Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » studying abroad

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: studying abroad
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been very interested these past few days in studying abroad.

The whole topic was started by my Spanish teacher, who naturally, encouraged us to study in Spain, Costa Rica, Mexico, Venezuela, or somewhere that the residents speak Spanish.

But I would rather go to England or Australia (preferably England!). I've always found it so interesting there, but right now I'm not so sure if it's the perfect time. My parents divorce should be final any day now, and my Mom is short on money. My Dad is doing alright, his comission checks seem to be coming in at the right times (plus I just got word that our $5000 boat has probably been sold!)

But I'm worried about the money matters and leaving my Dad alone for so long (you can study abroad anywhere from 6wk-1yr). He also says how dangerous it is to be in another country and how the crime rates are so high and how you can get a disease and yadda yadda....

But I *really, really, really* want to go and every adult says I'll regret not going and it's a great thing!

But I'm not so sure. Anybody have any advice or experiences with this? Thanks!

------------------
"Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny. "
- Frank Outlaw

[This message has been edited by Daydreamer24 (edited 10-27-2002).]

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been abroad myself, but everyone I've spoken to who has says it was the best experience they've ever had. They said it was simply incredible and they never wanted to come home. As far as it being dangerous, once again, I've never heard anyone say it was problematic or that they got hurt. I think that's probably one of those things where if you've got a good head on your shoulders you'll be just as safe there as you would be here (just about the same goes for diseases).

If you want to go, go for it, I'd say.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a student exchange in 2000, to Normandy, for 3 months.

I had a long term bf at the time, and I left in the middle of the school year. Hello scary!

But I had a blast.

I would recommend it to anybody. DO IT. It'll be hard, going away, but you will never forget it. You really do "grow" while you're away.

I learned the language really well (i did before I went, but you get REALLY comfy with it), and I made great friends. I really got the traveling taste in me.

You also learn A LOT of independence, and you really gain confidence in yourself. Being ove rtehre isn't about what you look like, it's about how you can pull with yourself, and know yourself, and get through and enjoy yourself.

BTW, I plan on leaving for a year, likely to Germany.

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melimelo
Activist
Member # 7361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melimelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My advice? go for it. make sure you know all your choices and restrictions as soon as possible so that you don't miss opportunities.

I wanted to go study abroad too, except to Spain. I heard about the program in a conference last year, about one month too late for sending applications. so i thought i could apply this year and leave next september, which i did (applying).

the problem is that i will be 18, and some countries don't accept students that old (it's a program for high school). it is particularly frustrating that i would be only 3 days too old.

also, in quebec, high school ends one year earlier than in the other provinces, and i'm not 100% sure i can leave in the middle of college and finish it when i come back (especially since we are only 10-20 students in my college program and they might abolish it after our group is done).

so now i have no idea what i am gonna do, and i'll have to decide quick because the first who sends the final paper (which i have not filled yet for these reasons) chooses the country they want to go to first.

if this doesn't work, i guess i'm gonna try to find other programs when i'm in university.

(now lets come back to you) for other countries being dangerous and getting diseases, it depends of the country. some do have high crime rates, some don't. and some you need vaccinations before you leave for not getting sick, and some not. if it was me going in england, i wouldn't be worried about those 2 points.

Posts: 81 | From: north america | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarinesGirl
Activist
Member # 10068

Icon 12 posted      Profile for MarinesGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are worried about the money check into scholarships and grants. There is tons of money out there just waiting for the right person to ask. And the disease thing sounds like a concerned parent to me. If you want to do it go for it. If you don't you might regret it.
Posts: 85 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, my Dad officially won't let me go.

"I think you're selfish because you're asking me to give up my income to pay for something you may or may not want to do?"

"Your mother & I wouldn't get to see you for a whole year."

And a whole bunch of other stuff. I don't really understand it, but there's no sense getting too worked up over it and getting mad at other people since I can't go.

Err.

------------------
"Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny. "
- Frank Outlaw

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, if you can't go now, may i suggest waiting till college? there are plenty of financial aid packages that will enable you to study for a summer, a quarter, semester or even a full year in many places across the globe -- without being a $$$ burden on your folks.

i never did get to study abroad. there's not much in the way of molecular biology outside of the US. and i wanted to finish before i got too old

------------------
"Things are only fragile till they break."

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:
well, if you can't go now, may i suggest waiting till college? there are plenty of financial aid packages that will enable you to study for a summer, a quarter, semester or even a full year in many places across the globe -- without being a $$$ burden on your folks.

That is a very good idea. Unless you attend an international school (where you meet other Americans, not actual natives), high schools around the globe don't match up, and when you get back it can get tricky trying to figure out what credits you've got and what still has to be done etc.

Waiting until college is a great idea because often tertiary degrees, provided there are properly accredited in the country they are being offered in, are usually recognised around the world. You tend to meet a more diverse group of people there (like at any college), as Gummy said there are more scholarships going for that, housing is easier (there are more colleges with dorms than boarding schools around) and so on.

If you are interested in Australia, here is a useful link - with other links to funding places and colleges around the country:
http://www.fed.gov.au/KSP (from here, click on Education).

If you're from Texas, and used to the hot, humid climate there, you would probably be most comfortable in the state of Queensland. The further south you go the colder it gets.

So I say definitely try it - it is such a valuable experience to spend time overseas, whether it is studying, working or holidaying. Maybe you can convince your parents to let you go for college!

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.