Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » St. Patty's Day (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: St. Patty's Day
sparklydiamonds
Activist
Member # 7247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklydiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as many of you are well aware, st patty's day is coming up. i think we should start a string that celebrates and commemorates this event. first off, who here is of irish heritage? i am proud to say that my grandparents came to america from dublin. my family and i celebrates this event to the full extent and i just don't think people don't realize that this is a sign for celebration, to have fun and just to spend time with loved ones.

------------------
~*Diamonds are a girl's best friend.*~

Posts: 40 | From: City Of Lost Angels | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not Irish, as far as we know, but i don't mind doing a little something special on this day. It usually ends up being something special for myself.

I think i'll just end up going up to my room with some snackies and watch "the boondock saints". I love that movie so much, and Norman Reedus is a fabulous actor, hehe.

That's not too traditional, but i'm more scottish, despite having the name Erin, heh.

------------------
'Steve, sex with two whole women, think of the advantages...they can't both fall asleep. If one of them suddenly leaves or punches you, you've still got one left. If one of them plays that old sneaking out of the window trick, there's someone there to untie you. It's total genius.' -Jeff Murdock

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparklydiamonds
Activist
Member # 7247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklydiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my gosh! You have seen Boondock Saints?! Isn't that the best movie ever? Well, maybe not best movie but really really good! Lol. At least one of you people are doing your part to celebrate the occasion. I'll be going home to my family and having a full blown out celebration. A huge dinner, some drinks and then we'll have some Irish coffee. Can't wait till it happens!

------------------

Posts: 40 | From: City Of Lost Angels | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, i love it so much. I don't really agree with what they do in it..hehe, weird.

I only first saw it a couple of months ago, when i didn't know what to get at the movie store, where my brothers friend works, his friend went and grabbed it and said i'd love it...and boy was he right!

------------------
'Steve, sex with two whole women, think of the advantages...they can't both fall asleep. If one of them suddenly leaves or punches you, you've still got one left. If one of them plays that old sneaking out of the window trick, there's someone there to untie you. It's total genius.' -Jeff Murdock

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparklydiamonds
Activist
Member # 7247

Yeah I've seen the movie a while back but I still remember watching it like it was yesterday. It was such an interesting movie. I don't know about what they do in the movie though. Modern day angels? I don't know, if I didn't love the movie so much, I'd have to call them crazy! Lol.

------------------

Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though the city is primarily French, Montreal has a strong Irish community, and has a big St. Patrick's Day parade. I've always meant to check it out, and hopefully this year I'll get around to it.

We don't do anything as cool as Chicago, though, where they dye the river green. That was pretty impressive to 9 year old Dzuunmod when he visited the city on March Break in 1989.

------------------
I want to break my legs just so I won't forget to be nice to you.
-Moneen

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzuunmod:
We don't do anything as cool as Chicago, though, where they dye the river green.

Further proof that Chicago is, in fact, the coolest city on Earth.

Not too many Irishfolk out in my neck of the woods, so St. Patrick's day is a smaller holiday than say, the Chinese New Year. With SoCal's demographics the way they are, the biggest holiday party of the year is Cinco de Mayo, far surpassing even the 4th of July in terms of the amount of money that local government spends on it and the amount of people who turn out to celebrate.

My entire Dad's side of the family is Irish, but I tend to look much more like my mother's Lithuanian side, so you'd never know by looking at me. (I've always said that I've got my Dad's drunken Irish sense of humor, and my mom's Lithuanian nose. ) Not too many folks out here do special things for St. Patty's Day, it's mostly just dyed green beer and dyed green hair. But since it falls on a weekend this year, perhaps I'll go join the celebration at my local pub.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparklydiamonds
Activist
Member # 7247

Do they really dye the river green in Chicago? Wow. I wish I can go to their celebrations. I bet it's wild. Lol. Yeah, same here, it's not as much celebrated but it's been a part of my life since I was little. My bro's even named after the saint. Though not blessed with saintly qualities though. Do any of you watch the Family Guy? If so, does any of you remember the episode where Peter takes his son out to learn about his Irish heritage? Pretty funny. Life of an Irish woman: Praying to god, popping out babies and getting beaten. Ok, I guess it doesn't sound to funny when I type it out but it's all in good humor. You'd have to have been there or seen it to get it. Lol.

