Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Converting to Wicca...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Converting to Wicca...
piperfan505
Neophyte
Member # 12863

Icon 5 posted      Profile for piperfan505     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone...so here's the thing. I'm 14 and i'm a presbyterian. I've always liked my religion. but recently i've been reading alot about wicca and it seems to be more fitting to me, if you know what i mean. i just feel like Wicca is the better way to go for me. The problem is my parents are VERY VERY set on their beliefs and i think that they'd get extremely mad at me if i discussed this with them. I'm also not sure about converting. I really want to join this religion but i'm just...unsure if i want to make this drastic a decision. So if anyone has advice about how to talk to my parents and become sure of my decision, PLEASE let me know! thanks!

------------------
"I know you hear me. I can taste it in your tears. Holding my last breath. safe inside myself are all my thoughts of you. Sweet raptured light, it ends here tonight."
--"My Last Breath" by Evanescence

Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlwaysWorried
Activist
Member # 8472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlwaysWorried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My advice: Do what YOU want to do, not what other people want you to do. Comforming to expectations is a great way to miss out on opportunities.
Posts: 125 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confuzzled
Neophyte
Member # 10988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confuzzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HEHE... I live in a great situation where the rule at my house has always been beleive what you belive... This lands me with an Atheistic dad and sister, while my mom and myself are methodists. I do realise however that this is not everyone's situation. I experminted with Wicca for a while, and through I discovered that it wasn't for me, I developed a great respect for this. Unfortunately, there is alot of stigma associated with Wicca. Chances are your parents are poorly educated about the religion. (Most people are) What you should try is to educate your parents, THEN break the news on them that you want to practice. They'll probably be alot more willing if they know the truth. If not, explain to your parents that religion is deeply personal and that everyone has to figure it out for themselves. Remind them that the freedom to prectice any religion is important, and that you have simply found a different path. Alot of people associate Wicca with Satinism. Inform your parents that this is not true, and that you have no intrest in working with the devil.

My advice is that you prectice privately, at least untill your parents are more comfortable with your choice. Joining a coven right away will seem more cultish to your parents even if that's not what is going on. One thing that helped my mom understand was the thought of a spell being the same as a prayer, and any ceremony is akin to kneeling, or bowing you head. It is simply another way to pray to the diety that you worship.

Good Luck!!! I hope your parents understand!

Posts: 12 | From: Kansas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wicca is not an organized religion, so do understand that one doesn't have to/can't really "convert."

There's no process for doing that, and if someone has told you there is, they aren't being truthful. There's usually nothing to "join," and most Wiccans are solitaries. Some organized covens will have people join, but ion those cases, a year and a day process is generally involved -- in which the practioner agrees to study for one year and one day before joining the coven and being accepted in.

As well, one doesn't have to entirely leave one religion to practice Wicca if they don't wish to.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seren
Neophyte
Member # 13133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a pagan - not a Wiccan, but I know lots of Wiccans.

What I would recommend to you is to read as much as you can on the subject, books, websites, whatever. Avoid confrontation with your parents about Wicca until you are absolutely, completely, 100% that Wicca is the religion for you. I promise that is the best idea - I have been there and it was not fun.

Lots of people start off on what I call 'the Seeker path' thinking that they want to be Wiccan, but find that they are more interested in Kemetic Orthodoxy, or Buddhism... it really is a very personal thing.

I'm a member at www.mysticwicks.com and www.eternalfyre.com - these are message boards with a similar setup to Scarleteen, but they are pagan boards which lots of Wiccans and people of other religions, of all ages post on.

Mystic Wicks, which you can read without joining up, has a New Pagans section, which has threads with really useful links. Why not check them out to start you off? My username is Seren Mara on that site - feel free to shoot me a PM when you get there, if you want.

The Eternal Fyre, which I'm a staff member of, is also a great community, but you need to join to read the threads - we've had problems in the past with new members.

Good luck!

Posts: 8 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.