Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Freak Dancing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Freak Dancing
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did any of you watch Inside Edition on Friday? They did a segment on "freak dancing"and how a lot schools are banning it. Personally, I think Inside Edition is super lame, but they were talking about it, so..

What are your views on "freak dancing" in schools? Do you agree it should be banned? Do you take part in it? Are your parents against it? Is your school against it?

For me...

My school has "banned" freak dancing. It seems kind of silly to ban a kind of dance, but whatever. Everyone still does it, including me. I don't think it's wrong or dirty. We're still wearing our clothes and it's a safer alternative to having intercourse.

My parents are most definitely against it, but they don't really know that I dance that way. I would probably be concerned if my child was doing it, but it's really not that harmful. There are much worse things for us kids to be doing.

This isn't the first time dancing has become a big issue with parents and kids. I'm my grandparents felt the same way with my parents. Everything turned out alright, but some people forget about that.

So basically, as long as everyone keeps their clothes on, I think it's alright.

What do you think?

------------------
Useless Crap

"This **** ain't over until the last record spins." Groove

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's Freak dancing and I may have an opinion?
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inside Edition describes it as "Freak dancing is a craze that causes even the most open-minded person to blush. The bumping, grinding and suggestive nature of this type of dancing is very popular with many teens."

That basically sums it up, but I don't think it's a bad thing. I think it's fun.

Oh yeah, and of course you may have an opinion. Everyone on Scarleteen has an opinion.

------------------
Useless Crap

"This **** ain't over until the last record spins." Groove

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, i don't like it. I just don't think it looks good, and it doen't look like fun for me.

------------------
"where'ths my mommy?"
-Shawna

Akimsa (non-violence)

~Erin~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it wasn't banned at my high school, but i remember there was a controversy in a nearby town when they banned it at, i believe, a middle school because these kids were not only freaking but unzipping their pants, taking off their shirts, etc. at school dances.

not always good clean fun, i guess.

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a big fan of freak-dancing. I think there's really a time and place for everything, and when I'm dancing, it is neither the time nor the place for someone to be grinding their genitals against my derriere. I also don't really like to see it -- I feel as though the freak-dancers are completely ignoring the feelings of everyone else on the dancefloor.

That's just me. If you're into it, however, freak in good health.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes... keeping your clothing on at school functions is a Good Thing. I don't see anything inherently bad in the dance as long as everyone remains clothed. Still, it's not something that I'm going to participate in, because it's too overtly sexual for my tastes. It's not something I want to see, either, but I wouldn't ban it just because I don't like it.

------------------
Sapphire Cat
You can love me or hate me, but it won't change who I am.

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think its nasty personally but hey, I think everyone should be free to dance the way they want.

Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't know what it is... anyone mind sharing the info?

------------------
"It's impossible to satisfy everyone, and I suggest we all stop trying." -Jennifer Aniston

greenjay blog

Don't Mess With Texas

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoohBear84
Activist
Member # 6516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoohBear84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to dance, and i love going clubbing, and bumpin and grinding, i also live in NYC, where school functions aren't really the place to go dancing, so our school hasn't really been concerned with "freak dancing" I'm still not quite sure what it is, but if it's grinding (like in dirty dancing,) it can be fun, and really cool to watch if done tastefully.

But that's just my personal opinion

------------------
~*Katie*~

Be yourself, because then no one can ever tell you that you are doing it wrong

Posts: 91 | From: New York | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Munchy
Activist
Member # 6463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Munchy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Daydreamer, you could scroll up or you could remember back to the 80s when it was called dirty dancing. There was even a movie about it...anyone remember that? I don't see anything wrong with it. A lot of dancing is sexual anyway...dirty dancing is just being a little more explicit with what you're thinking, and can be great foreplay...or not, doesn't have to be anything but dancing. My school never banned it, maybe because I was a freshman the year the movie was released.

------------------
Munchy, the Munchkin, the Monchichi

Posts: 64 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OoMEoO
Activist
Member # 6026

Icon 10 posted      Profile for OoMEoO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i love to freak dance...ITS FUN! and how else is there to dance at a club or school dance???
Posts: 118 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Swing and Ballroom. My highschool always play's the Electic Slide, too. But there always is the freak dancin.
Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sh!mmeR!ng*staR
Activist
Member # 6475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sh!mmeR!ng*staR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really freakdance at the school dances--my friends and i usually just dance/hang around in a circle so freakdancing is damn near impossible. But there have been a few instances, and i think it was fun ^__^ It's not like we stripped on the dance floor or anything. I don't see what the big deal is..

