Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Weather! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Weather!
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what do y'all think of this crazy weather, especially you Washintonians? It's sunshine-y right now, but apparently it snowed here this morning, today. April 23. And we thought that March was late for snow....It could be worse. It could be 40 days straight of rain...again.

What is your favorite type of weather? How about your least favorite? Does the sun make you happy?

------------------
MPAA Rating: PG for mild peril.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am an unabashed weather geek. I took a weather class when I was younger that fascinated me, and then I took an advanced meteorology course at UCLA in 1997 that absolutely rocked. In 1995 I actually marked down the temperature and weather conditions for every single day of the year. That's geekiness right there.

I like wind. Not the SoCal breeze that we get 365 days a year, but actual honest-to-goodness wind. The kind that makes you struggle to stand up, and the kind that allows you to make fun of friends whose things get blown away.

Beyond that, rainy days are pretty rad. I suppose it's basically just a case of ye-always-desire-that-which-ye-do-not-have, but that's how it goes. We have had three rain episodes since last July 1...and I'll be the first to admit I miss 'em.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
weather is all-important to me. i have sworn off moving to any place that may at any time be described as "ass-cold."

i like warm, sunny days where i can run around in a tshirt and shorts comfortably. i hate being cold, and i definitely HATE getting rained on (funny i live in the Bay Area with our 40 days and 40 nights, ehh?).

I like snow as long as I'm skiing.

------------------
oh, don't even po-mo me, baby...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too am fascinated by weather.

I used to love rain, but in December 2001 my neighbors house caught fire from the lightening so I get scared around it now. But I still love rain.

I also like the cold, but only when I'm prepared. And I'm usually not since I live in Texas.

I also like the summer! I like Wisconsin summers. They're very breezy, cool, and lovely. I hate Texas summers. They're hot, humid, sticky, wet, bright, etc.

I love all types of weather

------------------
Don't Mess With Texas.

"I'm a Texas woman, which means I don't need the help of a man to keep things rolling." -The Rookie

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love windy days, windy autumn days when the leaves go up in little tornados and you can smell everything and see all those colours.

I like the rain too. It's raining pretty hard right now and i was outside and it smelled delicious. I loved it. Windy and rainy all at once.

I spose those are my favorite kind of days. When it's a little cloudy, not cold, warm enough to wear a skirt and a tank top, but cool enough that you can wear a little sweater or jacket over top.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scorpio
Activist
Member # 4154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scorpio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well i am also a washingtonian and yup that snow was weird. I spent all day doing community service with my school. We arrived at our site and saw snow than later it was really warm out! I love the weather here. I don't think i could live anywhere else. People say rain 9 months out the year sucks but for some reason i love it!
Posts: 83 | From: Seattle, Washington | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just be thankful it's 1997 and you didn't live in manitoba or north dakota, i think.

I think it snowed april 8th or 9th, and i remember i slept at my friends the night before and i had to walk two blocks home and cars were stranded all over the main streets. It was freaky, school was cancelled and we had a lovely "flood of the century."

Oh yes...memories of sand bagging.
[edited to change mantiba to manitoba...i live here, you'd think i could spell it, eh?] hahah
------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

[This message has been edited by Celtic Daisy (edited 04-24-2002).]

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 10 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Danny, you only like wind because you aren't a 98-pound weakling and you don't live in Chicago anymore. If you know what I mean. :P
Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 6 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We British talk about the weather all the time!! England is famous for being rainy but today it was really hot!! I mean about 18'C! It's annoying when it's hot at school because the teachers have no concept of what 'hot' is - they won't let us open the windows. So we throw paper at them when they're not looking tee hee!
*lotsa hugs from da bajjah*

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'll reply to my own topic.

I absolutely love weather. At least most of it. I prefer the dark, the cold, the wind. I live for snow...I snowboard. It's my adrenaline. It's what makes me happy.

Rain in the summer is awesome. You put on some pajama pants, a tanktop, and run barefoot in the rain. That is the best. Playin in the mud is great too. Who says it's only for little kids?

I love the wind and the thunder and lightning. Anything that will knock the power out. That means I get to curl up in front of the fire and read my book. Mmmm...

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
18C??? badger, you've gotta be kidding me if you think that's hot! That's about how it is here today, and I was cold (might've also been the shorts and tshirt).

