Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Ideas, anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ideas, anyone?
sixxx
Neophyte
Member # 11730

Icon 3 posted      Profile for sixxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a marketing student in college right now, and as part of a huge assignment, I'm required to conduct a focus panel with a group of randomly selected non-participatory people who have bestowed upon me the honour of compiling a gigantic list of questions to ask our panel members. *ahem* With my randomly selected group, I also got the randomly selected topic of abortion. I already have a fairly good list of discussion questions to ask, but I desperately need some more. After looking around, I decided this was a good place to ask for suggestions.

I'm just looking for any sort of open-ended discussion questions on the topic of abortion. I'm expecting that the majority of the panel members will be female and in their mid-teens (15+) to early twenties. The questions don't need to be really in depth nor should they require a great deal of knowledge on the subject; we're just trying to dig a little deeper into opinions beyond being pro-choice or pro-life.

If anyone has ideas for good questions that would stimulate some discussion (or maybe even links to some good news articles), any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Posts: 3 | From: WI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olive
Activist
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im 15, and I think abortion is only nessicary in some cases. If the mother is a heavy drug user then I beleive it would be best to just not have a baby if it may be dependant on drugs. Or if the mother and child is in danger. Having an abortion while the baby is already developed somewhat would just be wrong.

If I became pregnant I would NOT have an abortion, even at my age. I would either consider adoption(but they may be too hard because it would have been attached to me, and I would have already been attached to it.) Or just raise it myself, it will be a challenge but it would be better than to not have it at all.

Posts: 338 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angel07
Activist
Member # 8018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmm you probably have everything ill say but you could ask if they are FOR abortion, how far along in the pregnancy should it be allowed? how do they feel about partial birth abortions? do they think morning after drugs are like abortions as in "killing" (if you think its killing, your opinion) the baby? why are they for or against abortion? if they feel one way or the other, if THEY got pregnant would they still feel the same way? are there some curcumstances where it should be allowed even if they generally think it shouldnt (i.e. if they call themselves pro-life would they say a girl who was raped could get an abortion)
thats all i can think now

Posts: 131 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(FYI, Angel07, "partial-birth abortion" is not a medical term - it's a pro-lifer term. The correct phraseology is "late-term abortion.")

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Maypole/The ties that bind you will unwind/To free me one day/And everything decays..." - XTC, "The Wheel and the Maypole"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to ask how they formed their views on aboration. Did their views come from their church, family, or another group? How does the information presented by both sides make them feel? Do certain advertisements offend them? Where do they get their information about abortion (ie. Where are "the facts" coming from for them? Have they researched from independent/non-bias sources, or do they take them from one side or the other?)? Concoct some sort of scale and have them rate their views on abortion (pro-life - pro-choice), then have them rate their political views (moderate - liberal)...that might provide interesting material for a comparison. Another interesting thing might be to see what THEY think the majority of people think about aboration and why it is that they percieve it to be that way. Perceptions are interesting things, you could compare their perception of the majority opinion to some actual opinion poll numbers. That could present some interesting insights. You might explore how stong their feelings are about abortion as a political issue (ie. try to find out if they're a "single issue voter" or how strongly a canidate's position on abortion affects their vote). You could do that with some sort of scale too. Ask them to rate abortion among a list of other issues (ie. defense spending, welfare, etc.) and their reasonings (if any) for placing it there. You can also then ask them if someone's stand on abortion would be enough to 'swing' their vote if all other things were equal, or almost equal.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shann2002
Activist
Member # 10090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shann2002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could speak to a few people that have had an abortion. Ask what did they think of the procedures, how did they feel, how did they feel about abortions before they had one and how do they feel about it now, and ask about the care received and things like that.

I have had one so, I can tell you that it how it was for me and my experience with. If you would like to know, just respond with another post in this thread.

Posts: 127 | From: Da Dirty South | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a lot of the mainstream news magazines (Time, Newsweek, et al) just ran several article about the 30th anniversary of Roe v. Wade. Many of those articles covered public opinion regarding abortion. Why don't you comb through those magazines (they were a week or two ago, so you should still be able to find them at the library) and use ome of the questions they used for their surveys.

------------------
Universal Law #4721: Any joke can be made funnier with the word "goatf**ker." Corollary, any story can be made more entertaining by adding a few ninjas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angel07
Activist
Member # 8018

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Angel07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry, i didnt know about what it was really called. thats what some people in my class refered to it when we were debating abortion, and i had never heard of it before, so i just assumed it was right. thanks for the info!
Posts: 131 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixxx
Neophyte
Member # 11730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the suggestions. There were a couple things I overlooked that would work really well. I just hope my instructor approves them all.

Anyway, thanks again!

Posts: 3 | From: WI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.