Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » anyone know german? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: anyone know german?
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I just found this thread and, as a German major in college and someone who's just about to spend the upcoming year studying there, I got very excited. When it comes to idiomatic phrases, my knowledge is still quite limited to what they teach you in textbooks and the like, so I'll let someone more knowledgeable like Alaska answer that.

But I can confirm that "Ich liebe dich" means I love you. Something to note, though, as far as I know at least, is that it is used solely in a passionate, sort of "lover" sense, that's it's not something you tell your mom or dog. Instead, you'd say "Ich find' dich lieb", sort of "I'm very fond of you/I find you endearing" although I may be wrong. I've found from my experience with German as an American that although dictionaries may be great (LEO is especially fabulous) they don't often explain the word's context so it's easy to totally say sentences that don't make sense or have a totally different meaning. Just something about word order (I don't know if how I'm explaining this makes sense) when you use more than one verb or certain clauses, the additional verbs/verb gets kicked to the end of the sentence.

As for "is learning German hard?", I'd say it is no harder than any other language if you are committed to studying it. At my old high school and college at least, a common misperception is that German is impossible to learn so people take Spanish instead (also a great language!) yet still run into trouble-- the bottom line is that anything new takes effort, but the rewards are great!

As for German bands, I like many, but I'll name these for now. Die Sterne, Ton Steine Scherben, Guano Apes, Fettes Brot, die Phantastischen Vier, Fiddler's Green, and (I'll admit it) Falco. I was surprised to learn how many German bands sing in English when I was over there last summer! A cool radio program that might have a broadcast near you is Radio Goethe. Check it online at www.radiogoethe.de They have a variety of German bands (lots of metal and electronic if you dig it) and are friendly and informative if you contact them.

Good luck!

------------------
"Tear up the cloak of indifference that you have wrapped around your hearts! Make up your minds before it is too late!" ~Sophie Scholl

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my friend is compiling a list of the words for "crunchy" in as many languages as possible (this is what my friends do, okay?)

so what's german for "crunchy?"

------------------
mundi faece repletum

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
so what's german for "crunchy?"

"knusprig" means "crunchy/crispy"

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking at a user's signature today, and I have a question. Why are random words in German capitalized?

For example, I translated a random sentence from English to German at freetranslation.com. Here's what I got:

Ihre Brust hat große Drüsen. Why is Brust capitalized?

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlwaysWorried
Activist
Member # 8472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlwaysWorried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All (or nearly all?) German nouns are capitalised.
Posts: 125 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlwaysWorried
Activist
Member # 8472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlwaysWorried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Your breast has large gland"?
Posts: 125 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Acraine
Activist
Member # 13270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Acraine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hoo hoo hee, yay for German!

------------------
Was kommt, kommt, und es gibt keinen Gebrauch, der versucht, ihn zu stoppen.

Posts: 142 | From: SD CA USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol AlwaysWorried, I picked a random sentence.
Thanks!

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blond ambition
Activist
Member # 9051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blond ambition     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what does this mean?

schaedenfreude

Does anyone know what this means? i couldnt find it in the translation on the site...is it even german?

[This message has been edited by blond ambition (edited 07-23-2003).]

Posts: 351 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RumpusParable
Activist
Member # 2295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RumpusParable     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, altavista's babelfish has it as "damage joy"....

could a german please clear that up in english?

i'm living in germany & learning it... unfortunately, all the courses available w/my awesome teachers are finished & i need to get hooked up with more classes elsewhere.

bummer.

it's not really that hard to learn... the biggest problem i've seen with others in my classes were that they were annoyed & slowed down by things "not making sense" -grammar, translations, the gender in words (that's a biggy for some), etc.

if you just sit back & go forward with it firmly in mind that it's NOT going to make sense a lot of the time, since no language really does -especially not english, it moves pretty fast. english & german having the same basis makes a lot of words or ideas in the two languages similar.

tough as almost any new language can be, but not too bad either...

now, if you want to learn something easy, learn Esperanto. i started tonight online on a fluke and in 2hrs can speak it fluently. i just need to keep building vocab. very easy & fun to learn.

Posts: 160 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by blond ambition:
what does this mean?

schaedenfreude

Does anyone know what this means? i couldnt find it in the translation on the site...is it even german?]

Yep, it sure is. "Schadenfreude" as well as "Schadenfroh" mean "taking pleasure in others' misfortunes" or "gloating" etc.

