overloud voice "You know who's really schmoopy? Satan." I was rewarded with a dual stink eye from the couple.

I wouldn't have bothered with the snark if they weren't being so serious about the Schmoopy comments. If it was sarcasm, fine. But they were going on so much about schmoopiness, it was borderline obscene. So a new question to be tossed out would be, when do you use pet names? Do you use them in public at all?

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone_Wolf
Neophyte
Member # 16011

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Lone_Wolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thats a very very good point. let alone establishing why we use them - its also a good idea to think about when its ok to use them. is it wrong in public places? surely you shouldn't have to hide how affectionate you are towards the person you love or care about, just because you are in public? You don't have to with kissing, so why pet names?
I have to say - to somebody without a partner (like myself.. *looks at the floor in redness*) - pet names do sound cheesey sometimes... but when I was called 'kitten' by my ex, it was the most natural and sweet ting in the world..
hearing pet names in public is a bit awkward for people outside of the relationship, I think. but if you don't want to hear it, don't listen. - they have a right to use the names. They shouldn't censor it - just cos use singletons don't like to hear it.

Posts: 3 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They sound cheesy to me too, and I'm *not* single. And I'm the one who likes Herb Alpert and leopard print, so when I think something's too cheesy, it's usually pretty bad. There are just some things that are meant to be kept behind closed doors, and serious PDA's fit into that category as much as full on gettin' it on, I think. But there's nothing wrong with that; having some special things only the two of them share isn't going to kill any couple.

And personally, I think I use more pet names (appropriately enough) with my literal kitten. Somehow it seems more appropriate to call a four-pound bundle of fuzz 'Baby Doll' than it does to say the same thing to a grown man. And any other names are staying my secret.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

. . .Fearing not that I'd become my enemy
In the instant that I preach

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually cringe at public uses of pet names, but in private, I'm all for them. My boyfriend, a few months after we started going out, informed me that my "pout" face looks like a frog expression. This isn't mean, so don't get him wrong, it's all in play. Then it was my "froggy face" and now he just calls me Froggy. It's almost weird to hear him call me by my given name.

But in all our time together, I've never found a reciprical name for him. Oh well. So now you all now where my user name comes from. (blushes)

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My gf is referred to as Kinky BH.

And it wasn't even given to her because she's kinky, there's a whole backstory behind it that would take hours to explain. lol

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, pet names. Well, i've never had a boyfriend.

I did however have a guy i knew call me Dirty. and that was it, he never used my real name (although he knew it) never anything else. Just Dirty. I never did get out of him exactly WHY he gave me that name. I asked him, he avoided the subject really.

Otherwise alot of guys I know call me sweatheart, darling, ect. Which is weird, because I am not even close to a sweatheart when I am around them. Im a hellion. I act like one of em.

Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clarinetgoddess
Neophyte
Member # 15618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clarinetgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a boyfriend, either, but my band director has a bunch of pet names for me and a few of the other girls, and usually calls me Honey-Bunny. Don't ask me why. But it doesn't bother me. I've never known a female teacher to do the same to male students, but my tenth-grade geometry teacher called one of my friends "snookums" instead of by his first name every class just to annoy him.

It bugs me no end when people are mushy-gushy in public; I think that's mostly because I'm one of those chicks who can't sit through chick flicks, so why sit through a real chick flick, ya know? I have my fun. Nothing as funny as the schmoopy thing, though.

Actually, now that I think of it, hardly anyone calls me Amanda...

------------------
Amanda, "The Clarinet Goddess"
1st Clarinet, 2nd Chair in Wind Ensemble
Bass Clarinet, 1st Chair in Concert Band

C-H-S, HUH!

Posts: 19 | From: Coventry, RI, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clarinetgoddess's post made me think of a temp job I had this summer. The woman I was working for constantly referred to me and my co-worker by odd pet names. Like she'd say "How are my little elves doing?" and other random things. It bugged the heck out of me, becuase I had no sort of relationship with her, hardly even a professional one. Okay, just a tiny rant about pet names from odd sources.
Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FriendlyFriend
Neophyte
Member # 16231

Icon 4 posted      Profile for FriendlyFriend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well my friends boyfriend haha calls himself "Da Dogs Balls!" its wierd because we use that saying for telling people that stuff is "cool" or "trendy" .... after hearing that i think i will stick to the words "cool" and "trendy" haha !

------------------
Jimney Cricket xx

Posts: 7 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fools_2
Activist
Member # 16351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fools_2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WEEBO it's a name of a Pug of my friends from the movie "Flubber" I love that name lol....
Posts: 61 | From: i come from a land down under | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DistantLover
Neophyte
Member # 16494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DistantLover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, pet names. I'm definitely all for them. My boyfriend of almost nine months refers to me as, "my love, mon amour (my love in french), mon doux (my sweet or my soft one in french)" In return, I also use, "my love, and mi amor (my love in spanish) and also melamin (my love in elvish)". When being very serious we always use eachother's real names. I think that's important in a relationship, but that's just my opinion. Pet names are extremely sweet and show how much you are cared for and what your SO thinks of you.
Posts: 6 | From: Indian Trail, North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duelist
Neophyte
Member # 14471

Icon 10 posted      Profile for duelist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"You know who's really schmoopy? Satan."