------------------
Prosperity that
the golden Muses
gave me was no
delusion: dead, I
won't be forgotten
-Sappho

Posts: 97 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justagirl04
Activist
Member # 3824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justagirl04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my former high school, if we did anything besides fast dancing.... about 3 feet apart... we got time outs! We were sent to a room like little kids for dancing too close. They played 2 slow songs, IF THAT, at our dances. I think we only had 2 dances last year b/c no one would come if they couldn't dance the way they want to. Dancing doesn't do any harm, in my opinion.

------------------
my awesome website

I talk to you every now and then,
I never felt so alone again.
I stop to think at a wishing well,
my thoughts send me on a carousel.
Here I am standing on my own,
not a motion from the telephone.
I know not a reason why,
Solitude's a reason to die.

"Carousel"-Blink 182

Posts: 318 | From: Oklahoma USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've been out of high school for a few years, but I can put in my two cents about this still, I think.

I used to be an editor on the school news staff. We had a picture taken at one of the dances cut because the couple featured was "freaking."

The big controversy was that the school officials don't do a darn thing about it when it is going on at the dance, but to portray what actually happens at the dance - no way.

Sigh. I think it's kind of silly. Maybe I'm an old-fashioned girl, but I really don't think that sort of thing belongs at a school-sponsored dance. At a club, sure, but not at a school dance. And it's kind of...indelicate...for "in-public" behavior. I don't look kindly on people groping and French kissing in the hallways, and I don't see why "freaking" should be okay at the dance either.

However, if you're not in a school environment, by all means, go for it. It's just dancing, it's not going to hurt anyone!

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

this is what you get for liking it.
"Sebastian, you're in a mess, you had a dream they called you king of all the hipsters - is it true or are you still the queen?" --Belle and Sebastian, "Put The Book Back On The Shelf"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lil' GreenBean Nose
Neophyte
Member # 7016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' GreenBean Nose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can see why people might have a problem with it, since I guess it can get pretty "explict" or something. Last year at a Jr. Beta Club convention, my guy friend got kicked out for "dirty dancing", so people around here have a problem with it. I enjoy it though, but hardly ever dance at anything school related, since I hardly ever go to anything school related. I really wish I could find classes to teach me how to do Swing or Latin dancing. That looks like alot of fun... (Btw, thats for the compliment on the username, Miz Scarlet.)
Posts: 10 | From: Alabama | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

Icon 7 posted      Profile for CutiePie4eva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've never heard it refered to as "Freak dancing" lol me and my friends call it just plain dancing... cause thats how... we dance lol... my school hasnt banned it... and when people do it at a dance they "look the other way"... but actually one of my friends was doing it and some seniors went up to her and asked her to stop ... not the the teachers... its was kinda funny... but otherwise yah my friends do it all the time at clubs and such... i would if i could... but i'm not all that great at dancing but i try! lol
Posts: 239 | From: new york, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lilfran14
Activist
Member # 6858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilfran14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well i acually totaly agree with freak dancing, i dont see anything wrong with it at all. In our school they tryed to tell us not to do it but so many people did it they couldnt stop all of us.

of course i take part in freak dancing its the only way to do it!! Ive never really talked to my mom about it but i think she would probable be against it, but then again she might not, shes unpredictable. My school is definatly against it but to bad for us we outnumber the faculty.

There are soo many worse things kids can be doing than "freak dancing" i think pepple should be happy thats what were doing and not other things.

------------------
~*Katie Frances*~
"No i dont want to meet ur friends,
and i dont want to start over again
i just want my life to be the same just like it
use to be"

"In the land of the free, home of the brave, why is it that i still feel like a slave.?"

