Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » School Dress Codes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: School Dress Codes
Cate
Activist
Member # 3634

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Cate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know there was already a thread on this, but I wanted to go in another direction, other then just venting on how we hate them.

Yesterday, I was wearing a really cute skirt from Abercrombie and Fitch. If any of you shop there, it was the tenis one, very very cute. I also had a really cute yellow polo shirt on, with some cute sandal heel thingies. I think I had gotten the most compliments on that outfit then any other I have worn in my whole life.
Well during lunch, I was walking around, which due to the stupid lunch rules I won't even get into, the vice principal told me to go sit down. But due to this new girl coming, and I being so nice to give her my seat I had to find another one. She, referring, to my vice principal thought I was not listening to her and sent me to the office.
A few minutes later she sat me down in her office, and first explained to me that I wasn't listening to lunch rules, which I knew she was going to do, so I didn't care. But then she went on to talk about my choice in clothing. She said, it has been a growing problem, and blah blah. She was saying guys could see up my skirt, and I was getting attention and I probably do not want the attention for guys could take advantage of me beause of that. She then went on to say, since I look older then I am, (I'm 13, but look about 16) that I have a large chest, and need to choose less revealing clothes.

My mother sees what I wear everyday, after buying it for me, and she even ironed that outfit for me. She saw nothing wrong with it, and none of my friends did either. They assured me that there was no possible way you could see up my skirt, even when I sat down, and how dare she said that. I'm going to be speaking with my guidence conselour tommorow since this had angered, upset, and made me uncomfortable. I don't believe I EVER wear revealing clothes, and especially not that outfit. I also see no reason on why she had to comment on my larger bust size then most girls my age for it had nothing to do with it. I was wearing a collored shirt! I believe she crossed the line, and so does my family and friends.

I think many of the dress code rules are for safety issues and I understand them, but I believe some get extreme, and just somewhat pointless. Such as, and this is just my opinion, bandannas, pajama pants, tanktops, and such.

Also, besides wanting to get that out and to vent for a little bit, I wanted to see everyone's viewpoint on this. Am I overreacting? Are dress codes getting to extreme? What do you think?

[This message has been edited by Cate (edited 05-09-2002).]

Posts: 87 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i can't defend your choice of clothes 'cause i haven't seen them.

but about that comment on your bust. that was completely uncalled for. it's not your fault that you hit puberty a little sonner than some of your peers. a lot of "early-bloomers" such as yourself are insecure about their bodies as is, adults adding to that pressure only aggravates such insecurity. and if your clothes are otherwise permissible under school codes, but somehow objectionable on you, that's unfair. you should not be subject to any special regulations regarding dress.

i knew a girl in high school who stood 6'3". she always got sent home because her shorts were "too short." problem was, these were shorts that would have right at my knnes (i stand 5'3"." for her, finding clothes that fit was difficult at best.

------------------
Color is for crayons, not for people.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey

sometimes i think that school's make up silly and unnecessary dress code rules simply because they want to make up more rules to feel in control of the students. for instance, i went to a performing arts high school and in its first year of existence (my sophomore year) they were totally cool about dress code. there was much diversity among the students and they encouraged students to be themselves, and express themselves through their art as well as their appearance (within reason... they would understandably have a problem if someone came to school in their underwear or something). my junior year, they tightened up on the rules a bit. for example, no one was allowed to wear wallet chains and they started cracking down on people who wore baggy or "sagging" pants. when i became a senior, they took the baggy pants rule one step further by stating that students could not wear pants that touched the floor or covered their shoes when standing. they did not approve of students whose pants had frayed or torn hems. they made new rules about shorts and skirts lengths. my sister goes there now and they still have those rules and a few new ones. i understand that it is important for students to dress in a way that is not distracting to other students and that revealing clothing is not acceptable. but some rules, like the dragging pants one, i think is just silly (all my pants hit the floor because i am so short!)

another thing i wanted to mention was a story i heard about on the CNN show TalkBack Live recently. there was a school (can't remember where exactly) who demanded that the girls show their underwear upon arrival at a school dance. let me explain further:

the school held a dance and the vice-principal, who was obviously opposed to thongs and the wearing of them, stood at the entrance to the dance as the students arrived. at the door, each girl was asked what kind of underwear she was wearing and then told to lift their skirt to show the VP that she was or was not wearing a thong. on several instances, the VP actually lifted the girls' skirts herself. many girls (i'm sure all) were totally humiliated and fled the dance in tears from being embarassed in front of everyone else in line who saw their underwear, including male classmates. the VP stated that thongs were not appropriate for school, but apparently there was no rule in the dress code stating they were not to be worn. PLUS, if a thong is underwear, generally it remains under your clothing and not seen by anyone else.

what are some of your thoughts on this? i don't wear thongs but i was outraged when i heard about this. because all girls were forced to submit to this inspection. i know i would not want to lift my skirt for anyone, much less the VP of my school and a crowd of people waiting in line behind me.

did anyone else hear about this? gimme some feedback.......

