Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Limo for Prom

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Limo for Prom
CandyDreams123
Activist
Member # 5593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CandyDreams123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it normal for people to go to prom without a limo??? Has anyone went without one before? Did people say anything? I'm just curious, I know its not important to show you at prom in a limo, But I was just wondering .

thanks

Posts: 62 | From: TN | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez, how much has changed in two years?

I went to school at what I would call a typical upper-middle-class high school in a suburb of Houston. Most people either went in big groups or drove themselves, in their own cars.

It was kind of *uncool* to have a limo at my school. I mean, if you don't spend that money, you can spend it somewhere else - like going out to eat a big, fancy dinner before hand. Or, heck, you can just save it, like I did. I made my prom-night dinner!

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i drove my daddy's Benz to prom. why? 'cause that's what we have at my house. If he drove a Yugo, i probably would have driven a Yugo to my Prom.

but ask yourself this? what does a limosine prove? it's a long car. big whoopie doo. what does spending way too much money to rent one prove? absolutely nothing, except that you absolutely have to be just like everyone else.

imho, the limo is a waste of gasoline and money (and they look kinda stupid if you set aside all notions that you've been taught to perceive them to be objects of luxury). carpool. the environment will appreciate it if you do.

------------------
oh, don't even po-mo me, baby...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol at Gummy. No, you dont need a limo. I want one, just because I want to fit all my friends into the same car. I think they are cool. But do whatever you can afford. If you think that its going to blow all of your money then forget it. Drive whatever you got, you save a lot of money. And you dont have to worry about giving a tip to the driver!! lol

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

Monk N Bear~ Best Friends Forever! ~Luv ya babe!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

“One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Heather Corinna

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Limos are funny, hehe. Lots of kids in my school are probably going to get limos, but I think it's sorta silly. If my mother didn't object so strongly, I would just meet up with my boyfriend earlier in the day, and we could take the subway together! The real plan for now though is to just take a regular car service car. So, a nice car. Neither of us like cars much for environmental reasons anyway, but my mother thinks if I would get my dress dirty if I went on the train with it :-P

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i feel as if i have some 'splaining to do.

i have a personal beef with impractical cars. so if i disparage certain products of the automobile industry, well, you know why.

on my s*** list are: limos, SUVs, Mazda Miatas, Volvos (practical, yes, but also ugly as sin), Hyundais (just get bought out by Honda already) and rice rockets (get a freaking life, boys!)

i am a huge proponent for hybrid vehicles, fuel cells, public transportation (okay, i have a love/hate relationship with public transport, but i do love BART), fuel efficiency and trunk space.

and well, limosines are neither practical, nor efficient, and get crappy gas mileage.

ralph nader, eat your heart out.

------------------
oh, don't even po-mo me, baby...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shrinks to mini-lemming size*
Gummy, I like Volvos. ;]

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my volvo!

err... wait. We're talking about cars, aren't we.

I never took a limo to any sort of formal dance, and I went to 4 proms and a military ball. for 3 of the proms I went in my date's car -- his parents' Caravan twice and his Sunbird the last time. The other prom, my date was able to borrow his brother's Mustang. It was nice, but my date's PRESENCE made it nice, not the car itself. And to the military ball, we took my friend Brooke's Jeep. I would have been embarrassed to take a limo.

Hell, I'm not even renting a limo for my own wedding! We're going to do the horse-and-carriage thing instead. Depending on where we have the ceremony.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for my junior prom, me, my date, and 1 other couple went in someone's mom's camry. easiest thing to do. we got a nice dinner beforehand and just chilled.

for the senior prom though, at least in my town, people tend to go all out. i went when i was a sophomore and when i was a senior, and both times we had limos. that's probably at least partly because our prom is always at a hotel right smack in downtown boston, and no one wants to drive and have to sit in traffic on the mass. pike on the way to prom. this is somehow less onerous when you're not the one driving. also parking and all that is no longer a costly problem, with a limo. all legit concerns. plus they serve dinner at the prom.

i know that at the other high school in town, the prom was in some far-off yacht club somewhere, and the school provided a "party bus" because they didn't want a lot of people driving, and a lot of people took it. so it all depends.

i think limos make the thing more festive, but they're not really necessary.

as an amusing side note, i know a kid who had the opportunity to take his dad's lamborghini to the prom, but couldn't because he didn't know how to drive stick. hah. that should teach him, :-D

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I carpooled with my date and another couple, in a family car that belonged to the family of half of that other couple. I don't think that many people went all out with spending on cars at our prom (just called grad night where I was at).

