Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » General Knowledge (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: General Knowledge
Hotbuttered101
Activist
Member # 5538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hotbuttered101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll ask a question and whoever answers asks another one, and it continues.

Which Bronté sister wrote Jane Eyre?

Posts: 86 | From: South Africa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
charlotte bronte wrote jane eyre.

is pork red meat or white meat?

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's white meat. "The other white meat," in fact.

In Internet terms, the acronym URL stands for what?

Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littleone
Activist
Member # 4571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littleone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
uniform resource locator.

Who was the greek goddess, who, according to legend, fell in love with orion?

Posts: 83 | From: toronto | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My beloved Artemis.

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kite
Activist
Member # 5957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
African or European?

Who wrote "The English Patient"? (the novel)

Posts: 127 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Ondaatje.

What does DOS stand for? I can't remember for the life of me.

------------------
Well you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! --- HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed!

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disk Operating System.

Who was the oldest man in the Judeo-Christian Bible?

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Methuselah?

How many seconds would it take a cheetah to go from 0 to 70 miles per hour?

[This message has been edited by Daydreamer24 (edited 07-17-2002).]

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 5 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Daydreamer24:
How long would it take a cheetah to go from 0 to 70 seconds?

Waiiitttt a minute...do you mean "miles per hour" instead of "seconds?" You almost had me there!

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol, Sorry, Danny. Let me edit that post ...
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackRoseFaery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A cheetah can accelerate from 0 to 45 mph in 2 seconds.

How old was Emily Dickenson when she died?

Posts: 88 | From: Hixson, TN, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ephesians
Neophyte
Member # 9010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ephesians     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She was 56 years old.

My friends know that Pat Buchanan is my favorite political figure.

Who was his runningmate in the 2000 election?

JAD <><

------------------
For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:16

Posts: 22 | From: Woodbridge, Virginia, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ezola Foster.

I think that Ralph Nader was a much better choice as a third-party candidate in the American 2000 election (let's remeber that not everyone around the world had the opportunity to vote, there). Who was Ralph Nader's running mate?

------------------
"I'd like to be an astronaut, but if I can't be an astronaut, I'd like to be a coach driver."
-Neil, 7 Up

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winona LaDuke

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll® Tootsie Pop?

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grizabella
Activist
Member # 2014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grizabella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One, two... *crunch* three.
Three.

Who played Dr. Franknfurter in The Rocky Horror Picture Show?

------------------
"Sometimes people care too much. I think it's called Love."
---Pooh Bear

Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim Curry.

And which character wrote the play?

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Hm, blackrosefairy, I thought it was 3. Well ... that's for 70 seconds, so it's close.
indigodazed
Activist
Member # 6681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for indigodazed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard O'Brien, who also played Riff-Raff.

What does the greek word Gnosis mean?

Posts: 57 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

This site says it is the knowledge of transcendence arrived at by way of interior.

In short does that mean it's being born with some sort of knowledge?

Kite
Activist
Member # 5957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Daydreamer24:
This site says it is the knowledge of transcendence arrived at by way of interior.

In short does that mean it's being born with some sort of knowledge?

No, I think it means having a knowledge of transcendental things (which could be the Divine, for example) that is arrived at through introspection and intuition. So it isn't a knowledge where you would say "I have this knowledge because I've seen such and such things and have reasoned logically about them", but rather "I feel such and such, and so I have this knowledge".
http://www.m-w.com says gnosis in Greek means knowledge. Here is the definition of gnosis:

quote:
esoteric knowledge of spiritual truth held by the ancient Gnostics to be essential to salvation.

and of esoteric :

quote:
designed for or understood by the specially initiated alone.

OK, so that's slightly different that the definition at gnosis.org that you sited, Daydreamer, but it sheds some light on the concept.

I hope I'm correct in my re-explanation, though.

[This message has been edited by Kite (edited 07-18-2002).]

Posts: 127 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This post is off-topic - and those of you playing the game ought to ignore it...

Anyway, KittenGoddess, how do you get that little "registered" sign in posts?

------------------
"I'd like to be an astronaut, but if I can't be an astronaut, I'd like to be a coach driver."
-Neil, 7 Up

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ephesians
Neophyte
Member # 9010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ephesians     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzuunmod:

I think that Ralph Nader was a much better choice as a third-party candidate in the American 2000 election (let's remeber that not everyone around the world had the opportunity to vote, there).