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum8/HTML/000520.html
We definitely heard about it!

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
about them annoying dress code rules.

my high school prohibited backless shoes. your sandals and whatnot needed to cover your heels. as an avid wearer of flip-flop sandals, i thought it was stupid, till it was explained to me. apparently, when you wear backless shoes, it's easy for your heels to get stepped on. your shoes get caught and you trip. now on a stair case, this can be especially dangerous, and frnakly, the school didn't want to deal with such a liability (fodder for lawsuits and a sure-fuire way to jack up insurance costs).

such a safety hazard exists with baggy pants annd chains. they get caught on things. people trip. people can injure themselves and sue the school.

dress codes exists in the workplace, too. no open-toed shoes in medical facilities and laboratories. long sleeves and labcoats required. jackets and ties in the White House, hard-hat zones and the like. so dress code woes are not restricted to teenagers. sometimes they make sense.

------------------
Color is for crayons, not for people.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
doh!

it didn't occur to me to even search for that topic since i was originally replying to a post. sorry!!!

by the way, i did read that thread you provided. very interesting! i learned some more details about the incident that were not fully explained on the TalkBack Live episode that i saw it on.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cate
Activist
Member # 3634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dress codes. Bah. I don't like them, I'll say as much. But that doesn't mean that I don't understand them, or that I don't follow them. Of course maybe I've worn my flip-flops once or twice, when the weather was too nice to slid my feet into sneakers, or I wore tanktop, but 99.9% of the time I follow the rules. the dress ones, at least.

I realize most of the reasons we can't wear some clothes, for the safety reason. Closed toed shoes in tech ed, and home ec. And They don't want reveling crap, and such. And thats cool.

But the thing was, I followed the rules. I wore sandals but they covered my whole foot, so they were good. My skirt which she commented on the most, was below my fingers when I put my arms by my side, which is the rule. And my shirt had sleeves. And all the other clothes I wore before it were within in the rules.

That was why I was so irriated when she started commenting on it. And saying it was a growing problem. I know I wore nothing wrong, and if i did, then she could of just politely warned me, and let me on my way. But for her to comment on my bust, and my apperence meaning size, and the fact I looked older, and that I was getting attention for it, I felt crossed the line. GumdropGirl was right when she said, " and if your clothes are otherwise permissible under school codes, but somehow objectionable on you, that's unfair. you should not be subject to any special regulations regarding dress." I believe that fully, and I told my guidence counsouler that. She going to speak to my mother and v.p. tommorow about it.

I think the dress codes aren't being enforced, and when they are, it's started to become indiviualized. There can't say that one girl can wear this shirt cuz she had a small bust size, but another girl can't because of her large bust. They arenít fair!

Urghh...I don't know it's just really irritating me. I don't even know if I'm makeing sense lol.

Posts: 87 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XxAmy2005xX
Neophyte
Member # 8291

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XxAmy2005xX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate dress codes!! The other day at school I was wearing a short black skirt that had shorts under them and little cut outs at the bottom. It really wasnt that short. I was sitting at lunch and the principal came up to me and asked me if it was a slip that I was wearing. I assured her it was a skirt and she said I should pick out my clothing that I wear to school better.
Posts: 27 | From: House Springs, Missouri, USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenni
Activist
Member # 6560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what I find ironic is that some of these administrators/officials probably probably wore the very-fashionable-in-the-sixties miniskirt. Believe it or not, there are more important things to be enforcing/concerned about in schools than the dress code. Where these administrators come from is beyond me.

------------------
"Show me a leader who's fit to lead/Who don't sow his seed in anything wounded enough to breed/Because after all, what fun's power if you can't act like a rock star?"- Jewel, from "The New Wild West"

If you want to dip into someone else's life for a while then go here

Posts: 43 | From: US | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apoc-chan
Neophyte
Member # 8432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apoc-chan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody enforces the dress code at my school, so I see people walking around with their bra-straps showing. I don't give a flying ****.

Back at my old private school, we had an entire uniform, and I delighted in twisting around the rules, even though there wasn't much enforcement there either. We were supposed to wear these white, practically see-through blouses, and since I hate nothing more than a bra, I always wore my gym shirt under it. I never tucked my shirts in, and my undershirt was usually longer than my blouse. I also usually left my collar undone, which was a definite no-no. :P We weren't even supposed to wear shorts under our skirts, but I did always, and even took it a step further by wearing long sweatpants under it. I managed to start a trend! :P It's easy to do at tiny backwater private schools.

As far as shoes are concerned, I wore the same pair of rafting sandals the entire year, which was *definitely* not to code.

Even with all the fun I had messing with the code, I'm glad to be free of it once and for all. Nowdays, my casual day is Friday, on which I always wear my pajama pants and a ratty shirt. :P

Posts: 25 | From: Nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, guys, at least you can wear your own clothes most of the time!

