Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Over the top?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Over the top?
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 13 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think in some situations, political correctness has gone over the top. People are getting paranoid!

I mean, my mum's friend is a social worker and she was recently told by her boss that it is racist to sing 'bah bah black sheep', so you have to sing 'bah bah white sheep' instead. I totally disagree with this!

1. This song is talking about SHEEP not people.
2. Replacing the word 'black' with 'white', could offend white people. Ok, I know it wouldn't, but that's my point - it's stupid.

So, if they decide that we can't say either 'black' or 'white' because it could offend people we'll end up singing 'bah bah magenta sheep...' Hey, that's quite catchy!!!

Anyway, what do you think about this - has it gone too far? Have you come across any other examples?

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
isn't it just as bad to sing "bah bah white sheep?" i mean, that's marginalizing the black sheep, innit?

i'm not a big fan of political correctness. i go a long with it when appropriate, but certainly, i agree that a few too many ppl have gone over the deep end with the hyphens and the euphemisms.

------------------
"Go that way really fast, and if anything gets in your way ... turn." Better off Dead starring a teenaged John Cusack.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Political correctness has gone a little bit mental hasn't it?

Everyone remember when an American reporter was reporting the release of Nelson Mandela from prison, and in a panic not wanting to call him black, he referred to him as African-American.

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Slayer_gurl:
...in a panic not wanting to call him black, he referred to him as African-American.

I always thought that was just an urban legend, especially since I'm old enough that I can remember watching a heavy dose of news stories about Mandela's release when it happened and I never heard a mention of that incident back then. But if it is true, it really wouldn't surprise me.

I undertand common courtesy well enough. I certainly don't want to belittle my co-workers by poking fun at their religious beliefs or ethnic background. That isn't political correctness, it's just decency. But beyond that, I get annoyed with do-gooders who "suggest" that we alter phrases so hypersensitive people do not take offense. Senses of humor are sorely lacking in society today, and I think the sooner we grow back our thick skins, the better off we'll all be.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.