Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » jewellery

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: jewellery
retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for retarded_brat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this post, here goes anyway. I also did a search to find out if this has been discussed before, but all I got was tattoos and piercings, which wasnt exactly what I was looking for. If you feel that this HAS been discussed previously, I apologise.

What kind of jewellery (gold/silver/platinum/bone/ stone??) do you wear and why?. Any regulars you *never* take off?. And if you DO wear something for an occasion, whats the ocassion and why?.

Personally in my culture, a wedding means gold bordered saris for the women and every woman decks herself in enough gold so that if she falls into a river there is a serious possibility she would drown!. If you dont wear jewellery with a sari, your neck is considred to look "bare and naked"!!!. (for my graduation from school I had to wear a sari but I flatly refused to wear any jewellery with it ). I also have unpierced ears, the reason being that i'm chicken. I do wear clip ons sometimes if I can be bothered to!. I love wearing an anklet on one ankle though. I also have several toe rings. I hardly wear any necklaces or chains and I dont wear bracelets or armbands. I do wear a bellychain sometimes when I go out because I think it looks pretty good.

Any input?.

------------------
"I'm no good at putting myself in other people's shoes, I'm too busy getting my own to fit." - A.D. (Adam Duritz)

Posts: 134 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a little block of amber from my mum, and a faceted chunk of amethyst with tiny peridot bead from my boy, both pendants, which I wear constantly, because I like the jewellery, and I really like the people who gave them to me. There are three watches, too, that I wear during the day, one's from my grandfather, and in need of repair, the other two are just watches. I wear them because, well, I like being able to tell what time it is. I've an amethyst ring too, which is quite new, and quite important. It comes off briefly and occasionally, and like the necklaces, I expect I'll always have it, unless something goes very wrong.

When I was younger a number of my friends' mums wore saris, and jewellery like what you're describing, and I always found it really beautiful and fascinating. So, if you like it, wear it, it can look just gorgeous.

(And on second thought, this belongs in All About You, see you there!)
------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF

'What has the rest of you been doing while your hand has been playing Atari?'

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 06-01-2003).]

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for retarded_brat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its so cool to know you like saris. Have you ever worn one yourself?.

I've worn one only once in my life and was in constant fear the whole night that it would fall off or that I would trip on it, and the whole thing would come down in front of everybody and I would be laughed at. Thankfully it survived the night superbly and it even managed to see through clubbing and a major head-banging session to Manson afterwards as well! (dont ask).

With regard to jewellery, I've always been a minimalist. The less-the-better has always been my policy with jewellery, makeup, and even decor . I sometimes wish I had ear-holes so I could wear earrings but then the thought of actually piercing them gives me the shivers so I dont venture there!.

------------------
"I'm no good at putting myself in other people's shoes, I'm too busy getting my own to fit." - A.D. (Adam Duritz)

Posts: 134 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What kind of jewellery (gold/silver/platinum/bone/ stone??) do you wear and why?. Any regulars you *never* take off?. And if you DO wear something for an occasion, whats the ocassion and why?.
[/B]

I've got two piercings in each ear, and I usually wear a pair of gold and diamond flower-shaped earrings. My mother brought it back from Thailand for me one year when I couldn't go. I also always wear a Buddha amulet on a gold chain. I used to go without because I didn't want it yanked off my throat should I be in Oakland at night, but my mother made me wear it for my university graduation, and the clasp is too strong for me to pry it off. Prior to that, I wore two stainless steel ball chain necklaces (think Gavin Rossdale -- mmhmm). I wear a bracelet ot match said neckalaces. My sis got it from Singapore for me -- same trip when my mother got me the earrings. I also wear a silver ankle bracelet on my right ankle.

------------------
Summertime, and the living's easy...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 16ga titanium barbell in my right ear (an Industrial piercing) that I've never taken out because.. well.. I can't figure out how to take it out I'll have to remove it very soon, though, as I am interviewing for a job in an elementary school and they don't look very kindly upon "weird piercings."

I also have a platinum-and-sapphire engagement ring that I've only taken off twice in the almost three years I've had it.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

quote:
Originally posted by Aria51:
I have a 16ga titanium barbell in my right ear (an Industrial piercing) that I've never taken out because.. well.. I can't figure out how to take it out

LOL!. I find that hillarious. How long have you had it for?..

------------------

youcancallmepunk
Activist
Member # 11139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for youcancallmepunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...

The stuff that is permantly attached to me...well not attached but never taken off would be my sterling silver zodiac neckless that I made last year. It's a silver disc with the Leo symbol cut out of it. Very simple, the only time I take that off is to put my antiqued silver oval zodiac pendent on. (another I also made) this one is double layered, just a silver disk with the zodiac cut out in silver sodered to it. Looks like it is burnt and antiqued because I left the flame on the soder too long.hehehe

The others would be my ear rings, just to lazy to take them out, as I tend to lose them, they are just simple studs with various stones affixed to them. Also my medical bracelet that has my name, and my doctors name on it, just in case I pass out. Oh and my nose ring! Can't forget that, it just a simple silver stud that HAD a baby blue stone on it, but that fell of and i can't change the stud for another week or so...

I have 8 rings, various styles, but all silver, either they are mood rings or have something to do with fairies or my zodiac, oh and my class ring (not really but a ring i got for graduation) and my claddagh. (i think that was how it is spelled.) I don't wear them all the time but when I wear one, i wear them all....just out of habit. I also have a hemph anklet with beads that my friend made me and a silver toe ring with a lion on it.

