Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » nailpolish

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: nailpolish
Member # 5978

Icon 5 posted      Profile for witch13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was just wondering what is nail polish made of? and are any of the substances addictive? thanx.
Posts: 9 | From: Slo | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
are you *eating* the nail polish? if so, that's a bad idea. Are you *huffing* the nail polish? that's also a really bad idea.

No, the substances in nail polish are not addictive, but they are toxic when taken internally (eaten, huffed, etc.).

Here's what's in this bottle of Hot Topic signature nail polish:

butyl acetate, toluene, nitrocellulose ethyl acetate, tosylamide, formaldehyde resin, dibutyl phthalate, isopropyl alcohol, stearalkonium, hectorite, camphor, benzophenone

Al of these are organic compounds (they have carbon in them). Isopropyl alcohol is something you may have recognized -- it's rubbing alcohol. Toluene is a solvent, keeps the stuff liquid. Toluene can be carcinogenic (cancer-causing), so it is usually not included in newer nail polishes -- this stuff just happens to be of poor quality. Stearalkonium is an altered for of stearic acid -- a fatty acid found in beef fat. Formaldehyde is what they use to preserve dead specimens in jars -- it is toxic!

And the smell of nail polish is from the various aromatic compounds like benzophenone and toluene. They have a sweet, chemical-y smell to them, and because they are toxic, they can make you feel kinda funky when inhaled. That's not a high, that's killing brain cells.

So, why are you putting this on your nails? Why am I putting it on my nails? because they stuff is harmless when used properly. Apply only wth proper ventilation so the vapors don't fill the room and make you sick. don't drink the stuff. And if you bite your nails, don't deliberately lick up the paint chips, of course (I once got a panicked ICQ from a friend who forgot her nails were painted, and she bit her nails, swallowed a few falkes and was afrid she was gonna die. A few chips won't kill you, but i honestly wouldn't make a habit of it).

"Things are only fragile till they break."

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3