Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Are you HOT?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are you HOT?
youcancallmepunk
Activist
Member # 11139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for youcancallmepunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was on my lunch break and happened to flip on the t.v. in the break room and a show called "ARE YOU HOT" or something along those lines. They were doing a critic of the person face, body and sex appeal. I was so offended by the comments I heard during the 3 minutes I watched it. One of the judges said "you need to lose some of that thigh" and this girl was absolutely gorgeous. They also made some other absurd comments.

------------------
~Jay
"I am the sum of my parts and infinitely more so. The hum of my brain, the curve of my torso. The spark of my wit, the depth of my heart. Size is no measure in such a work of art" (from a Hanes Her Way ad)

Posts: 197 | From: north carolina, United States | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's insipid, but so is most television anyway, right?

I have a bit of difficulty watching any show where people get cut to pieces. That feeling is somewhat lessened in shows like American Idol, where the majority of the contestants have such horrendous attitudes that I have to suppress my joy when they are verbally torn to shreds...but for the most part I choose not to watch shows of this type.

But the friends of mine who do watch these sorts of programs do so knowing full well that the contestants volunteer for this torture. The same sort of ego that lands somebody on a show like this is likely to prevent them from suffering any permanent damage as a result of what some imbecilic host may say about their thighs. So don't cry for them, Argentina.

Shows like this thrive on the same sort of offensiveness that you discussed in your post. By shocking the conscience of the average viewer, the show promotes the sort of water-cooler talk that no amount of advertising can garner. So in essence, even by talking about it here we're feeding into the hands of the network. Funny how that works, isn't it?

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," PBOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
youcancallmepunk
Activist
Member # 11139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for youcancallmepunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't feeling bad for the contestants, because they DO go on the show knowing full well that they are going to get criticized. However, I was offended by the comments because it portrays that certian types of people can't be beautiful or actually HOT is more like it. The majority of people I know believe that looks don't matter that much, however, if the general public believes that, how is it they are content to watch these types of shows?

------------------
~Jay
"I am the sum of my parts and infinitely more so. The hum of my brain, the curve of my torso. The spark of my wit, the depth of my heart. Size is no measure in such a work of art" (from a Hanes Her Way ad)

Posts: 197 | From: north carolina, United States | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because they've got to get their fun somewhere, right? I'm certainly not saying shows likes this are the best thing on TV, but just like sex, controversy and high emotions sell. I think the point that's being missed here is we're not dealing with an aspect of society so much as a purely commercial entity.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost
Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drums4mylife
Neophyte
Member # 10689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for drums4mylife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've seen something like that, and I am just disgusted. Which reminds me, I was at a cattle judging contest just the other day.. ~*Alex*~

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Nature gives you the face you have at twenty. It is up to you to merit the face you have at fifty."-Coco Chanel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 16 | From: DC Area | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oohlala34
Activist
Member # 11096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oohlala34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I overheard my mom telling my grandma about a show called are you hot or something like that.I noticed that she said the word "appeal" instead of "sex appeal" so I guess she knew I was listening.(hehe) But what I heard about it was absolutley discusting.And how can you judge someone's sex appeal?Geeze, people these days...

[This message has been edited by oohlala34 (edited 02-26-2003).]

Posts: 95 | From: Somewhere USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelicblonde
Neophyte
Member # 12046

Icon 11 posted      Profile for angelicblonde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that show also and I was disgusted! Every single one of those people were gorgeous and hot and sexy and they just went and eliminated most of them. It was sickening listening to the judnges comments, especialy when the two men were not all the attractive themselves!

------------------
~Angel~

Posts: 18 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
animegirl
Activist
Member # 11252

Icon 13 posted      Profile for animegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I havent seen the show personally, but I have heard about it. Somehow I am not surprised... TV had to have reached a new low at some point, haha. But seriouslly, contestants going into that show are setting themselves up to be emotionally hurt- I dont know why anyone would want to put themselves into a situation where you would have judges critisizing everything that is wrong with you. PLUS it is on national TV! Just a question for anyone who has seen the show, are the judges usually super-tough, or are they considerate? (I figure they are probally cruel... otherwise, where would the entetainment in the show be?)

