Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Favourite SAD songs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favourite SAD songs
herecomestheson
Activist
Member # 8200

Icon 9 posted      Profile for herecomestheson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a search and nothing showed up.

What are your favourite sad songs, you know the ones I'm talking about.

Mine are:

Built to Spill - Velvet Waltz
The Shins - New Slang
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
My Bloody Valentine - When you Sleep
Big Star - I'm in love with a girl
Modest Mouse - Polar Opposites
Deerhoof - Red Dragon

You?

[This message has been edited by herecomestheson (edited 01-05-2003).]

Posts: 72 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul McCartney - Calico Skies (That his wife was dying around the time this album was being made probably didn't help any, but Flaming Pie was his best in more than twenty years)
The Murmurs - I'm A Mess
Morrissey - Lots of 'em, but I love him anyway.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

I want a boy for my birthday . . .

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Morrissey does have a lot of sad stuff, but there are some that are from both his Smiths days and his solo period that I find somewhat notable; I'll post them below. I also find it interesting that I tend to listen to older music when I'm unhappy, rather than more contemporary things. I haven't figured out why, but it's something I've begun to notice of late. Regardless though, here is my alphabetized list of some downcast songs I adore:

Alice in Chains - Down in a Hole
Ben Harper - Another Lonely Day
Jim Croce - Operator
Morrissey - Suedehead
Pearl Jam - I Got Id
Pete Yorn - June
Radiohead - Karma Police
REM - Let Me In
REM - South Central Rain
Smashing Pumpkins - The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete
The Smiths - Back to the Old House
The Smiths - Half a Person
The Smiths - Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
Third Eye Blind - Camoflauge
Toad the Wet Sprocket - Inside
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Swingin'
Weezer - O Girlfriend

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," PSOM

"Battery Stolen; Youth Charged"

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sachie
Activist
Member # 9895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sachie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm listening to my "pretty songs" playlist. most of these songs happen to be sad, so i'll list them.

alanis morisette - perfect
bright eyes - sunrise, sunset
bright eyes - the center of the world
garbage - medication
linkin park - my december
lisa loeb - jake
our lady peace - 4 am
radiohead - creep
rasputina - signs of the zodiac
something corporate - konstantine
system of a down - roulette

and pretty much everything off weezer's "pinkerton".

------------------
libido ergo sum.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gaea
Neophyte
Member # 10970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gaea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you on Morrissey/Smiths. A couple other notables:
Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me
Oh Well, I'll Never Learn

And some others:
Ani DiFranco - Untouchable Face (sad but somewhat empowering as well)
Billie Holiday in general
Elliott Smith - Pitseleh, Waltz#2, Between the Bars
Joan Armatrading - The Weakness in Me
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (I like the Radiohead cover even better)
Portishead - Sour Times

Posts: 9 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
radiohead "true love waits" and "like spinning plates" - especially from their live CD
ani difranco "both hands"
pearl jam "nothing man"
starmarket "into your arms"
paul simon "graceland" - i know, it's not really all that sad, but i find it heartbreaking for some reason
blind melon "no rain"
U2 "still haven't found what i'm looking for"
the cure "lovesong"
soul asylum "runaway train"
the rolling stones "angie"
reggie and the full effect "your boyfriend hates me"
pink floyed "wish you were here"
ben folds five "brick"

i feel like a lot of these songs aren't really that sad. i'm crazy!

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oohlala34
Activist
Member # 11096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oohlala34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let it Be - The Beatles

Posts: 95 | From: Somewhere USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunset_Rose
Activist
Member # 10181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunset_Rose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are songs I heard when I was young.

Where Have All The Flowers Gone?
Kingston Trio

Streets of London
Christy Moore

Vincent
Don McLean

Aubrey
Bread

Those were the songs my dad used play on the guitar when I was little. I never understood many of them until I was older, but they are very beautiful songs.

Posts: 123 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Baby by Blake Shelton. I've gotten to the point where I can't listen to it without crying.
What Do You Say? by Reba McEntire. At the end she sings about a woman dying of cancer. That gets me everytime.

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Twister" Remy Zero (sample lyrics: I need to hear you say goodbye, I don't know why I hang around)

"Gates of the Country" Black Lab
"Lost Cause" Beck
"No Distance Left to Run" blur
"Last Goodbye" Jeff Buckley
"High and Dry" Radiohead
"All I Want is You" U2
"Easy Tonight" Five for Fighting
"The Background" Third Eye Blind"

and too many Placebo songs to mention...

------------------
Don't be coward like shrimp, be brave like PRAWN!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee Ann Womack--I hope you dance

I heard it after I found out that my Gramma's cancer spread to her brain.

Yup. Tears EVERY time.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olive
Activist
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KC & Jo Jo-All My Life

Garth Brooks- The Dance
Every funeral I've been to its been played, and at my aunt's funeral her boyfriend sang it.

Posts: 338 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
britt0285
Activist
Member # 11036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for britt0285     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am definately into more of the trance/techno music like DJ Sasha but my favorite sad song would definately have to be:

Kissing You by Des'ree

Posts: 87 | From: TX | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OmnipotentLover
Neophyte
Member # 10626

Icon 9 posted      Profile for OmnipotentLover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slow Motion-Third Eye Blind
Pink Triangle-Weezer
Tired of Sex-Weezer
Tears in Heaven-Eric Clapton
Amazing-Paul McCartney (go figure)
My Sundown-Jimmy Eat World
Hear You Me-Jimmy Eat World
Every Moment-Jimmy Lafaze

i think thats about it..just thinking about those songs gets me all heartbreakish.

------------------
what if my star is not to come? will my dreams fade to nothing? when the horizon darkens most...we all need to believe there is hope!!

Posts: 33 | From: A place where dreams end | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.