Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Looking for a Makeup Item (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Looking for a Makeup Item
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just wanted to start a thread for ppl who are looking for a particular cosmetic product in case other folks might know where to find it.

anyone know who makes scented top coat nail polish and where can i find it? the kind of product i am looking for is clear polish that has fragrance when it dries. it was pretty trendy a while back, but now i can't find it.

------------------
A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smell This.

Drugstore.com used to carry it not too long ago.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know who can send me a case of Original Source Lime stuff? (http://www.originalsource.co.uk)?

Okay, that's off-topic. Begging is off-topic, right? Sigh. I bought some lime bath foam when I was on vacation this summer, and it costs so much to order it!

Barring that, anyone know of any good organic-y lime bath bubbles, soap, shampoo with real lime oil that I can buy stateside?

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com.
"Did you see my friend? He couldn't believe it, 'The girls are holding hands, the girls are holding hands!' Don't be a fool, it's 1995, the girls are just friends." --Belle and Sebastian, "Photo Jenny"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cate
Activist
Member # 3634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK i wanna know where i can find some eyeshadow like that really glitterly lol. I want some that stays on for a while. I have heard there is some good stuff at bath and body works but i've been there a few times and can't find it. lol i know glitter is old but i dunno i still like it lol.

------------------
Cate!
Scarleteen Activist

*Mean People Suck*
*I wasn't kissing him, I was just telling his lips a secret*

IM:PuMpKiNpie489

Posts: 87 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Cate, it's kinda pricey but Hard Candy has some amazingly wonderful glittery eyeshadow pencils.

Usually you can find 'em at better department stores (Marshall Field's, Neiman Marcus, that sort of thing) or I think maybe at Sephora.com.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com.
"Did you see my friend? He couldn't believe it, 'The girls are holding hands, the girls are holding hands!' Don't be a fool, it's 1995, the girls are just friends." --Belle and Sebastian, "Photo Jenny"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i thought Body Shop had some limey stuff.

urban decay and benefit are two cosmetic lines that have great glittery stuff. i have benefit's "kitten glitter powder puff." tres chic.

------------------
A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ninaBruja
Neophyte
Member # 5622

Icon 2 posted      Profile for ninaBruja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
does anybody know of any really nice black/dark brown mascara that makes your eyes POP and doesn't run or crumble?

------------------
i was thinking that i might fly today
just to disprove all the things that you say

Posts: 27 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know a good hair style for homecoming?

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use estee lauder's pure velvet. in black (with brown eyeliner, also estee lauder). you can find this brand practically in any department store, just ask the person at the counter to try some on you.

------------------
Living proof that it's hip to be square .

smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lemming,

I know they sell Original Source Mint & Orange here, but I'm not sure about lime. I could check if you'd like.

Also, a little off topic but I'm trying to decide what to go as for my friends halloween party. Right now I'm thinking a zombie chick (my mums sewing me a shroud/nightie thingy) or a tombstone, bu I'm not sure on either. I even raided the costume books at the library! (and I'm on a tight budget)

Makeup on!

Hugs & Scully,
Winnie :0)

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as mascara goes, I really, really like Rimmel Extra Super Lash. Definitely the best mascara I've used - not too wet or dry, even coverage, and no clumps. Even better? It costs around $3. You can get it at walmart, who is the exclusive US retailer of the British Rimmel Line.
Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glitter,

what does your dress look like? what is the "feel" of it (is it sleek and modern, soft and drapey, etc.)

Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nocturnal Kitten
Activist
Member # 5316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nocturnal Kitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know of a brand of bubble bath that gets really foamy and stays foamy for more than two minutes?

------------------
It took so long to remember just what happened.
I was so young and vestal then.

Posts: 50 | From: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lemming, Body@Best makes lime shower gel and foaming shower gel (like shaving cream, almost, it's fun stuff) and some other nice scents too, like an orange which is q1uite like the Body Shop's Satsuma fragrance. I've never had the other stuff, but the BB products have a decent scent, are reasonably priced, and I've found them at Zellers, and similar shops. Not sure if it's in the 'States, but take a look, and if you can't find any, drop me a line.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, i use Estee Lauder lipstick, and it doesn't last more than 20 minutes, 10 if i'm drinking a glass of water.