------------------
oh, don't even po-mo me, baby...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Yeah, 18 is just barely shorts weather. I'd 25 is hot, at the least. Hhee, good ole' canada, not too hot, not too cold.(most of the time..well, some of the time)

------------------

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well last week over here it hit 30 C, and i live in the same country you do
Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Man, that would be nice. It's been hanging around 5-10 lately. We did go up to around 25 for a day or two but then it went to 0. Sigh, when will the nice weather come to stay?

------------------

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:
weather is all-important to me. i have sworn off moving to any place that may at any time be described as "ass-cold."

Gee Gumdrop Girl, if I didn't know you better, I might think you were a wimp, or something.

------------------
She's a smooth operator/It's all so calculated/She's got a calculator/She's my soft touch typewriter
-Elvis Costello

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melimelo
Activist
Member # 7361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melimelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love weather! school days, i read the meteo page while eating breakfast. (and once i started laughing because there was something that made absolutely no sense, and since then my parents make fun of me). my friends know how i look at the meteo page, and they used to ask me when they wanted to know how it was gonna be.

I love all kinds of weather, but only if its during the right season.

Posts: 81 | From: north america | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am defineatly not a big fan of how the weather has been treating us, here in Ontario, lately. I went to school one week in shorts and a teeshirt (we hit a record here at 27oC) and was still sweating like crazy, and then the next week i had to wear pants, a sweater AND a jacket ... And BOOTS, b/c it snowed.

My favourite weather is cold. Sure i like being able to go to the beach and sit in the sun and suntan, but really... I like rainy and cold weather. Something you need to dress up real warm to and then half the time you're still cold I hate hot weather ... When i'm hot i get really cranky and just really hard to live w/, and no one wants that

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killer_raincoat
Activist
Member # 6610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killer_raincoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a fellow canadian i'd lik to complain as well.
I just get used to generally warm temperatures, and then it starts geting down to -18 C with windchill. crap.

i'm not sure how the weather is down in america, but i have friend over from england, and she's furious because usually its pretty cold and raining over in britain, but lately it's been gorgeous, and she's stuck in ole Winterpeg.

------------------
"Everybody thinks i'm such a horrible person, but i have the heart of a little boy. In a jar. On my desk." -Stephen King

Posts: 212 | From: Winnipeg | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star2be17
Activist
Member # 4769

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Star2be17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've been having some pretty wacky weather here in Northeast Wisconsin. we had such a wimpy winter (maybe 40 inches of snow total...terrible) so now mother nature decides to dump snow on us...at the end of april!

I'd rather be back in West Texas where i used to live...those were the days. 6 inches of snow and they cancelled school, 110 degrees in the summer. It's that hot and dry climate that i live for.....

------------------
"Distance and time do not make the heart grow fonder, but only serve to show he who is missing how deep and vigilent his love lies." ~~My boyfriend :)

Posts: 266 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Man, they cancel school here for less than three inches. Edmonds Community College closed all classes before noon for maybe 2 inches of snow. So what if the roads were pure blocks of ice in the middle of March...
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 6 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzuunmod:
Gee Gumdrop Girl, if I didn't know you better, I might think you were a wimp, or something.

Nah, Gummy comes from the land of 122*F heat that lasts from April through October. I guess we'll let her pass this time.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justagirl04
Activist
Member # 3824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justagirl04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I live in Oklahoma and it's absolutely CRAZY here. Yesterday is was all rainy and about 48 degrees outside, and today it was really sunny and about 85 degrees. I have to go outside in the morning while I'm getting ready for school to see if I can wear my trusty ol flipflops or not, lol. I made the mistake of not checking before I got dressed. WHOO, my feet got cold.

------------------
I'm missing your bed, I never sleep,
avoiding the spots where we'd have to speak,
and this bottle of beast is taking me home...
I'm cuddling close to blankets and sheets,
But you're not alone, and you're not discreet,
make sure I know who's taking you home...
I'm reading your note over again,
there's not a word that I comprehend,
except when you signed it "I will love you always and forever"...
as for now I'm gonna hear the saddest songs
and sit alone and wonder how you're making out,
but as for me, I wish that I were with anyone, making out...

"Screaming Infidelities" by Dashboard Confessional

~*Only God Knows Why*~

Posts: 318 | From: Oklahoma USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Mmmkay. Now I love the snow, but it snowed, again, on May 6. It's MAY. It should be sunny with flowers. The passes reported 9-12 inches of new stuff. And the ski season ended!
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

It's supposed to snow 20 cm's tonight.

