Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » David Blaine - mad?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: David Blaine - mad?
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who don't know - street magician David Blaine is now trapped in a glass box suspended from a crane above the Thames in London - and he is staying in for 44 days with no food and only water to keep him alive.

I was wondering, wouldn't it damage your body going without food for that long??? And what about when he needs the toilet? I know he's wearing nappies or something but wouldn't his glass tank get filled up with them? It sounds like a nightmare and I can't quite decide whether this man is brave or completely nutty (he says that he expects to start losing his mind during the final stages of the attempt - some would say he already has )So what do you people think, would you put your life at risk somewhat needlessly? Got any thoughts on what he's doing? I'd like to hear them!

*badger*

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's call an illusion/ he's not really going to go 44 days without food or water, he just has a very ingenious way of making it look like he can. Gotta love the Fox network. they air these random mid-season filler shows like "Magician Secrets Revealed" and folks like me watch them. Anyway, I saw just how they do this trick. I won't say how, but once you find out, you're all like :roll:

------------------
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, ok, I'm feeling a little niave now...That kind of gets me y'know? His so-called starvation attempt has had a lot of publicity here and although there are skeptics (some people threw rotten fruit at his glass box) a lot of people believed he was 'for real.' I wouldn't think twice about it if he hadn't said all those things about 'training his mind' and 'exploring his inner self' if he isn't going to be in the box etc., he isn't going to be doing those things and that just rubs me up the wrong way a bit I guess.

Ah, the magic has been taken from my young mind! ( )

*badger*

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though the human body can last without food for a surprisingly long time, that doesn't extend to water. Its a trick of some sort.
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UKgirl
Activist
Member # 11280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UKgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Confused boy:
that doesn't extend to water

BUT, he does have free acess to water. its only food he's going without, and as you point out, in that situation he should be ok. not too happy, but ok. I guess it could be a trick Gumdrop, but a v. difficult one as he is suspended in the air in the box, people can see him from loads of different angles, and they have cameras on him aswell. it would be a bit pointless to do it as a trick as it would be perfectly possible, and far simpler, to do it for real. I saw how they thought he did the one in the block of ice on one of those magician shows. It was v. clever, but relied on the trick being seen via a video camera, which this is not.

I find it absloutely hilarious that people have been so nasty. I know thats not nice, but he is so pompous and full of himself.

I recommend these:
an explaination of what will happen to his body: http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/thisweek/story/0,12977,1030116,00.html

and the reaction of the crowds: http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,1039562,00.html

Posts: 166 | From: London, England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
betty!
Neophyte
Member # 14325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for betty!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you can survive for that long without water! cos my RE teacher told us his mate tryed having only water for 40 days like jesus did to see if it was really possible, and well, hes very much alive enoguh to tell the story! but even if he is staying in a box for 44 days without food i dont think i cud care less, its just a publicity stunt, and unfortunatly us brits arnt bein as welcoming to him as other countrys hence the hurling of objects at him,(i know u shudnt laugh, hehe) really im just embarrassed for him. but each to there own i suppose!
Posts: 16 | From: england, the beautiful north! | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

quote:
Originally posted by betty!:
you can survive for that long without water!

Think you must have your wires crossed! Human beings can only survive 3 or 4 days without water in most cases. Betty, I have to say I am more embarrased by the people throwing things at him than anything else! I don't want 'us brits' to be labelled as unwelcoming regardless of the dodgy circumstances surrounding David Blaine's attempt. I'm saying that in light of recent violence at football matches which has led to England fans being banned from some games. It's minority of people who let us down, but it sucks.

*badger*

betty!
Neophyte
Member # 14325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for betty!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry i ment to say without food, not water!!! oopsie!
sorry didnt mean to offend u badger babe i didnt intend to generalise.

Posts: 16 | From: england, the beautiful north! | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.