For clothing, on the other hand, we did. I went in a vintage '70s velvet tux, complete with big fat bowtie and all. My friend rented a '40s-era brown pinstirpe mob sort of suit. We looked awesome.

------------------
She's a smooth operator/It's all so calculated/She's got a calculator/She's my soft touch typewriter
-Elvis Costello

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No limo for me either. Instead, it was the piece-o-crap 1986 Dodge Lancer that served as a chariot for myself and my date. That was the only car I could afford to drive back then with my minimum-wage jobs, so it had to do. I believe two or three couples did rent a limo, but they were the tiny minority and seemed very out of place.

Our prom was held in a high-rise building on the grounds of Universal Studios (a stone's-throw from our school). Another faraway school from a far more affluent neighborhood had a prom scheduled that same night. Theirs was on the penthouse floor, ours was on the ground floor. We came in cheesy cars, they came in limos and Mercedes'.

It was an interesing study in contrasts, but I don't really think that the folks from the other school had any more fun than we did. Their cars may have looked nicer, but on the dance floor that scarcely matters.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh. If I ever need a limo, I'll borrow one.

My dad used to rent em because he would drive bigwigs to and from the airport. And it's fun once in a while.

For my prom, if I absolutley must have a Limo, I'll go for that ugly green one I saw, or a stretched truck. Either that, or my friend has a couple connections. Maybe I'll convince my date to finish his '49 chevy. That'd be nice....

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fireryredhead
Neophyte
Member # 7951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fireryredhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going to the prom this year in my boyfriends '66 VW bus still equipt with puke-orange shag carpet and flower curtains.
heehee. He was going to go all out and rent a limo for us and all of our friends. But I wanted us to be able to leave when ever we needed too. But not many people are taking limos, I think thst died down in the 80's.
Katelin

------------------
Books NOT to give your kids:

"POP goes the hampster and other fun mircowave games"

Posts: 12 | From: exhustin' Boston | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Dzuunmod mentioned, we went to his prom in a family car. But many of the people in the graduating class pooled their money to rent a double decker bus!
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CandyDreams123
Activist
Member # 5593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CandyDreams123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanx for everyone replying, everyone it seems is taking a limo, I kinda want one but, they are soooo expiensive & I want to be able to leave when I want & I want go whereever I want, chances are your only gonna be in the limo for an hour or hour & 30 min.(the place is 30min away)
I dunno know exactly what to do.

We are both in 11th grade & We talked about just waiting to get a limo for our senior prom because that would be more special.

[This message has been edited by CandyDreams123 (edited 04-26-2002).]

Posts: 62 | From: TN | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My senior year, a bunch of kids pooled their money and were able to rent one of the short busses from the school district. One of the kids' mothers was a busdriver, and she drove them. It was pretty interesting to see.
Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melimelo
Activist
Member # 7361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melimelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my friends want to have a limo to get to prom. to be honest, its completely pissing me off. its not usefull at all, it costs a lot, but its more that they want to let some people get in the limo and not some others, and they are being mean with it and they only care about themselves. i know i could just say that i don,t want to, but its much more complicated than that.

but i had to say that going in a limo would be an experience.

Posts: 81 | From: north america | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angel07
Activist
Member # 8018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my friends and i are planning to get a limo even though we are only 8th grade, simply because itll be fun. like 10 of us will go in it so its like carpooling...in a way.. plus we arent going over the top in any other way, we wont have really fancy dresses or get our nails and junk done professionally. it will be our bit of glamour. heehee. but maybe we wont and will just drive together and spend it eating afterwards. lol we love eating.
Posts: 131 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My date sold his '49 chevy.

BUT, he did recently acquire a 1967 Firebird. That runs. It's bright yellow.

I have a thing for old cars. I'd rather take one of those to prom. Maybe a 1956 Belair. Yeah...

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.