Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » What crazy things have you done to raise money?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What crazy things have you done to raise money?
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 10 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the wackiest days of my life was Red Nose Day 2000. My best friend and I did a sponsored 3 legged day to raise money for charity, we tied our feet together for nearly 7 hours! As you can imagine, basic needs like going to the toilet were almost impossible...She also has unusually big feet so my toes kept getting trampled I have to say, that was the first and last time I'll ever do that, but in a way it was fun, knowing that the money we'd raised went to a worthy cause.

Now over to you...what sorts of things have people sponsored you to do? Would you ever do it again? I think sponsored events are a great way to raise money - and you have a laugh too!
*Badger*

------------------
The blind man sees more clearly than the rest of the human race, coz when the lights go up he sees the person and not the face.

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Across much of Canada (I'm not sure if it's international - but I don't think so), when I was in elementary school, there was one day a year when kids didn't have to study, while they were in school. Rather, we skipped rope. It was an event called 'Jump Rope for Heart', and all the money raised (the students collected pledges) went to the Heart and Stroke Foundation. The more pledges that we collected, the better our chances were at winning stuff.

We jumped in teams - like maybe there were 6 of us in a team, and one of us always had to be jumping. It was something like that.

It was always a great day. We all felt so important for doing something good. Hip music of the day played over the P.A. system in the school, we'd get a free lunch donated by some local company. Occasionally I see hip people of today wearing the t-shirts, for their camp/retro value.

Any of the younger Canucks around here know if this still happens?

------------------
"Love is blind, and I don't blame her/'cause lately I ain't been too much to see/I'd ask a girl home, but I'd have to pay her..."
-Old '97s Ray Charles

[This message has been edited by Dzuunmod (edited 10-10-2002).]

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I participated in Jump Rope For Heart in Elementary school when I lived in Iowa -- I'm not sure which grade, but it was sometime between '87 and '90. I'd almost completely forgotten about that!
Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melimelo
Activist
Member # 7361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melimelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we never did the skipping rope all day. once all the school went out to jump during a minute, but that's all.

other things i have done is la dictée PGL. that is when the teacher read a text out loud and the students have to write it. then the students get money (a gew cents generally) for each word they have spelled correctly.

selling chocolate, scratch cards, bracelets. spaghetti suppers... nothing much special.

Posts: 81 | From: north america | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's Hoops for Heart now.
Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxfire
Activist
Member # 8676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They actually still have both hoops for heart and jump rope for heart at my school. Since I live in a a teeny tiny town the whole area got into it. We didnt have jump rope for heart during school though it was after and it was held in the auditorium and the stands were full of spectators cheering us on. All ages participated too. Toddlers to Grandmas, it was a wonderful experience!

------------------
"Only the foolish would fear Foxfire."
Kolbrun; Juniper order

Posts: 117 | From: Washington | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzuunmod:
Across much of Canada (I'm not sure if it's international - but I don't think so), when I was in elementary school, there was one day a year when kids didn't have to study, while they were in school. Rather, we skipped rope. It was an event called 'Jump Rope for Heart'

It certainly is international. One year when I was living in Australia I did "Jump Rope for Heart", along with most of the kids in the nation. I understand it is still a yearly tradition ... so there you go!

Oh, and the craziest thing I did for money was to dress up as a fairy at a school fair and walk around (with a few other fairies) advertising our grade's cotton candy store (in Australia it is called "fairy floss", don't ask me why!). Pretty corny, I admit, but I was only 7 or 8 and it totally worked! Our stall rocked!

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sold Krispy Kremes. I dislike Krispy Kremes.

That is crazy, since they're only donuts. Amazingly, a lot of people share this idea. We couldn't sell 200 dozen.

(For clarification, Krispy Kreme does not make the kind of donut I like, so they are low on my list)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I walked around at a mud-run once asking a bunch of drunk rednecks for tampon money. That "tampon" money, went to my bros cigarette fund. It was quite funny.
Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PlacidPixie
Neophyte
Member # 10486

Icon 7 posted      Profile for PlacidPixie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Raise money for myself you mean..
*giggle*
When i was little i used to prance around with a little notebook and a can around the house and asking my parents,my bro or my sis to donate some money for me.I would name the fund like 'Donate for brand new shoes'or something that i really want at that time.I would ask them to sign in my notebook if they gave me some money.That was like the stupidest thing i've ever done but i did get that new shoes though..lol.

Posts: 6 | From: Malaysia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkChild717:
I sold Krispy Kremes. I dislike Krispy Kremes.

Odd, but they've got a sort of cult reputaion here. Maybe because the closest plac that's got them is Mississauga, and that's two hours away. I finally tried one, and would rate it slightly above Tim Horton's fare (very, VERY common here, we've got one intersection that's got TH shops on three out of four corners), below a local chain, and way below the ones we made at school (though it helped that they were extremely fresh). I guess they are to donuts what Calvin Kelin is to jeans and sports bras.

I've never done anything too stupid, but I had to wear a chef's hat at a charity event once. I don't mind the jackets, sort of like them, actually, but the hats either fall off, slip over one ear and then an eye too, and look dorky on top of that. And really, would you trust food made by someone that funny looking?

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS

Better living through Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Milke:
...And really, would you trust food made by someone that funny looking?

Hey, that's almost as good as the "Kiss the Cook" apron!

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three"

"Battery Stolen; Youth Charged"

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.