As mentioned before in this thread, the LEO dictionary http://dict.leo.org is the online source for German vocabulary– it includes idiomatic phrases, grammar links, etc. The site is also good because it offers similar words even if you originially mispell a word.

Definitely check it out– personally I haven't found myself to be a too big fan of Babbelfish– there's an incredible number of German words and they can have really different meanings depending on the context.

I already knew what the word meant thanks to a creative writing-poetry unit we did in high school German (a classmate wrote an awesome poem with that title), but I searched it on LEO to double-check and found like many, many possible definitions.

------------------
How to Be a Good Wife
Prepare yourself: Take 15 minutes to rest so that you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your makeup, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people. Be a little gay and a little more interesting. His boring day may need a lift.

Excerpted from a 1950's high school home economics textbook–thank goodness the curriculum has changed a bit in the past fifty years!

Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

I'm heading off to Germany in less than two weeks (as I've probably mentioned a billion times on the boards) to first take a summer language transition course offered by the University of Bremen, then going down to Bamberg and enrolling in the university there as a guest student for a year.

As for more German classes, why not ask your old teachers? Are you military personel stationed in Germany or a dependent– if so, I'm sure the post has many resources and could connect you with some language schools and teachers.

If your area has a German-American club, you could ask them for ideas, and perhaps even find an individual tutor.

The Goethe Institute offers many (expensive) language classes at all levels in various locations around the world. www.goethe.de

The German Academic Exchange Service also has language programs (and gives scholarships for study abroad! )– it offers many courses through universities, but there are some summer courses open to all, I believe. www.daad.org

Vielen Glück! If I think of anything else in the meantime, I'll post later.

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
what does this mean?

schaedenfreude

Does anyone know what this means? i couldnt find it in the translation on the site...is it even german?

[This message has been edited by blond ambition (edited 07-23-2003).]

it's actually used a bit in English, too. it's a personal favorite word of mine.

merriam-Webster RULES: http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=schadenfreude

basically, it means "sour grapes," i almost actually used the word in a thread by a certain user in Relationships.

------------------
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RumpusParable
Activist
Member # 2295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RumpusParable     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
am a military spouse nowadays.

the teacher i've been working with was connected to the post education center.

they *on paper* have more courses available through the colleges on post & such... but i've so far haven't been able to find a time when they're *actually* occuring. the courses that have been available for taking the past couple of semesters have been things i have no use for -german lessons or other.

i'm trying to find info through the paper here & speaking with the edcenter about another non-college course on german.

there are some obstacles to get by to use most "official" courses, so a tutoring/unofficial class is better for me as

1) official courses out of pocket are painful
2) i can't use my g.i.bill/college fund to help pay for them
3) due to disability issues, i run the risk of missing random & possibly many classes -bad if it's a college or otherwise "official" class.

not insurmountable by any means, just have to find the right combination of variables.

thanks for the info & help, will definitely take a look!

Posts: 160 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kittylouise711
Neophyte
Member # 14134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kittylouise711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add my two cents, the only words I know in german are "hophenfeffer(sorry if the spelling's bizarre, I haven't the slightest clue), "dachshund", "blood and liver vurst (if they even are words)", and "aphel coucan (like I said, dont have the slightest clue how to spell)" Sorry if some of these words are mumbo-jumbo, im just sayin' what I know.

~It's nice to meet a man with such fine taste~
~Woman!~
~Whatever~

~God's middle name! Champions we always are!~

~Shibby! I'm Jesse~

~God bless Megan and Steven, newlyweds, in their english Nottingham home~

~(Wide staring eyes) Hi. I'm Susan Sarandon~

~Ya gotta say Mimi a.k.a. Chester, our friendship will never end. Shibby!~

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigma545
Neophyte
Member # 17949

Icon 12 posted      Profile for enigma545     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi "blond ambition",my German is getting a bit rusty but as far as I know the word "grapschen" is a correct but it is more of a crude word for "touching". You would say it only if you really know that person well, otherwise it could be taken as politically incorrect, if you know what I mean . Grapschen is the same as if you would say "groping". If you want the correct word for "touching" I would suggest to use "anfassen". I hope that will help you, sincerely enigma545
quote:
Is "to touch" grapschen..or grapschon?

I donno if its either, i got it off a site i cant seem to find again.

Posts: 1 | From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleOneUSN
Activist
Member # 17486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleOneUSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ich habe keine idea vas du gesehen?
Posts: 95 | From: Liverpool, NY | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.