And another thing: People come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and forms. Thus, the definition of "Hot" is trully undefinable, at least to me. AND, inner beauty/happiness reflects your outer appearance. So that is another thing to keep in mind then judging a persons looks.

But the judges dont look at that, now do they?

------------------
To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.

[This message has been edited by animegirl (edited 03-04-2003).]

Posts: 49 | From: Florida baby!! | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by angelicblonde:
It was sickening listening to the judnges comments, especialy when the two men were not all the attractive themselves!

Wait, so only attractive people are allowed to have opinions? Can you clarify please?

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelicblonde
Neophyte
Member # 12046

Icon 4 posted      Profile for angelicblonde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly did not mean to say that only attractive people have opinions, and I have nothing agaisnt unsttractive people, as the human race is beautiful on its own. I just meant, if you are hosting a show as ridiculous as "Are You Hot" you do not have the right to be rude to others when you would not even qualify for the show itself.

------------------
~Angel~

Posts: 18 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shann2002
Activist
Member # 10090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shann2002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen that show. I would never go on that show to be judged by people obviously are not all that hot their damn selves. I feel that I don't need the opinions of others to know whether I am hot or not (but it is nice to hear it every now and then ).

That show hurts people's self-esteem and feelings. But sex sells. A lot of conceited people tend to be on shows like that anyway.

Posts: 127 | From: Da Dirty South | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Layra
Activist
Member # 8047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Layra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what are outside in persons doesn't matter. The important thing is what are you carrying inside.You can be gorgeous, but if you are a bad, rude ,etc person, you're loosing the beauty, in other words you're ugly outside and inside.
That kind of shows are so offensive, makes a prototype of the women, trying to make them perfect and nobody is perfect. These programs should be prohibited, perform the alimentary disorders in many young girls, just because trying to look like the perfect girl the judges in the program try to create.

Posts: 89 | From: San JOSe, Costa Rica | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sorrow of wind bird sky
Neophyte
Member # 12191

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Sorrow of wind bird sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never watch this TV show you talk about... Hmm, when I think if there is some comparsion must be made between peoples, the competition should be based on comparing the "good" side, not their disadvantages
It is like an government election... If you only see the bad side of people who you can vote, maybe you'll feel better by not voting after all :P
There are always drawbacks of anyone. No one is perfect. (let's not talk about religious leaders at this moment) And my opinion is that contrasting their merits, such as how they are attractive or how they are kind, would be more considerable and loving... :P
Though maybe less people would want to see the show (?)

------------------
Dreams of humans...
Will never Surcease!!!
(from Black Beard in One Piece :P )

Posts: 35 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, if we can get enough people to *not* watch the show, maybe it'll die on its own. We can only hope. at least ABC's been having really crappy luck with their reality programming. that show *is* on ABC, right? I haven't been watching, I don't even know what channel ABC is here.

at least the proto-popstars on American Idol can sing.

------------------
Qu es el dealio?

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mecrazygirl911
Neophyte
Member # 11478

Icon 13 posted      Profile for mecrazygirl911     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Are you Hot? is really pointless, but a lot of shows they have now are. Some other shows that are starting to annoy me are the shows where the people watching pick someones future husband/wife. There have been a lot of those lately and they are driving me insane!! Why in the heck would you want to have people around the country picking who you are going to marry and pretty much immidiately going to divorce. Oh Well. Whatever floats your boat...

------------------
*~Sooner than u think
I'll be back in a wink!~*
TO JOE:
*Today I Love U More Than Yesterday,
but Not as much as Tomorrow* :P

Posts: 3 | From: California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missyj
Activist
Member # 10430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missyj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by drums4mylife:
I was at a cattle judging contest just the other day.. ~*Alex*~

It's plain and simple: it's degrading to the entire human race.
Like said above, WHAT ARE WE?? CATTLE??
Have we really stooped this low for means of entertainment?

Posts: 153 | From: Oakville, Ontario. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.