Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » College Worries

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: College Worries
Ephesians
Neophyte
Member # 9010

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Ephesians     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As some of you might know, I'm going to college as a freshmen. I am a little excited, but I do foster a lot of fear as well.

The vast majority of colleges are liberal. Many colleges (including the one I'm going to) have various clubs and organizations that are very liberal as well.

Being a conservative, my fear is understandable. Being a Christian and a conservative in college is going to be quite a challenge.

I plan to keep my mouth shut and not bring up anything to do with religion or politics, save if someone asks me.

I'm afraid to wear my cross around my neck or have display my campaign buttons which hang from my backpack. I'm afraid to speak out.

Will I be mocked and made fun of because I attend church every Sunday? Will get jeered at because I support the CP? Will my professor grade my papers lower because he doesn't agree with my views?

Also, many people in college drink, do drugs and have sex. I don't do any of those things, nor will I.

I uphold my Christian beliefs as best I can. I refuse to drink. I will never do drugs. I'm waiting until marriage to have sex.

Now does the above description sound like a typical college student?

The Christian organization on my campus doesn't seem well organized. There are no conservative clubs that I know of. To whom will I look for backup?

If college is going to be hostile to people like me, then how will I cope with the persecution?

Any thoughts?

JAD <><

------------------
For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:16

Posts: 22 | From: Woodbridge, Virginia, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Universities aren't as homogenous as you might think. I'm at what's generally known as one of the most left-wing universities in Canada, but the school is very diverse. Basically, a small section of the school belongs to the radical left, and they're the loudest people around, so they get all the attention.

My school has an anarchist discussion group, yes, but it also has a chapter of the Canadian Alliance youth wing (the young Republicans would be a rough equivalent). There's also a Christian fellowship. Look around, there are clubs for every type of interest imaginable on campus.

------------------
"I'd like to be an astronaut, but if I can't be an astronaut, I'd like to be a coach driver."
-Neil, 7 Up

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Activist
Member # 3426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my four years in college, I didn't drink, do drugs, or have sex, and I got along just fine. Whenever I was offered a drink, I'd just say "No, thanks, I don't drink," or even just "No, thanks," and I never got pressured beyond that.

While, I, personally, am neither conservative nor Christian, several of my best friends from college are, and that worked out just fine too. I was aware of their political and religious beliefs, just as they were aware of mine, and occasionally we'd have some interesting discussions about religion or politics, but most of the time we put aside our differences and just had fun together.

In my experience, most people are willing to respect other people's personal choices in life, as long as you're willing to respect theirs. I think you'll do all right.

------------------
Question authority, but realize that authority is often right.

Posts: 107 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caramel Apple Pop
Activist
Member # 8475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caramel Apple Pop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not in college, and I wont be for another 3 years.

I know that some colleges have religous sorrorities/fraternities. You said that your college has a lot of clubs and organizatioins, do they have a christian one? As for wearing your cross, I myself think they are beautiful as jewelry...and I don't think people would question your wearing it.

Hope I helped, and good luck in the college life!

------------------
If I could tell the world just one thing
It would be that we're all ok... And not to worry because worry is wasteful
and useless in times like these... I will not be made useless I won't be idled with despair
I will gather myself around my faith
for light does the darkness most fear

Beth

Posts: 98 | From: A world of wonder, where war never disturbes peace, and the sun never gets consumed by the shadows... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ephesians
Neophyte
Member # 9010

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Ephesians     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dzuunmod,

CNU does have Young Democrats and Young Republicans, but I'm not affiliated with either party.

I'm a member of the Constitution Party and there's not a "Young Constitutionalists" club on campus, so I'm even more alienated.

JAD <><

------------------
For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Posts: 22 | From: Woodbridge, Virginia, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go to a "liberal" college, but I've also spent alot of time over the years at a Christian college. To be honest with you, people at the my college are alot more open and willing to accept whatever creeds you choose to practice than are the individuals at the Christian college I've been to. You're not going to be harassed for going to church, or for wearing a cross. Frankly, you're not going to be alienated (most likely) unless you choose to alienate yourself by not accepting/listening to others. Now if you run around trying to force your Christian/conservative views on everyone else, then you might find yourself a bit alienated. (note: I'm not saying that in a mean way, I myself am a Christian and a conservative) No one is going to force you to drink or do drugs or have sex, and if you run into people who try to pressure you, then say no, and if they don't take no then just don't hang out with them. It's really as simple as that. You'll find that there really are quite a few people there who aren't so different from you.

Also, keep in mind that you don't have to just join groups that have "Christian" or "conservative" in the name. There are alot of other wonderful groups out there that will put you in contact with people with similar values. Have you thought about the community service groups? Is there an alcohol awareness group? How about checking with your university chaplin's office to see what other groups they can point you to?

Keep in mind too, that part of the experience of going to college is meeting people with different values systems and ideas about things. To be perfectly honest with you, it can sometimes be detrimental for you to only be around people who agree with you religiously and politically (IMHO). That's how you find out what you really believe...by truly listening to other's views, evaluating what they say, comparing it to your own values, and then evaluating (and possibly altering) what you think. Yes, it is profitable to spend some time with people just like you, but it can lead to an alarming amount of closed mindedness if you're not careful. I'm not saying you should take what everyone else tells you and automatically change what you believe...but you'd be suprised what you can learn from other people if you're only willing to put yourself out there and give them a chance.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if there's no young Constitutionalist group at your school, my friend, then your next step should seem pretty obvious.