------------------

sparklydiamonds
Activist
Member # 7247

All right activist! I just notcied that! I'm so happy! He he. Anyway, y'all have a good day!

------------------

Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woo hoooo!!! I'm Irish!!! I mean the real Irish, the type that roams the hills but naked witht their green hair blowing in the Irish wind while drinking my pint of guinness and chasing those damn leprechauns i.e. I was born and raised in Ireland and am still there. To be honest, the celebrations here are quite crap, and our parades are really bad, and no one really cares anymore about St. Patrick cos all he did was introduce Catholicism and its trying to get rid of that is what we're doing :P But nevetheless, I shall be painting my face green white and gold, donning my shamrock as I watch the badly organised floats go up and down the Main street in Cork City. The town where I unfortunately lvie.

BTW we actually don't dye out river green, we don't need to. The pollution beat us to it.

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparklydiamonds
Activist
Member # 7247

Allright! Go Irish people! Irish people unite! Lol. I'm glad despite how bad the celebrations are, people are still taking it into their own hands and doing a little celebrating of their own! We should all have one big St. Patty's Day celebration right here! :P He he. That would so rock.

------------------

justagirl04
Activist
Member # 3824

Icon 6 posted      Profile for justagirl04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wear green and pinch all of the ppl not wearing green! I am Irish, and proud of it!

------------------
My SiTe

~*Only God Knows Why*~

Posts: 318 | From: Oklahoma USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigris
Neophyte
Member # 6207

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tigris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi im irish!i live in northern ireland,belfast to be procise!i have to agree our celebrations r pretty pants mine usually consist of being dragged off to mass (church)then up to st patricks grave in downpatrick then for a pint of guness. i wish there was a big mad celebration but because of the religious despute over here that would be hard!

luv tigris
(tigris meaning tiger in irish)

Posts: 31 | From: Ireland | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Irish blood on my father's side, and visited Ireland last December.

My family has always noted St. Patrick's day not because of St. Patrick, but because it is my parents' wedding anniversary.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somekrazydude
Activist
Member # 6355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for somekrazydude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
st patrick's day rules. my bro was named after him, though my bro was actually born on the 16th. heh. yeah and the day is my parents' anniversary. going on 18 years. whoopee for them.

------------------
"It's only after you've lost everything you're free to do anything."

Posts: 76 | From: Winterpeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

Icon 7 posted      Profile for CutiePie4eva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm a tad bit less than 1/2 irish =) lol my mom is almost fully irish... cept a tinsy winsy bit english and french... but watevers... the other 1/2 of me is chinese... anywat... i love st patrick's day! my mom makes cornbeef (YUMMY!!!!) lol and cabbage and those yummy little potatoes... ooo i'm hungry! and once in awhile if we feel up to it we go watch the parade... ooo and cant forget irish soda bread! (with butter of course) =D
Posts: 239 | From: new york, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somekrazydude
Activist
Member # 6355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for somekrazydude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i wish i can taste irish coffee. i hear it's sposed to be good or aomething but i wanna try it for myself. unfortunately, you have to be 18 here to taste it. i hear from other people that back in ireland, you don't have to be of legal age because it's such a common thing there.

------------------

Posts: 76 | From: Winterpeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No that's actually not true. You have to be 18 to drink any alcohol here and that has whiskey in it so its a no no! And just for the record, Irish people really don't drink as mcuh as ,any people seem to think. When we party we definitely PARTY but we're not all a nation of alcoholics or anything.
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star2be17
Activist
Member # 4769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star2be17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kiss me, I'm Irish!

------------------
The world's a rollercoaster, and I am not strapped in

Posts: 266 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somekrazydude
Activist
Member # 6355

oh no, oh no. i'm not saying you guys are just alcoholics or anything. if you thought that was what i meant, i apologize. so i guess some of the thingsi 've heard were wrong, eh? so some irish people out there, please set the record straight.

------------------

Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Gotta watch out for those stereotypes, somekrazydude.

------------------

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

somekrazydude
Activist
Member # 6355

it's just that someone told me that came from ireland when she was young, she used to drink it all the time and it was she who told me that it was like that there. so, sorry.

