Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » ACT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ACT
thisonecanbe
Activist
Member # 10445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thisonecanbe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone taken the ACT? I took it last year and I just took it Saturday. Is it just me, or did this year's seem a lot harder than last year's? Last year I did bad (24)... I don't think I did much better this time. :|

------------------
...i've done all i can do; could i please come with you?

Posts: 63 | From: nowhere | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
man, i am the Queen of Standardized Testing!

I took the ACT back in 1997. I don't know how it goes now, but back then, it was a regular paper Scantron test. I took the test in April or something and didn't get my score till June. As I recall, I scored a 31 with a perfect score in science and my lowest score was in reading comprehension (my attention span is only getting shorter with age).

I didn't find the test hard and i did not take the test seriously. I just took it because I took tests. That's just what I did (incidentally, I took the ASVAB to get myself out of half a day of school and did so well i got a lot of calls from a lot of military recruiters).

But yeah, you can always try again, or you can try to rely on your SAT scores

------------------
If the shoe fits, it's probably your size.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I am the Jester of Standarized Testing.

I'm horrible at it. I got a 23 on my ACT, which is lower than the expected bracket that I was supposed to be in from my PLAN (pre-ACT) test.

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live out here in SAT country, so I missed the joy of taking the ACT entirely. I didn't think the SAT was too difficult, but I remember thinking that the length of the exam was what posed the greatest challenge. I do remember thinking that the PSAT was harder than the actual SAT was, but for the life of me I can't remember why I thought that. I was kicked out of the exam for tossing paper airplanes with a friend of mine during the last section anyway.

I did hear something a while ago about possibly phasing out the ACT by 2006. Does anyone know anything about this? Or was it just speculation?

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three"

"Battery Stolen; Youth Charged"

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...I've heard nothing about the ACT being phased out. I've only heard that they will be making the SAT harder. I think with more advanced math and a writing section...?
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BruinDan:

I did hear something a while ago about possibly phasing out the ACT by 2006. Does anyone know anything about this? Or was it just speculation?

Speculation or not, I'd LOVE that. The SAT/ACT's are pointless. Really, I have a whole argument for it, but as it's past my bedtime, I'll have to look up my points and post em' later.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the article I read (it appeared in UCLA's Daily Bruin newspaper last July), it is only the ACT that is due to be phased out though, in favor of the SAT. I don't know enough about the ACT to be able to compare the two, but the gist of the article was that more schools are looking at the SAT and are abandoning the ACT altogether...so it was due to be phased out in the near-future. Again, I'm not sure whether this was a final decision or just something some people were talking about.

Either way though, I'm not sure what they would do if they phased both of the big standardized tests out. They are going to need some way of doing that sort of assessment of applicants, and my best guess is that relying solely on "personal statements" isn't going to cut it.

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three"

"Battery Stolen; Youth Charged"

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought the idea of an SAT was dumb, but maybe that's cause I'm Canadian.

Our universitites pick us mainly based on our marks from school. None of this testing stuff. Universities in Ontario take the average of your top 6 OAC credits (or Grade 12 now).

Some universities, particularily the high-end ones (your ivy League, I guess) like Queen's in Kingston, also ask you to fill out a PIF- Personal Information Form. They want to know about you. They want to see your marks, and that's their primary thing, but theya lso like seeing work experience, extra curricular activities, volunteerism, etc. That way they get well-rounded people.

I just wish scholarships worked that way

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'm more in favor of a comprehensive exit exam like the GCSE (i thought we had a thread about GCSE somewhere, but I can't find it) in the UK. ACT was the closest thing we had to a survey subject test (SAT II I don't count because you pick two or three subjects to test on) I don't want to see standardized testing eliminated altogether. True, test scores (esp the SAT) alone can't tell you everything, but neither can grades (what with grade inflation and all).

------------------
If the shoe fits, it's probably your size.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... the latest information that I've heard about the ACT/SAT "phase out" was that an increasing number of schools are no longer required test scores for admission, which I personally feel is a good thing, mainly because I have so many issues with Standardized testing.

I remember that there used to be a list published of which schools are doing at the Princeton Review, but I've been unalbe to find teh article since.

[This message has been edited by Dude_who_writes (edited 11-04-2002).]

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.