That's your opinion.

JAD <><

Posts: 22 | From: Woodbridge, Virginia, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yup, ephesians, everyone has their own opinion on political issues, and that's ok. :-)

back on topic:

to what does the word antidisestablishmentarianism refer?

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
an•ti•dis•es•tab•lish•men•tar•i•an•ism

opposition to the withdrawal of state support or recognition from an established church, esp. the Anglican Church in 19th-century England.

What were the names of the wives of King Henry VIII?

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkChild717:
What were the names of the wives of King Henry VIII?

You know, I was just talking to someone about Henry's wives the other day...we thought we had a reasonably accurate list but weren't certain. Here are my guesses, in no real order:

1. Anne Boleyn, who was guillotined
2. Catherine of Aragon, who he divorced
3. Anne of Cleaves (?), who he divorced
4. Catherine Howard (last name?), who was guillotined
5. Jane Seymour, (I don't know what the heck happened to her...did she die naturally or was she killed?)
6. Catherine Parr, who survived.

(My guess is that ol' Henry had a hankering for girls named Catherine. )

What are the two most populous provinces in Canada?

------------------

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

did you know that anne boleyn had 6 fingers on one of her hands?

teehee.

i have no idea about the canada thing. i just wanted to share my random knowledge. sorry. :-D

em

maro_chik
Activist
Member # 4272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maro_chik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most populous provinces are Ontario and Quebec... I assume.

And now... Which nationality eats the most Kraft Dinner on earth?

------------------
"I like a man with rock in bum."
-Tom Green

Posts: 63 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

quote:
Originally posted by BruinDan:
You know, I was just talking to someone about Henry's wives the other day...we thought we had a reasonably accurate list but weren't certain. Here are my guesses, in no real order:

1. Anne Boleyn, who was guillotined
2. Catherine of Aragon, who he divorced
3. Anne of Cleaves (?), who he divorced
4. Catherine Howard (last name?), who was guillotined
5. Jane Seymour, (I don't know what the heck happened to her...did she die naturally or was she killed?)
6. Catherine Parr, who survived.

(My guess is that ol' Henry had a hankering for girls named Catherine. )

Thanks! I couldn't remember em all for the life of me. Jane Seymour was Edward's mum. She died of hypothermia, because Henry forced her to go the outdoor baptism sick. She was the only one to pop out a little boy.

As for the kraft consuming nationality? Poor, starving college kids! (I have not a clue.)

Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those are all correct, but out of order.

The correct order is:

1. Catherine of Aragon
2. Anne Boleyn
3. Jane Seymour
4. Anne of Cleaves
5. Catherine Howard
6. Catherine Parr

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Kraft Dinner is the name of Kraft brand macaroni and cheese in Canada. I don't think it has that name anywhere else - so we win by default.

Population-wise, what's the largest city in South America?

------------------
-Neil, 7 Up

euphorickitty
Neophyte
Member # 6425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for euphorickitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that would be Sao Paulo, Brazil. With a population of 9,811,776 in 1996.

Now... What exactly does the saying "lifetime guarantee" entail?

Posts: 38 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirenRose
Activist
Member # 8384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirenRose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lifetime-1. the period of time during which an individual is alive 2. The period of time during in which an object, poperty, process or phenomenon exists or functions

gurantee-1. Something that ensures a particular outcome or condtion. 2. a promise or assurance, esp as to the durrability or quality of a producto or service.

basically...as long as the product lasts it will work

now for you:
Who was the lady who's face was said to have "launched a thousand ships"?

------------------
*~remember the only thing we need sometimes are chilly nights and warmer thighs, cuz nothing is like being held...sometimes*~

Posts: 138 | From: ur dreams | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PiNkRoSe13
Activist
Member # 9055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PiNkRoSe13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dzuunmod~~ Kraft dinner's are also very very popular here in the US...I Live in Illinois, and the true American family MUST have something Kraft in their household, otherwise their NOT American...

Now For my question...hmmm....
~~~What are some of the things that are eaten in Germany for teenagers?? Like here in the US theres Potato chips, pizza, etc.....

Posts: 49 | From: Frankfort IL USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
euphorickitty
Neophyte
Member # 6425

Icon 12 posted      Profile for euphorickitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why, that's Helen of Troy.. of course!

How many gallons of cologne and perfume is manufactured in the U.S. each year?

Posts: 38 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.