Any suggestions for a good long lasting lipstick? btw, i'm a cosmetic snob ('cause i only buy the stuff once every three years, i can afford to splurge), and only buy stuff from chic lines (no Revlon or Cover Girl for me).

------------------
Living proof that it's hip to be square .

Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I can't help you on brands, but I can tell you some tips that I heard from a make-up artist.

Lipsticks that don't have any gloss will last longer.

If you still want the gloss, apply over the lipstick itself. It will stay longer, but the no-gloss thing is the one that lasts longer.

There are really lipstick that are supposed to last a lot (they have names like long durantion or something like that), those usually have different formulas or whatever, that are supposed to help them stay on.

If you apply moisturiser on your face and apply it on your lips too, before you do apply the lipstick, it's supposed to help the lipstick stay longer too (not sure of the reason, but maybe something like the lips will be moisty and won't need to absorb the lipstick more (?)).

That make-up artist also said that if you outline your lips with a pencil first, or not even needing to outline, you just fill the inside too with the pencil's colour, and apply the lipstick over it - that also is supposed to help it stay.

As to whether these tips will work for everyone, I can't say. I don't even wear lipstick myself hehe (just bodyshop's lip balm), but anyways, worth trying

Hope I was of some help

------------------
~Sallynha
The Beautiful Smile Hides The Troubled Soul

ICQ# 123898306

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gummy,

Theres some new lippie coming out here (I think it's Max Factor) that only comes off with actual makeup remover! I'll check and catch up with you.

Hugs & Scully,
Winnie :0)

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Gummy,

A few tips for lasting lipcolor:

Apply lipliner, and then gently "fill in" the lips with liner, too.

Apply lipstick with a lipbrush, and it will last far, far longer. blot well, and then re-apply.

Max factor and covergirl both have great lasting lipcolor. Lipfinity, and outlast, respectively. those were the ones winnie was talking about.

And, don't be too hung up on brand names - I'm a cosmetics reviewer (at cosmeticconnection.com and sudsreport.com) and i know that most of the brands, both dept store and drugstore, are made by the same companies. For example, Cosmair makes L'oreal and Lancome, and many of their products are indistinguishable for one another. They are wonderful brands out there that cost a fraction of what the dept store brands do, and they are far better formulas.

[This message has been edited by Lisa D (edited 11-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Lisa D (edited 11-15-2001).]

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Max Factors Lipfinity. That stuff is...unbelievable. Seriously. Not like any other long last lipstick I ever owned before.

Otherwise, I think the "Matte" Lipsticks from MAC are awesome in both colour and nice thick firm tecture, and when applied the way Lisa described, last hours and hours. I only own some of the darker shades though, so maybe the last is also due to the killer colour, don't know.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ninaBruja,

I LOVE Maybelline WonderCurl mascara in dark brown.. it's lovely! It makes your lashes longer (way longer) and doesn't clump. Very nice!

------------------
Don't Mess with Texas

"Only in America, where we can dream as big as we want to."
-Brooks and Dunn

Life is not fair, a fair is a place you show cows

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put on some of the Covergirl Outlast for my niece's baptism, and my lips were *still* cherry-red 24 hours later. Great stuff.
Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littleone
Activist
Member # 4571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littleone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
kay i figured out what the lip gloss is called (i stupidly posted it in a seperate thread cuz i didnt notice this one)
so
anyone know where to find "naturistics sweet lips"
its like this little toothpaste tube but its lip gloss

Posts: 83 | From: toronto | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought some of that Naturistics at Target in 1998 or '99. I was a senior, anyway. I haven't been able to find it since -- a shame too, because it is The Perfect Lipgloss.
Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't Wal-Mart still have that lip stuff?
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's this new Clean and Clear blemish stick. It works as a pimple cover up and "fights pimples at the same time." It's in a little blue tube. Does anyone know what it's called?

