Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Where can i find...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where can i find...
blond ambition
Member # 9051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blond ambition     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured this was the only place i could post this, there have been other posts for search of products, and i hope this will help me out...
I was wondering where i could find a good, typewriter, like one of those old fashioned ones, and how much do you think that would cost?
I thought of maybe a pawn shop, but i dont think we have one where i live.
Ive got this electronic typewriter, but it has problems, and we used to have a small green oldfashioned typewriter that belonged to my grandpa, but we dont have it anymore.
I want one because i desire to start putting the millions of papers of sonnets and poems and journal entrees ive developed over the past few years, and put them into good organized writing, maybe even turn them into a book or some sort of autobiography. Its time i started doing something good for myself, maybe even try to get published one day. And i hate computers, i can write a full page and with one small slip it all disapears, and also i like to write up in my room away from all the distractions, where our computer is located is by the kitchen and living rom. I think a typewriter would be more peaceful and mobile, and a good investment...
So can anyone help me out?

Posts: 351 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Second-hand shops and garage sale would be your best bet. Expect to pay at least $5, but I'd suggest paying no more than $15, and only that if you find they're hard to get, and REALLY want one. Your problem, though, is going to be finding a ribbon for it. I've seen advice on rewinding new ribbon on old spools (different typewriters take different types of cartridges), but it's not foolproof, and finding a new one, especially for certain types of typewriter, could be tricky. Try to choose one with a brand name you've heard of (Underwood, IBM . . .), because that should increase your chances of finding replacement supplies for it. And be aware that you can't correct typos, typing too fast can jam the keys (QWERTY keyboards were actually develeoped to try to prevent this happening, but . . .), and that you may well need to clean your machine so it doesn't get all gummy. Personally, I prefer using my Amiga500 (it's a Commodore computer, from 1987, incredibly sturdy, has crashed once, ever, cost me $10 with accessories) for anything I'm not writing on a more modern computer, but YMMV.

It was a good lay. . .

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.