Aaaahhhh, that's great.

Actually, my ex and I called each other "schmoopy" sometimes, purely tongue-in-cheek, mind you.

My new boyfriend and I don't really have any pet names thus far, but my good friend asked me once, "Augh, do you guys call each other stuff like...Swee-tums?" (that's how she said it, like it was so foreign.) So again, to bug him I call him Sweetums. He doesn't like it.

-duelist

Posts: 37 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita18
Activist
Member # 15951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anita18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend calls me Cupy, and I call him Mushy. Hehehe...he used to call me Cupycake (cause of my AIM screenname) but decided to shorten it one time, and...yeah. He used to be Mushroom because that's what people in Japan called him since they couldn't pronounce his full English name. (Matthew) Once he called me Cupy, I retaliated and called him Mushy and it stuck.

Sometimes people will ask him what his gf's name is, and he'll almost say, "Cupy!" and then catch himself before it actually leaves his mouth. :P And apparently people in the dining hall were looking at him funny when he started calling, "Cupy!" across the room once.

Posts: 218 | From: CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faeryprinces
Activist
Member # 12405

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Faeryprinces     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So yeah, my boyfriend doesnt like the whole petname idea for him. He always calls me "hunny" though. Like, "hello my hunny" "how are you today hunny" "oh! I love my hunny" stuff like that, haha. But i'm not allowed to have a name for him...I once called him "babe" and he gave me the weirdest look i had ever seen and told me to never call him babe again (joking around of course, he didnt say it in a mean way) haha Ohh well...

Oh yeah, haha...I was reading the post by wobblyheadedjane about the schmoopies thing (I have to admit, that is hilarious and if I had your wit and timing, i probably would have responded the same way had I been in your situation) haha I got kind of embarrassed though because me and my boyfriend do stupid things like that, Only we would never EVER use "schmoopies" EVER in our vocabulary... Its more like we'd sit there and just for the sake of acting like 5 year olds we go back and forth saying things like "you stink!" "nah uh! you Stink!" "well that may be, but you're stinkier!!"...and so on... It could really go on for hours, lol But its always just joking around, obviously...haha I cant really recall a time that we did that in public though...in front of friends maybe, but not strangers. Though i could see how annoying it might be to see two 20 year olds in public yelling like 5 year olds that the other stinks...hmm

Posts: 227 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Nah, I make stink jokes* all the time with my best guy friend. We also playfight and get into stupid arguments. We're probably really annoying, but more in a big sister/little brother sort of way than couples (although everyone seems to assume we're a couple). Acting like a five year old who's playful and silly is fun; however, doing the 'five year old with a speech impediment talking with their SO' can be annoying for those who don't speak 'girl/boyfriend'.

*For the record, he really is smelly.

LittleOneUSN
Activist
Member # 17486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleOneUSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I call him baby all the time, then I realized I call my little sister that too, who is 7. LOL

My friend Nely and I gave him the Nickname Demon, to go along with her boyfriends nickname Viscious, seeing that there two of a kind.

Posts: 95 | From: Liverpool, NY | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nmcowgirl87
Activist
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nmcowgirl87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pet names are soooo fun! For those of you that don't know, my best friend and boyfriend (that's right... Ty and I are an item!) are living on the same ranch right now. Seeing that much of each other makes for a lot of interesting name-calling. He calls me Hot Stuff when I get an attitude about something, and when he acts all tuff and obnoxious (usually about something stupid, like who can cover a certain bull or whatever) I call him "Mr. Tuff Cowboy" in a sarcastic voice. That generally leads to a rather entertaining exchange that goes something like this-

Him: Clover Killer!
Me: Weed Lover!
Him: Horse Kisser!
Me: Dog Feeder!
...and on and on and on

The clover killer / weed lover bit comes from an argument about whether clover in the front yard is a good thing. I pull it, and he leaves it. The horse kisser / dog feeder thig is about how I have this habit of kissing my horse on the nose every time I walk by his pen, and Ty feeds his dog scraps under the table which really annoys me, lol. We have about a million little things like that. Just about every time we see each other in passing during the day we start it with each other. It's really fun to do in the feed store or Wal-Mart, because people have no idea what your talking about and you get the weirdest looks. We have some pretty out-there names, too. It's basically one big inside joke, lol.

Other than that, I usually call him Honey or Sweetie, and he calls me Babe.

XOXOX,
Tab

------------------
Ride it like you stole it!

Posts: 64 | From: Carlsbad, NM USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.