Also, does anyone know of a good, red nail polish? I have some Old Navy red nailpolish and it doesn't stay on for but a few days. Is there any that has a bright, pretty red color and not too expensive?

------------------
"Never take back your emotions. It's what you were feeling at that moment." -Leelee Sobieski

greenjay blog

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Daydreamer -- you're looking for Clean and Clear Concealing Treatment Stick. You should be able to find it just about anywhere (Clean and Clear products seem to be everywhere around here - Wal-Mart, Target, etc) and you can read more about it at http://www.cleanandclear.com
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for a red nail glaze. Chanel made two that I really liked--one was a deep red and the other was a lighter, more pink based shade, but I never bought them. I want a red glaze that is not so transparent as a wussy pink tinted top coat, but a glaze that is just a bit transparent. I've been searching, but no luck!

------------------
Ash
Scarleteen Advocate

"Calm. Yes. Calm. Calm. Calm! Calm!! CALM!!"
--Ash, while attempting to work instead of bouncing off the walls.

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

I wouldn't call it a makeup item, but I didn't want to start a new thread all for this lil old post

Anyone know where to find a tongue scraper? Walgreens, Eckerds, maybe?

------------------
"Never take back your emotions. It's what you were feeling at that moment." -Leelee Sobieski

greenjay blog

Don't Mess With Texas

cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
to go WAY back.....
up here in Ottawa we have that smelly nail polish stuff
and they sell it at pharma and shopper's. don' quite remember the name tho... i just checked my two bottles, and apparentl i ripped off the labels. sorry.

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OoMEoO
Activist
Member # 6026

Icon 6 posted      Profile for OoMEoO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a HUGE make-up fan....I spend all my money on MAC and BeneFit makeup....I recommend BeneFit to everyone (www.benefitcosmetics.com) ALL of their products work SOOOO good. But I came here to tell everyone who is looking for the perfect lipgloss that MAC lipglass works the BEST! It's really really shiny and glossy and stays on me for a while. They are $12.50 each. But if you don't want to pay a lot for that, I also use Lip Smackers Lipgloss....it comes in a wand-type bottle thing and is realllllly glossy as well. It works really good and its like $3...I love it
Posts: 118 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

about the tongue scraper. the ADA(american Dental Association) doesn't endorse their use and neither do I. It's probably only $2, but really, it's still a waste of bus fare. You can get your tongue just as clean if not cleaner by brushing it with a wet toothbrush.

as for Benefit cosmetics, I gotta say I give them a big thumbs up! great lipsticks and glitter. you can find them in Macy's dept. stres.

------------------
srm? wtf? iyhta ... rtfm!

Kite
Activist
Member # 5957

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So this isn't exactly makeup, but does anyone know of a good brand of fragrance-free lotions and moisturizers? I used to go with Clinique products and I love them, but they are way too expensive for me right now.
Posts: 127 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Kite, if Clinique is too much, this is probably right around their range, but here you go anyway: http://www.kiehls.com . The best stuff in the whole world, I swear.

And if anyone wants to tell me where to get me a tube of BONNE BELL LIP SMACKERS: CINNAMON SUGAR, I would appreciate it. I've been looking all over for this flavor.

Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
L’Oreal Plentitude Active Daily Moisturizer and Pond’s Nourishing Moisturizer were highly rated by Consumer Reports, I don't know if they have fragrance or not. If you have access to eBay, you can get super deals on cosmetic items there.

lemming: next time I go to my drugstore, I'll look for Cinnamon Sugar for you. But have you ever tried Mad Gab's cinnamon lip lube?

------------------
Ash
Scarleteen Advocate

"If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming."
--Goethe

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

ahh, another LipSmackers fiend *glosses on Strawberry Kiwi Comet*

Let me add to that, I'm looking for LipSmackers Tropical Punch (stick of lip balm). I've searched three counties for it to no avail!

------------------
straddle the fine line between profundity and profanity...

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.