Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » National Coming Out Day

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: National Coming Out Day
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On thursday October 11, it's national coming out day. I didn't know this until tonight, and was sort of surprised to have never even heard anything about this.

I was wondering if anyone's community's or schools are doing anything thing to publicise this?

------------------
"where'ths my mommy?"
-Shawna

Akimsa (non-violence)

~Erin~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna read a poem at Morning Meeting, but no, the school isn't really doing anything. It's kind of a bummer.
Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
velocette
Activist
Member # 3877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for velocette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found out about National Coming Out Day a little too late (4 or 5 days, to be exact) to celebrate it. But in a subconcious way, I did celebrate it. On October 11th, I went up to my counselors office to tell her that I wanted to join our school's GLBTQ support group. It was my first real "outing" to anyone but my close friends.

What a coinky-dink!

------------------
You're So Disco! : My Online Diary

Posts: 81 | From: Hayward, California, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ninaBruja
Neophyte
Member # 5622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninaBruja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, that's cool!
i knew oct. 11 was coming out day because i read it in teen people but did i do anything? NO!!! *laughs*

------------------
i was thinking that i might fly today
just to disprove all the things that you say

Posts: 27 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I didn't know I started this!

It's been a year and guess what? I'm part of program that's strongly supporting this and we're having a day of silence as well.

We're having a lot of positive feedback with this little projoct.

What do you guys think about this? Is your school or community doing anything for this day?

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, my school is. We have a pretty large GSA, which is awesome. A lot of the members graduated last year so now it's a bunch of freshmen who are...well, farsighted.

They planned to dress all "gay" and fun stuff like that, which is all great. But my problem is that I see advertising one's gayness/support is unnecessary. The way I see it is that since it's more socially acceptable to be gay now, doing something like that seems extremist. Plus, you're gay all the time, not just one day. You could pick any day to flaunt it.

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melimelo
Activist
Member # 7361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melimelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
m... today they had a table and posters about homosexuality near the cafeteria. and when i walked there later, it had metamorphed in a use-condoms table. i don't know if they are doing something tomorrow. the only thing is, tomorrow i don't have a class and i'm not curious enough to go to school just to see that.

also, my school is supposed to have a GSA. they mention it on the website, but there is no way to find where their local is or what they do.

Posts: 81 | From: north america | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunset_Rose
Activist
Member # 10181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunset_Rose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didnt even know!

I think its awful that my school doesnt even have a GLBT group or any kind of facility!
There was NOTHING. No leaflets, nothing, and we NEVER cover it in PSHE (personal, social and health ed.) It really annoys me.

Thanx 4 the info!

Posts: 123 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackRoseFaery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AT my school, we don't have anything either. Partially, I think it's b/c my town is so small and conservative. It's downright dangerous to be out in my school. My friend was the only one out last year ( that I heard anyway) and the jocks slammed him against the lockers. And called him faggot daily if not everytime they saw him.
Posts: 88 | From: Hixson, TN, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I didn't know there was a national coming out day!! It's really sad that it isn't safe for some people to come out - I think those people at school who terrorise others should be educated, but there are plenty of adults with homophobic views, too god dammit! I won't start ranting about how I feel about narrow minded, ignorant people, but to anyone who came out on October 11th - or any other day for that matter - good luck and good on you!!!
*Badger*

------------------
"Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever... thy will be done (munch munch munch.)" -Homer Simpson

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scorpio
Activist
Member # 4154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scorpio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My School gave everyone little upside down, pink triangles to wear. I didn't know it was National Coming Out day until i was given my triangle. I thought it was cool that our community was so accepting of it and no one gave a second thought to this being unusual. It made me feel good to be apart of my school.
Posts: 83 | From: Seattle, Washington | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.