------------------
~Jay
"I am the sum of my parts and infinitely more so. The hum of my brain, the curve of my torso. The spark of my wit, the depth of my heart. Size is no measure in such a work of art" (from a Hanes Her Way ad)

Posts: 197 | From: north carolina, United States | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a cheap-but-pretty "antiqued looking" crusifix from Kohls department store. I take it off only sometimes when I swim and I left it at a friend's house the other weekend, so I was left without it for a week.
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star2be17
Activist
Member # 4769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star2be17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always wear my sterling silver green tourmaline ring that my grandparents gave me. I think i dug the stone out of the ground when i was panning for gems, and they had it set in a ring for me. There's also the small gold chain i wear around my neck, and earrings. I don't change my earrings too frequently...right now i'm wearing small silver hoops my boyfriend gave me. Then there's the ring he made in his jewelry class last year. I wear it on my pinky, cause it's quite small, and it's *examines ring* six pieces of wire (gold, silver, copper?) braided together. very nice.

------------------
"Neither a lofty imagination, nor intelligence is the source of genius. Love, love, that is the source of genius." ~W.A. Mozart

Posts: 266 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 14 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well... I do wear my diamond earrings sometimes.. but i like to be natural.. Really the only jewelery that i wear all the time unless i go swimming/hottubbing, or have a shower are my golden heart necklace (actually i've never taken that off since i received it from Isaiah for my 18th back in 2001) and the other thing is my golden promise ring also from Isaiah(which i got on Christmas Eve of 2002) So that's that.. I love it..

------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well. I was given a ring on Friday that I have no intention of taking out of my site.

My sig. other of 1 1/2 gave me a diamond ring on my prom night. I'd say it was pretty special. Which is the reason he couldn't afford the hotel.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the only jewellery i ever really wear is the bracelet i got from my sig. other our first anniversary. it's braided metal, gold silver and... copper? looks like copper. i try to remember to take it off when i'm doing something that could be hazardous to its health (like sleeping or working out) but don't remember that often.

------------------
We installed that lightswitch so you could turn the lights on and off, NOT so you could throw lightswtich raves!

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i hate wearing jewelry when i'm sleeping, so i take it all off then, with the exception of my navel ring, which is too much of a pain in the butt to take out. it's a banana bell with a big turquoiseish crystally stone at the bottom and a smaller one at the top. whatever.

i always wear my silver tiffany bean necklace, my parents gave it to me when i graduated high school and i just like it. and i have a skagen watch (you know, the kind with the mesh band) that i wear all the time, at least until the face glass cracked somehow. now i have no watch. sad.

i also wear a pair of pinkish pearl earrings constantly. or i would, if i hadn't left them at home when i left for england. oops.

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxfire
Activist
Member # 8676

Icon 10 posted      Profile for foxfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Star2be17
Activist Says:

Then there's the ring he made in his jewelry class last year. I wear it on my pinky, cause it's quite small, and it's *examines ring* six pieces of wire (gold, silver, copper?) braided together. very nice.

MarvellousPurple
Activist says:

the only jewellery i ever really wear is the bracelet i got from my sig. other our first anniversary. it's braided metal, gold silver and... copper? looks like copper.

Maybe they took the same class?

------------------
"Only the foolish would fear Foxfire."
Kolbrun; Juniper order

Posts: 117 | From: Washington | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I suppose anything's possible. Star, has your boy ever visited Virginia? ;-)

------------------
We installed that lightswitch so you could turn the lights on and off, NOT so you could throw lightswitch raves!

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sachie
Activist
Member # 9895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sachie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ooh, saris. i kind of want to wear one of those one day. ^^;

i don't often wear jewelry, but lately i find i've been wearing some. today i wore a necklace with a key on it and some bangle braclets. i took them off though. ah well.

------------------
libido ergo sum.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurae
Activist
Member # 10891

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Laurae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wear my school ring which is white gold with an "emerald" and a little platinum ring with a saphire and diamond on my pinkie. The platinum ring is an heirloom, my grandmother passed it to my mother, and now it's mine.

I usually have a macrame anklet, but the one that I was most recently wearing fell off and I didn't have a chance tp make a replacement yet.

I generally have a small pendant and a bracelet as well, but those vary from day to day. My ears are pierced, but I rarely wear earrings. Oh! and a watch. I haven't been able to wear any of this stuff during the week though. I work in a pottery studio and clay and jewlery don't get along too well.

------------------
Laurae

"Music is essentially useless, as life is." George Santayana (1863 - 1952)

Posts: 60 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfly12
Activist
Member # 11263

Icon 3 posted      Profile for butterfly12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a lifeguard and aside from my whistle, I have two necklaces on my neck - a summer-y type of choker and my what I like to call 'punk' necklace. I wear this beaded bracelt my boyfriend made for me for Christmas, and I always have at least two hair ties too!
I never ever take off a ring with a butterfly on it, I wear it on my middle finger. I love butterflies - they're everywhere.
On my ankle I have a small orange anklet...

The funny thing is, I never used to wear jewelry, and now, I feel strange with out it!

------------------
"It's to Jimmy Eat World and those nights in my car, where the first star you see may not be a star
I'm not your star -
Isn't that what you said what you thought the song meant? "

Posts: 43 | From: Gaspesie, Quebec | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.