Posts: 183 | From: Buffalo, NY :) | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just*this*girl
Neophyte
Member # 7372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just*this*girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think freak dancing is just that kinda freaky. Dancing is great and the bumping and the grining aint that bad. But I think you should have some sense of decency when your at a school thing. People do judge you on that sorta stuff.
Posts: 16 | From: Never Never Land | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks
Activist
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my school in the yearbook, for the homecoming pictures we have the homecoming king and queen dancing ::rolls eyes:: so you can see how it's taken. My mom is a middle school teacher, and she's been spying on my enough at my school dances to be outraged about it. *shrugs* As long as clothes remain on and everyone remains verticle I think it's fine. If it's not against the school rules, more power to you.

Personally...I'm just not into it. Don't get me wrong, I love to dance, in every kind of way. You can see me bouncing around to punk music or swing dancing or just standing around, rolling my hips and moving my arms. Some of it looks sexual, some of it doesn't, *shrugs* none of it is too crazy. I don't think any parents would object to it.

I'm more of a if it makes you happy then do what you want kind of gal

Posts: 103 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Dirty Dancing, I just got that! I love that!!1 I'm sure if our school had functions they woudl ban it but I think its anti democratic to ban a type of dance that's safe and doing no harm to anyone!
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Activist
Member # 3426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of take issue with the statements some people are making to the effect of "freak dancing is the only way to dance." To me, that has much the same flavor as saying "drinking beer is the only way to party" or "having sex is the only way to keep a boyfriend." Of course it's not the only way to dance, as quite a few people have pointed out.

If that's your thing, though, and the people around you don't mind, then knock yourself out. But do try and show some respect for people who are a little more reserved than you are.

Posts: 107 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ms Hannah Rose
Neophyte
Member # 7490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms Hannah Rose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
--edited > c'mon, that's how i got close to the guy that turned out to be a wonderful boyfriend. it's also a way to make new friends. i mean, who wants to stand around line dancing?

------------------
"We built our church above the street, we practice love between these sheets. The candy sweetness scent of you invades my skin, I'm stained in you..." Darren Hayes

(edited for profanity)

[This message has been edited by kythryne (edited 03-24-2002).]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ms. Rose,

Could you do us a favor and refrain from using profanity here at the boards. Are userbase is geared for 13-and-up year olds, and we try to maintain a PG-13 atmosphere.

Just remember that it's disrespectful to tell someone to, as you so eloquently put it, f*** off, and will not be tolerated here.

I'll ask one of the moderators of this forum to edit your post (or, to make things easier, feel free to do so yourself).

Please consider this a warning, and try and stay within the Guidelines when posting. Thank you.

[Edited for clarity -- thanks, Jill ]
------------------
Tim

"Conversation, like certain other portions of anatomy, works best when lubricated." -- the Marquis de Sade (Quills)

[This message has been edited by Dude_who_writes (edited 03-24-2002).]

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aStRo_GiRL
Neophyte
Member # 7497

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aStRo_GiRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't personally what's wrong with freak dancing. If it's done tastefully it can look really good! I mean Dirty Dancing is one the all time greatest movies in my opinion. I think that everyone should be able to dance anyway they want as long as it dosen't harm other people!
Posts: 6 | From: Zagreb, Cro | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh heh, over here in Chicago its called "juking", and considering where I go to school is pretty dern ghetto (trust me on this, if you've ever seen Save the Last Dance, thats basically my school, hell, you *see* my school in that movie, I won't tell ya' where though), no one even blinks at that kinda thing. Its just whats expected when you show up at the school dances.

Personally, I don't participate in it, though it is kinda humorous to sit down and watch your peers get all nasty with eachother. I think its harmless, mostly because its so funny. I mean, if kids are doing that on the dance floor, they're just expressing themselves, and by banning it you just make it seem all the more attractive to the kids. Simple psychology right there. Whether its banned or not, its the choice of the teens what they do outside of the school and in their bedrooms, so I say let 'em dance!

------------------
"I speak of the truth, the truth of the heart, like a desperate thirst in a raging drought/Hey youth, time flies by, its an everlasting battle for eternal life/I love a man from California, he's the prettiest thing we got the same disorder/The way you feel, its OK, its never gonna change, anyway/It hit me I got everything I need/I got freedom and my youth!" -The Distillers-

"I'm alright, I'm gonna make it, even if I gotta fake it..."
"I'm trying to be someone else today, ohh, I'm fooling everyone but me this way, ohh..."
-Sugarcult-

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.