Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Does anyone do tae kwon-do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anyone do tae kwon-do?
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 5 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering if any of you did tae kwon-do, (its a martial art if you didn't know). I'm a blue belt and it rocks!! I love it coz it gives you confidence, keeps you fit and there's lots of nice boys too!
*lotsa hugs from da bajjah*

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't do tae kwon do but I did Karate and also thai bo. I'm trying to decide whether to join back with karate or join kickboxing. Wither way my mam won't let me get in the ring("Oh my God your face will be destroyed, I'm not paying thousands for orthodontic treatment for you to get them ruined, yadda yadda yadda")...
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heder
Activist
Member # 3532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's intresting badger, as most of the people i know who took tae kwan doe hated it. I take Karate, and there are alot of people who were in tae kwan doe, but switched. i prefer karate because rather then focusing simply on kicking techniques. Of course, yer style may be different. Martial arts are a great way to get exercise and feel good.

------------------
I think this boy's cheese slid off his cracker - The Green Mile

Posts: 49 | From: winnipeg,mb,canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Tae Kwon-Do for a year in 7th grade. I hated it. I felt completely incompetent, and dreaded going to class. Now I do Goju karate, am really good at it, and love it. YMMV.

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did Tae Kwon Do for two years in high school and I loved it. I didn't get further than blue belt though- after two years we got a new instructor who simply wasn't a very good teacher (although he was good at the martial art), which made it hard to keep interested. I've thought about getting back into it, but never gotten around to it.

I would recommend it to anyone though.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doplegager
Neophyte
Member # 7458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doplegager     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to train in Tae Kwon Doe. Made it to blue belt, red stripe, I think. Which, at least in the tradition I was taught, meant that I was two belts from black. wahoo. I loved it. It was one of the most positive influences in my life during middle school. Sadly, school got in the way and I didn't have time for it. Some day I'm going to go back and fufill my promise to Master Kim to become a black belt.

heh... I wish Master Kim had taught more often instead of letting his students do the teaching. We would learn so much more when he was teaching, which makes me wonder what Heder meant by "i prefer karate because rather then focusing simply on kicking techniques." I think that the depth of the training greatly depends on who is teaching.

heh... nowadays I've been training in kung fu. It seems much more difficult than Ta Kwon Doe. Back in my TKD days, they were grooming me to be a show horse for the school (getting the forms down and look good doin' 'em, throw in a little flair and whatnot), but with kung fu... whew... I'm still in the back of the class...

I think I prefer TKD, but the flow of kung fu seems so alluring. My experience with TKD was that it was a very stiff art, at least when someone other than Master Kim was teaching...

------------------
"He would have been perfect if it weren't for all of his flaws."

Posts: 22 | From: Wichita, KS | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heder
Activist
Member # 3532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
poetgirl, you take goju? me too. i think it's a really good form - i've seen stuff like shotikan that really can't compare. In regards to the person who was wondering what i meant about all techniques, it's just the styles i come across are more about pretty kicks for competition, then real defensive stuff. But's really just what i've seen.

------------------
I think this boy's cheese slid off his cracker - The Green Mile

Posts: 49 | From: winnipeg,mb,canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jewishpunk
Activist
Member # 8056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jewishpunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never took tae kwon do, but I want to start. I am in yoga cause I sorta have a bad temper, but I like Karate better. I am going to ask the people where I live if me and my friend can take tae kwon do.

Thanks cause I wanted to know what different people thought about tae kwon do before I started anyway.

Posts: 67 | From: Some unknown planet beyond the solar system. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.