If there's not enough interest for such a group, then try and latch on with a group that doesn't espouse the point of view of a particular political party, but rather, one that is based on a particular philosophy. Do you consider yourself a libertarian? Start/Find a libertarian group. Whatever you think of yourself as, there are others like you out there. Your views may not be as common as those of the Republicrats (not an actual party name, I know - just a reference to how they seem pretty much the same from up here), but how can you and your party ever expect to win office if you don't roll up your sleeves and do a little dirty work?

------------------
"I'd like to be an astronaut, but if I can't be an astronaut, I'd like to be a coach driver."
-Neil, 7 Up

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ephesians
Neophyte
Member # 9010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ephesians     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KittenGoddess,

That's just the thing. I have already spent lots of time with people who don't share the same values as I do. I went to a public school all my life, so I was around people from different walks of life.

My political views sprout from my religious beliefs and my education. My beliefs have altered before. For example, I'm now anti-WTO whereas I did not care about that issue two years ago.

However, my core beliefs will never change. I will always be pro-life and a devout Christian.

Dzuunmod,

No, I'm not a libertarian. In my opinion, libertarianism makes an idol of hedonism.

However, I do agree with you about the Republocrats. I don't see any difference between the two parties.

I guess you're right about the CP too. Its time that I start doing some "dirty work" as you say to help build the party on campus. I'm already doing a good job of building the party here at home, but colleges are another matter. That will be a challenge in and of itself.

I guess I'll find out if my college is really "accepting." Because its been my experience that liberals can be just as intolerant. I hope and pray that CNU won't be a place of persecution.

JAD <><

------------------

BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bottom line is that college is what you make it. If you go into college thinking that you're going to be oppressed, that is probably what will happen. If you go into it thinking that it will be a positive experience where you will grow as a person, then that is most likely what will happen. Attitude is everything, and that is especially true in the microcosm of the Real World that college is.

Wearing a cross isn't going to get you into trouble, neither is staying away from drugs, sex, and alcohol. Thousands of college students abstain from such behavior every year, and it is as simple as a "no" and/or a "goodbye." There isn't any need to fret over anything with such a simple solution, there just isn't.

Speaking out could make you an unpopular fellow, but that is always how it is. When you stand up for something vocally, you open yourself up into a whole world of criticism. This applies both in liberal and conservative institutions. I would tend to agree that college tends to be a place where there is more of a liberal influence than a conservative one, and I would agree that liberals can be intolerant too. But let's not lose sight of the big picture. Going to church, wearing a cross, and not having sex aren't things that are going to put you in danger or get you ostracized by the campus community. The beauty of college is that you are never alone...there is always someone like you no matter what your lifestyle or beliefs.

With that in mind, I recommend a positive attitude and a smile. It may seem trite, but if anything is going to make your college experience a success, those two things would be it. College is what you make it, and here's to hoping that it all works out for ya.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

I didn't think you were a libertarian, Ephesians. I just picked it randomly as a philosophy.

Sounds like you're starting to get the right idea about all this, though. And, that's good, because BruinDan is right.

------------------
-Neil, 7 Up

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the topic is still relevant, and I think i'll toss in my two cents...

I just graduated from one of the most notoriously liberal universities in the country. And I made myself into one of the most notorious conservatives on campus (even though I'm probably a little more middle on the scale than most).

I have to admit, during my first year there, I was afraid to let on my political leanings because I thought I'd be shunned. But in March 2000, there was a hot issue on the ballot that I absolutely had to vote on, so I wanted to re-register to vote (change of address and all). But for weeks, I was afraid to approach the table because then everybody (thousands of people) in the plaza would know my political affiliation. Then one day, a good friend of mine, whose party leanings I was unaware of, was supervising the table, so I went over. And he signed me up, but not until after I thoroughly explained that I was indeed at the right table. Dare I say, I don't look like your typical rightie.

Okay, maybe in some situations (i.e., protests and demonstrations), the conservatives take a lot of flak. I had bottles and insults thrown at me during one rally. But by and large, no one is going to outright persecute you. They may disagree, but university students are generally smart enough to know that intolerance isn't going to solve anything. I've come to find that when I disclose my party affliliation, I'm usually met with intrigue. Like, "You're a **what**???" But after the initial shock wears off, they're cool with it.

I think one of the most important things is if you think everybody's leaning one way, make it known that there are others who lean the other way. What's the point of debating and politicking if there aren't different sides to the story? Diversity of opinion is a great and wonderful thing.

oh, and one very important thing to have a grasp of is diplomacy. have a good, civil argument. it's easier to attract flies with honey than vinegar. if you want to write for the conservative publication, you better have a really good way with words because it never helps your case when people think you sound like a backwater idiot.

i've ranted enough. my point is, it's not the red mark of death to be labeled a conservative.

------------------
"Go that way really fast, and if anything gets in your way ... turn." Better off Dead starring a teenaged John Cusack.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.