Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Gift ideas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gift ideas
Sunset_Rose
Activist
Member # 10181

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Sunset_Rose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having real trouble trying to find a Christmas gift for a good friend of mine, and its really getting me down. Anyone got any ideas, and what do you think is the best gift you have ever given someone?
Posts: 123 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gifts based on quirky things you know about a person can be great. One of my favourite birthday presents was a number of old He-Man figures (all are proudly displayed on top of my monitors), which she knew suited me because of the age I am, and because we'd often joke about crap cartoons we'd grown up with. Her favourite gift from me was a rather goofy coffee mug, and a number of unusual records she'd wanted, again because it was visual proof that I pay attention to her, and what she likes. What's your friend into? What kind of stuff is avalabl to you, and are you willing to make something?

And if you still can't think of anything, consider a themed present, basically pick a theme, and find stuff to suit it (my brother got a lava lamp, CD of psychedelic music, and brownies with catnip baked in), or something reasonably all purpose like a collection of lip glosses or cookies (both of which you can make).

I think this'd be better suited to All About You (where we may already have some similar topics, in which case it'll be closed), and a mod will likely be moving it soon.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS

Are we not men?

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
from the Relationship FAQ Anniversaries/Gifts http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum3/HTML/001702.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum3/HTML/001838.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum3/HTML/001149.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum3/HTML/001850.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum3/HTML/001831.html

this year, i'm doing some homemade things (with a little help from 'cause i'm a kitchen klutz). I'm buying decorative tins and packaging up some cookie mix (dry ingredients only). After lunch, I'm gonna go buy some nice organic flour, Scharfenberger chocolate bits and cocao nibs. And i'm enclosing some neatly scripted instructions.

I'm also going to bottle some infused oil and vinegar.

I've only bought one other gift so far and they were some pretty funky-looking champagne flutes.

I was also gonna make some wine and treats baskets for some friends.

The great thing is these things can be had on the cheap. The bottles and jars and tins are on sale at places like Pier 1 Imports, Crate and Barrel, or even Michael's Arts and Crafts. Quality ingredients can be found at fine grocers (i'll be shopping at Trader Joe's and Berkeley Bowl).

One idea I won't be using (but it's still a great idea) is buying a very large bottle with a cork in the top and filling it with candy.

------------------
Correlation does not equal causation.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxfire
Activist
Member # 8676

Icon 10 posted      Profile for foxfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriends mom likes to be complimented by having people tell her,"wow your feet smell like roses!" so i bought her a pair of rose scented socks so that they really would.

------------------
"Only the foolish would fear Foxfire."
Kolbrun; Juniper order

Posts: 117 | From: Washington | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunset_Rose
Activist
Member # 10181

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Sunset_Rose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx guys! I now have a better idea of what to buy, and I'm going to make some stuff 2. Thank you all for the help, and Happy Christmas!
Also, I love the action figure of Miz. Scarlet. What a fantastic gift!

Posts: 123 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, how much are you willing to spend on said person?

My personal choice would be to order a $20 grab bag from Archie McPhee's--they take a bag and fill it to the brim with stuff. Look around on their website to get a taste. It's a lot of fun, too.

If you're not in for spending too much, make a special ornament that they can pull out every year. Make a favorite animal or something that represents this person's favorite place or memory.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I do is run around Wal-Mart or a similar store, and make up a personalized gift pack. All it takes is a basket, and then you are free to fill it (up to your price limit) - and it can include their favorite chocolate or candy, their favorite cosmetic/pamper product, and an assortment of odd things. It allows you to put a really personal touch on the present, it is something that will actually be used, and it shows that you have been to a lot of effort.

Best of all, if you are a bit of a gumby at wrapping (like moi), all it takes is a bit of cello-wrap! Easy as pie

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.