------------------

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

somekrazydude
Activist
Member # 6355

Icon 13 posted      Profile for somekrazydude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ahh! it's supposed to snow, like celtci_daisy said it would be, tonight. that really sucks because it's close to middle of may and we're still having snow. that's way irregular. argh. those misplaced colorado lows...

------------------
"The complexity of my heart and soul is the key to unlocking the essence of my being."

Posts: 76 | From: Winterpeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Well, so far it's just raining a lot...i hope it stays that way. Better rain then snow.

------------------

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

It's been a while since I've seen this topic, but I thought it better to bring it up again.

Now, October is usually chilly. Let's face it--Many kids would like to have a nice warm wool costume than a skimpy spandex one. It's too cold, and you gotta go trick-or-treating!

In my state's capital last night, it hit 19 degrees fahrenheit. It's 30 or less right now. It was 28 this morning when I left for school.

Now, I'd prefer a bit of moisture for a little snow. That would be nice.

How's the weather for ya'll?

CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CutiePie4eva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm in NY... and i HATE this... its freezing one minute, than hot... than freezing again... its NOT sposed to be this cold yet!!! argh =*( lol i need time to prepare... and get lots of comfy big sweaters for the evil cold (can u tell i like hot weather) lol. i'm really easily freezing... and i'm one of those people who would rather be dying of hotness than dying of coldness.

the only thing i loooooove about the coldness is snow... and i mean a LOT of snow so i can have snowball fights... and go sledding... but without a lot of snow... COLD=EVIL. lol

------------------
dont worrie b happie... its like a law! =)

hunt for clothes NOT for animals. =)

Posts: 239 | From: new york, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's sort of drizzly here, which makes for bad trick-or-treating weather. I saw fewer little pirates and older dudes in clown wigs than usual, and we've still got chocolate left.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS

Better living through Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
It was snowing heavily in the northwest end of Toronto this morning but it's all melted away now.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol, you guys should appreciate that snow and cold weather more!!! Down here in Houston it is hot, hot, hot all year long! Well, right now, like this morning, it was cooler. 50s?
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 6 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After two long years, we've finally had a decent rainstorm. It rolled in yesterday just prior to sunset, and I stayed up far too late listening to the rain pounding upon the yard outside. For those of us who live in the desert, who have put up with two years of wondering why we couldn't manage anything other than a faint mist during the winters, this is quite a joyous occasion.

But it's not without it's problems. This storm brought with it enough wind to knock power out to a half million people down here, and a half million people up north. Gusts last night were heavy down here, but were measured all the way up to 140mph south of Lake Tahoe. The first rainstorm in a long time also tends to wreak havoc with underground electrical vaults and telephone-pole transformers. They like to explode when they get a little moisture in there after a long time without it, and the poor fire departments out here have been going nuts dealing with explosions every few blocks. And of course, since nobody here has seen any decent rain in two years, the driving is horrendous. Only three people died this morning, but the evening rush has yet to begin...and with roads flooded and people still in a hurry to get home, it's only a matter of time.

All the same, I'm just livin' it up right now. I figure that we may not see another decent storm for two years, so I may as well enjoy this one.

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three"

"Battery Stolen; Youth Charged"

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I went on a romantic overnight through Wine Country and up to Calistoga. it rained and rained and rained. It rained during our tour of the champagne vineyard. The winds tore up power lines on the roads and I was forced to turn around and reroute about 15 miles of my trip.

Thunder and rain crashed during dinner and took out the power during dessert. But that was fine because it made things cozy and romantic. The waiters lit more candles and continued serving. Luckily, the restaurant was in the inn where we were staying, so we didn't have to go out in the storm, we just went upstairs and went to bed.

The next morning, the power was still out, but we decided to brave the storm and visit a geyser on the edge of town. We didn't miss the electricity at all, and the rain wasn't awful. No major wrecks on the road. whenever the weather got rowdy, we'd just duck into another winery and wait it out

------------------
If the shoe fits, it's probably your size.

-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's currently -9° F (-22°C). Nothing terribly strange for the U.P. but yesterday it was 37° F (3°C)! I'm not sure I've ever seen the temperature drop so dramatically.
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
It was -25C (-13F) in Frankford, Ontario this morning. I'm surprised my car started, Will have to get a block heater if I move here permanently (along with a snow thrower).

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.