------------------

PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What any give country's laws are does not always line up with people's experiences. I don't know the drinking age in Canada, but I would bet that you probably know some people under that age that have had alcoholic beverages. If I went by the people in my school, who are all underage, I would think New York was full of alcoholics too.

------------------
"I'll be a Venus on a chocolate clamshell rising on a sea of marshmallow foam."
-Hedwig

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somekrazydude
Activist
Member # 6355

i suppose you're right. i didn't mean to do any bashing of the irish or anything. i'll watch my wording next time.

------------------

Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

I didn't mean to sound like I was givinh out or anything. I just think I have to nip those stereotypes in the bud
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's nineteen in Canada, and yes, going by what I saw in highschool would be enough to convince me that most Canadians were irritating, drug-using, popularity-seeking alcoholics.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Irish blood here . Do they really die the rivers green in Chicago?! That's awesome! Except for that Chicago is the home of the Bears . We had a family friend who was Irish. Red hair, freckles, the works I do dress in green in pinch people on St. Pattys day though. It's March 17, right?
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Actually milke, every province has they're own set age. In Manitoba it's 18. I think that's fair because if you're considered an adult when your 18, you're allowed to vote, live on your own and what not, then you should be allowed to drink, whether it's good for you or not.

------------------

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

sparklydiamonds
Activist
Member # 7247

Well, looky here! My very own thread growing like my own baby! Lol. I'm so glad people have taken an interest in St Patrick's Day. It's coming up pretty soon and I, for one, am looking forward to see celebrate it!

------------------

Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Happy St. Paddy's Day to u all from an Irish Leprechaun!!!!!!! Unfortunately I was working all day so I missed the parade( I didn't miss mich, it was raining all day so they parade was shortened!
TenohSetsuna
Activist
Member # 6092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TenohSetsuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
St. Patty's Day! Gotta be one of my favorite days. Of course this year it sucked because my dad's out of town, and he's the one who celebrates with me. The girls on my team were going to have a big old party and all get smashed, but that didn't work out because of some thing that a bunch of them had to go to. Probably for the better, too, as I don't drink. But ah well, it's St. Patrick's Day, I'll have to get over the lack of celebration, eh?

------------------
I don't want eternity. But Arashii is mine.

"I never said I was a boy." - Tenoh Haruka, episode 92, Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon

Posts: 102 | From: SoCal | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks
Activist
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
St. Patty's day is big on my mom's side of the family. We're three generations removed from Ireland, but that's not the point. Every year we go to my aunt's house for corned beef and cabbage and red potatoes. With green jello and green pineapple upside down cake for desert. We aslo get green carnations and candles on the table, with Mr. Potatoe Head as the centerpiece (hey, the potatos are very important to the Irish).

And this year is my 16th birthday (which is the 30th) so the day has gained a bit more importance because of four items of jewlery. Two pairs of clover earrings, and two clover charms. My grama went to Ireland when my mom was ten years old and bought for pairs of clover earrings. One for herself and one for each of her daughters. Only two pairs haven't been lost, my mom's, and mine (which were given to me by my grama when I was ten). We're having new clasps put on them (they dangle).

And the four-leaf-clover charm. When my mom was 16, she and my grama were at a jewlery store and spotted this charm. They both wanted it. But, my grama had money on her and my mom didn't. SO, it was my grama's. But my grama's was stolen soon after. On my mom's next birthday (her 16th), she got a replica of it that was not real gold, that my grama had just coincidentially found. My mom had a gold one made for my grama. My mom wore hers every day for twenty-five years until the plating ran out. At some point my grama gave her hers, I don't know when. So, for my birthday I get my grama's and my mom is having a new one made (a thicker one, she says my grama's is too light for her).

So, those are our little Irish parts of my family I like having stories to tell.

Posts: 103 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
um. if you're talking about the chicago river that runs right thru town, then it's not dyed lol. i was there in may or june once, and it was definitely an unnatural shade of green completely unrelated to st. patrick's day.

ew.

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somekrazydude
Activist
Member # 6355

he he. that's kinda gross. so it's green all yer round eh? triple ew for that. i wonder what made it into an unnatural shade of green...

------------------
"It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything."

sparklydiamonds
Activist
Member # 7247

Yeah, I was wondering about that as well. Could it be from the waste or something? But sure does look festive come St Patty's Day...LOL.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.