Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » anyone know latin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anyone know latin?
littleone
Activist
Member # 4571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littleone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i need some help
im trying to think of a new nickname for myself on icq
and if anyone knows how to say
"wingless angel"
or "angel with broken wings"
in latin :)
that would be a big help
thanks much :)

Posts: 83 | From: toronto | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could not find a word for Angel and I am not sure if the Latin I learn (late Republican) has a direct translation for Angel anyway. However, "without wings" will be along the lines of "sine pennis." I suppose you could just use "Angela sine pennis" or you could find someone who knows Latin for Catholic bible studies, where there will most certainly be a word for angles.
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tel'kella
Neophyte
Member # 6109

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tel'kella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! I don't know Latin myself (yet...) but my boyfriend does. He says there isn't really a good way to say "wingless angel," but "angel with broken wings" would be "angelus sine pennis." If you're female, "angelus" should be "angela." Hope this helps

------------------
--Tek

Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know latin, although my native language comes from latin (Portuguese), but just out of curiosity, wingless angel in Portuguese is:

anja sem asas (anja = feminine of angel)
or
anjo sem asas (anjo = masculine of angel)

------------------
~Sallynha
The Beautiful Smile Hides The Troubled Soul

ICQ# 123898306

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littleone
Activist
Member # 4571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littleone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks everyone!
i already changed my nick and i didnt use that idea but its been a big help

Posts: 83 | From: toronto | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know Sally...I've been meaning to tell you how fascinated I am by Portugese for ages now, I've just never got around to it.

I became fluent in Spanish around the time I turned 17, because of the neighborhood I grew up in and the classes I took in high school. When I got to college, I passed the fluency exam easily. Then I met a girl my freshman year (1997) who was studying Portugese, and it completely blew my mind! I remember that many words were similar, or had similar roots, but it was still enough to completely rock me. At the time, I was thinking about taking some Portugese classes, but my grades were terrible back then and I was afraid that if I took a course in Portugese and failed it, that UCLA would kick me out.

But maybe someday soon I'll get around to it...and I'll just pester you with questions.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an A in GCSE latin....and I wouldn't have been able to help you on that. Whoops.
I really adored latin at senior school, because I had an amazing teacher who treated us like human beings (a rare occurence at my school, I can tell you), and we'd spend the summer months sitting in the gardens discussing the finer details of Catullus...ahh, fond memories. Also, the latin department took us to Italy for one of the best trips of my life, and that's always a bonus.
I was gutted when I didn't get an A* (I blame the fact that i stayed up all night before my latin exam watching the general election, but that just proves how tragically boring I am), but I do feel that those lessons did more for my general education than anything else at that awful school. I would have liked to continue it to A-level, but my college doesn't offer it. So now, all my Latin knowledge is seeping out of my brain. But it was a great foundation for learning all other languages (i'm currently trying to teach myself Russian )
Although I don't have much natural talent for languages, I'd love to learn as amny as possible It makes travel so much easier and more rewarding, and I was born to travel. For now though, the only language I have a reasonable level of fluency in is French.
Languages are good. We should all try to learn as many as possible. Alaska and Sallynha put me to shame-their English is better than mine!

[This message has been edited by BJadeT (edited 12-09-2001).]

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was rather frustrated when I only got an A in Latin as well. Its a rather strange thing to actually complain about getting an A but that just goes to show how silly the exam system is! It seems that anything below an A is somehow not up to standard in many school and you ought to get plenty of A*s as well!

Despite this, I am doing Latin AS level and I quite enjoy it in places. I am not so good on the Modern languages unfortunately which are quite a bit more practical.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I completely agree with you Confused Boy-As just aren't good enough! Of course, bo one gives you an ounce of sympathy if you say 'I only got an A'-you're more likely to get smacked in the head with a textbook (how many times did that happen to me at senior school?). I got 5A*s and 4As in total for my GCSEs, but I was hugely resentful of all the As.
I was doing French AS level, and I was enjoying it a lot, but I had to drop down to 2 subjects when I got ill, and it just isn't practical to do French from home. I'll probably start it again next year though.

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.