Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Kidspeak!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kidspeak!
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While doing a search on Harry Potter, I came across the website for Kidspeak, an anti-censorship organisation started by children (though I'd imagine that it's more of a adult/child coalition). It was originally known as Muggles for Harry Potter, and was started because of a huge number of attempts to censor the popular Harry Potter series in public and school libraries. However, it has since expanded and now deals with childrens' censorship issues in general (using the term "children" quite broadly to mean anyone under 18)- I saw articles on attempts to ban things from Judy Blume's Forever to Huckleberry Finn.

I think this is a great example of how young people can stick up for their rights and liberties in a positive and non-violent way. The organisation has clearly had a lot of success, and I'd encourage everyone to take a look at it, and share their thoughts.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone tell me this http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/HP-Movie.htm is a joke. I am by no means a fan of Harry Potter (the movie was dry and dull) but that is ridiculous. Lord Of The Rings was wonderful though.

I particularly like this: "Nor did a spokesman from the Roman Catholic Church. "I haven't heard anything within the Catholic religion that suggests this is anything to be concerned about," he said, following the pattern of unbiblical tolerance touted by his Protestant and Anglican counterparts. Apparently, the division between church leaders who support Harry and those who don't runs through many nations and denominations."

Note "Unbiblical tolerence." Thats a bit of a slip up, admitting that apparently the God who asked everyone to love their neighbour is in fact quite opposed to tolerence of other cultures!

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

[This message has been edited by Confused boy (edited 01-28-2002).]

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Munchy
Activist
Member # 6463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Munchy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it's a joke, but I think it's pretty funny that they quote Deuteronomy where it says that those who "call up the dead" are an "abomination to the Lord." Jesus called up the dead on numerous occasions, and I doubt they would say that he's an abomination to the Lord. Which is why Deuteronomy is in the Old Testament, not the new.

------------------
Munchy, the Munchkin, the Monchichi

Posts: 64 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TenohSetsuna
Activist
Member # 6092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TenohSetsuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've checked out the site that Confused boy posted. They're not kidding. These folks are effing serious. I don't think I've ever even met a Christian that said they weren't going to read fantasy books because of their religion. Besides, where in the Bible does it say that Christians can't enjoy life? Some people take things just a little too seriously. The guy who did the site had some story about how he invoked a spiritual being when he drew a Pagan symbol or something and called out for his god to help him... That sent me rolling on the floor for a good long while.

------------------
I don't want eternity. But Arashii is mine.

"I never said I was a boy." - Tenoh Haruka, episode 92, Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon

Posts: 102 | From: SoCal | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nataliev
Neophyte
Member # 5946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nataliev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember watching the Simpsons, and remember the quote from Christian Ned Flanders "And Harry Potter and all his friends, went straight to Hell... for practicing Witchcraft!" and his kids go.. 'YAYYYYYYYYYY'

Sorry. It related.

Nat

Posts: 23 | From: Victoria, BC, CANADA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.