Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » poetry

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: poetry
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 5 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i just wanted to know if anyone in here goes to poetry.com? i have four poems on their of my own and me and my mom are being published in one of their books.i love poetry and would love to read some of yours if you have any.
Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do I do! I have a sonnet, if I remember correctly. It was selected to be recorded onto a 33-poem anthology. I am also a Famous Poet for 2001, and I was supposed to get the Muse of Fire trophy. Unfortunatly, I have no money and couldn't go to the conference or afford to have the tropy sent to me. I may have a couple more. I don't remember. The one on there is called Angel.
Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sh!mmeR!ng*staR
Activist
Member # 6475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sh!mmeR!ng*staR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I write poems.... i've got a teenopendiary full of them, but the site's down right now :/ Once it comes back up tho, I'll give you the link. Not to toot my own horn but they're pretty darn good ^_^

------------------
Prosperity that
the golden Muses
gave me was no
delusion: dead, I
won't be forgotten
-Sappho

Posts: 97 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
link80
Neophyte
Member # 5412

Icon 8 posted      Profile for link80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Poetry.com is a scam! I have a poem "published" in one of their books, and so does a friend of mine. I didn't buy the book because I think that THEY should pay ME for my work!!! BUT, my friend did buy the book... and never got it... Then, I worked at Barnes and Noble for awhile, and used their computer book ordering network thingy to search for the book, and guess what? It doesn't exist! And, to top it all off, they keep sending me crap saying I've won this, I'm going to be in that, blah, blah, blah, BUT I have to keep paying more and more money! What a scam!
Posts: 12 | From: Kansas | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kite
Activist
Member # 5957

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Kite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with link80. I think the reason the books don't show up on Amazon or B&N is because they are not really "published", just made and distributed, at an extravagant price, to the people who have been "selected" to be published in them. What a joke. I am not even sure a human reads the poems before "selecting" them, because I had a poem that was placed in an anthology _completely_ unrelated to what it was about. It seemed like they just ran a search for some keywords on all the poems and published whichever poems came up.

I was so excited the first time I got a letter from them, though...

Posts: 127 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since we have so many poets here, perhaps we should start a topic devoted completely to poetry. Perhaps Village People would be a good forum for that. No scams that way, just sharing each others work. "Poetry Please" perhaps?

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 14 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sounds good to me
Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, do any Canadians on here watch "Street Cents"?

If you did, you'd have heard their story recently on Poetry.com. A girl wasn't satisfied that she had to pay to get her poem in the book so she asked street cents to investigate. Last year, they sent in four poems made up of random words people on the street gave them. They got a letter back that said they would be published if they sent the money. A year later, it still hasn't happened, and now they're asking for more money.

On top of that, the only people who are going to read the book, are the ones that submitted poems to them. It's not a publically sold book, you have to buy it online.

They also tried another scam that said they would make a book about the 9/11 disaster, but once again, this book would only be available to those same people, and they said that a small amount of money would go to a fund, one which had not been decided yet.

------------------
'My advice is to get them off right after your shoes and before your trousers...that's the sock gap. Miss it and suddenly you're a naked man in socks. No self-respecting woman will let a naked man in socks do the squelchy with her'-Jeff Murdock
(Coupling, BBCC)

~Erin~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i am not canadian but i looked them up on the better business bureau and they just said that they have had 1 complaint about the book being sent a long time after it was ordered and it was resolved. they never asked me for money but if i wanted a copy of the book. and besides even if i never get published i thought it was a nice place to put my poetry where other people online could read them. so im not that disappointed besides im about to take a course on writing childrens books and maybe i will go on and write short stories and some day i hope to write a novel. so im ok if poetry.com is a scam because i havent sent them any money anyway.
Lilfran14
Activist
Member # 6858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilfran14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not go to poetry.com, but i do write my own peoms, here are a few of them,, tell me what you think.

If it wasnt for her,
Ide be ok
If it wasnt for her,
I wouldnt feel grey
all she did was snap her fingers
and she took him away,
she was suppose to be my friend,
but what a good friend in the end,
what should i do?
all i am feeling is blue,
im never happy
and im affraid of what i might do,
i cant help myself
and neither can you,
so lets give up
and let me do what i gotta go.

One day ill be gone
and you wont know about the things i do
one day ill be gone
and youll regret never letting me talk to you
one day ill be gone
and youll regret not saying goodbye
one day ill be gone,
and forever youll wonder why,
i thought she was happy,
such an athletic kind of girl,
what happened to her
to make her think there was nothing left in this world,
people always put her down,
and never want her around,
she didnt know what to do
she didnt even have a clue
its just one day shell be gone,
and you wont know what to do,
one day shell be gone
and you will have forgot everything you went through.

Would u notice if i wasnt here,
i guess the real question is
would you really care?
and be honest,
i dont like liers
or a broken promise,
i feel like crap whenever your around
because all you do is put me down
you make me feel like a 0 outta 10
and you make me feel like crap again,
i just want to run away
and never say goodbye
but your always going to be there
to make me cry,
i cant escape this,
no matter how hard i try,
i guess im just going to amount to nothing
until i die!

Well those are some of my poems!

Posts: 183 | From: Buffalo, NY :) | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please post any work that is suitable for PG-13 to the "Poetry Please" thread in Village People. Would be nice to have a store of poetry there. Futhermore, for the small outlay of $45.99 I can guarantee a... (only joking )

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Confused boy:
Futhermore, for the small outlay of $45.99 I can guarantee a... (only joking )

Haha, lol. I didn't understand when i first read it because i was just skimming, hehe, stupid scams!

------------------
'Steve, sex with two whole women, think of the advantages...they can't both fall asleep. If one of them suddenly leaves or punches you, you've still got one left. If one of them plays that old sneaking out of the window trick, there's someone there to untie you. It's total genius.' -Jeff Murdock

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the1andonly
Neophyte
Member # 4925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the1andonly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I write poems. So that poetry.com is a scam? Darn! I wanted to try it! Anywayz, my site for my poems ishere. Anywho, some might not like it because I do a lot of free styling and not so much rhyming or those other types of poems. But it helps me just get what I want to say out. It really helps. You all should try it! Well gtg!

------------------
CrisE
Love me for me

Posts: 23 | From: Erie, PA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frozendreams
Activist
Member # 7638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frozendreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok besides poetry.com i found a btter place to pu all of my work, poetry and short stories. it is openfiction.com andyou can do search and look up my work. i am frozendreams. that is where i have my recent stuff at.
Posts: 118 | From: dayton ohio usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.