I have to wear
a) an ankle length navy and red pinstriped nun skirt.

b) a white blouse

c) a red and navy tie

d) a woolly jumper that plays havoc with my eczema

e) black or navy tights!!!!!

and I have to wear navy shoes whose heel is no higher than 5 cm. And, they measure it!!!!

With a ruler!!!

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shenzie2007
Activist
Member # 9027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shenzie2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmph. I'm currently steaming about my school's dress codes too. And I quote:

"All students are expected to wear clothing and undergarments in keeping with their gender."

I'm going to assume they're the kind of people who wouldn't know about the differences between the term 'sex' (biological) and 'gender' (non-biological; how one identifies) and they were using a euphemism.
One thing is, how do they plan to check and enforce that rule?
This is Texas, but still... it's discriminatory against all crossdressers for whatever reason they do so. And what purpose does this rule serve? 9.9

[edited for typos]
------------------
"Pope John Paul today confirmed his opposition to gay marriages. Said that they are unnatural. Gay marriages are unnatural. Then he put on a pointy hat, his dress, and returned to never having sex at all." -- Bill Maher, Politically Incorrect

[This message has been edited by Shenzie2007 (edited 08-03-2002).]

Posts: 73 | From: dallas, texas, usa | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amez
Neophyte
Member # 9333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um.. wow, that's pretty crazy, that's what my dress code says, too. o.o (Maybe it's a Texas thing.) It also says no gothic attire or trenchcoats, which I find extremely silly.. even though I wear neither.. still.. it's a pretty pointless rule, don't you think?

(Yeah, this is my first post, I've been lurking around for a while.)

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Slayer_gurl:
Ok, guys, at least you can wear your own clothes most of the time!

I can sympathize there! I have been to a few different schools, and at one, the uniform was just feral, and was strictly enforced. Chocolate brown and gold! Can you just imagine. And the skirts were long too, and the tights thick.

Other uniforms I've worn include a white/blue/grey combo, a white/lemon/grey combo and a maroon/white/gold combo. Also all disgusting.

And on hot days, we still had to wear our "potato sacks", and on cold days you weren't allowed any extra coats etc, as it went "against regulations". So consider yourselves lucky there!! At least you can dress for the weather!!

Rose-zanney

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 4 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cate:
She was saying guys could see up my skirt, and I was getting attention and I probably do not want the attention for guys could take advantage of me beause of that. She then went on to say, since I look older then I am, (I'm 13, but look about 16) that I have a large chest, and need to choose less revealing clothes.

First off, I think she's being unfair to you and the guys who could see up your skirt. How could she assume that just because they could see up your skirt, they were going to take advantage of you? Hello? That is really unfair of her - not all men are sex-maniacs who can control their urges!

Secondly, she did not need to mention the fact that you have a large chest to justify her argument. That is just stepping over the line I feel. If your skirt was too short, she should have said, 'your skirt is too short, please wear a different one tommorow.'

We have to wear uniform at my school, black trousers/skirt, white shirt, blue jumper - no big deal really, compared to what slayer_gurl has to wear

*Badger*

------------------
Philosophers wonder whether the fridge light stays on when the door is closed; fridges wonder whether philosophers still talk rubbish when they take off their corduroy jackets.

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know the rule that says your shorts and skirts have to be below your fingers when they are down the sides of your legs? Yeah, well I have really long arms...no fair!

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think some dress code rules do make sense, but to comment on your breasts was over the line. She has no right to comment on your body.

Also, there is one reason I would like to have a uniform, and that is so I could bend the rules for it. I am a rebel...a responsible one. I get good grades. I dont drink alcohol, or do drugs or party. But I love pushing limits. I would just love to go in and bend rules.

Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darkspawn
Neophyte
Member # 10121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for darkspawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i go to a charter school and the only thing that they put as a dress code is that there is no gang wear, drug related subjects, or no profanity or obseane jestures, which means that u can wear what u want besides underwear on the utside of your clothes i think our dress code is the best one than any other school ive been to and i think it is really cool .but that comment about your bust was totally out of wack and crossed way over the line of the dress code to me. i think that the people enforcing these dress codes are going too far. like at my younger sisters school the girls cant wear any shirts that show any part of your belly, and have to have sleaves, they are making some stupid rules not only regarding the dress code, they made new rules about language, u cant say stupid, gay, dumb, ect.... they are getting too out of hand and somebody needs to do something about it. i also like to bend the rules a little bit like in 8th grade i would wear sleveless shirts that had really low cuts in the sides, i would wear my pants past my hips and if they told me to fix them i would but only for a few minutes, same with my belt i would let it hang down and do the same thing every day till they didnt care anymore and just gave it up. that thing with that v.p. any her grudge against thongs that was just wrong, people have a right to privacy and i dont think any girl would want to lift up there dress and show what kind of underwear they were wearing just because some v.p. has a disliking for thongs. its just not right. what has this world turned into.

[This message has been edited by darkspawn (edited 10-10-2002).]

[This message has been edited by darkspawn (edited 10-10-2002).]

Posts: 8 | From: noweresville,usa | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.