Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Not Fitting In

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not Fitting In
Cate
Activist
Member # 3634

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Cate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just moved from Dallas to Connecticut. After leaving my close-knit family of friends, I nervously started my life at a new school, town and friends. When I first got here I was very shy (totally not me) since i didn't know anyone. After meeting a new girl who reminds me of one of my best friends back in Texas, I started acting more like my normal self. (weird and loud with a strange sense of humor) After I thought I was fitting in well, I was informed that a lot of ppl don't like me here cuz "im annoying is a bad way." That really hurt me, Im not used to ppl not liking me being me. I started to cry and called up a bunch of my old friends, they all offered to move up here. LOL Well I'll stop before I get anymore confusing, but I really don't know what to do. I didn't really notice i was being "annoying" and i don't think i can ever be myself anymore around these people! HELP!!

------------------
Cate!
Scarleteen Activist

*Mean People Suck*

Posts: 87 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're probably just not used to people like you. Within cities, even big cities, you can usually find common personality traits. You just got to give them a chance to get used to you. You can only feel bad about yourself if you let yourself. Keep your chin up, you'll find your place, I promise

Brittany

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Cate, I'm sorry to hear about all that mess. But the good news is that it is still early, and things are still very fluid. I never took much stock in people who took it upon themselves to tell you "you aren't well liked", because I would have to question their motives. Jealousy seems to come to mind right off the bat.

The truth of the matter is that there are tons of people out there. While you may feel lonely right now, think of all the people you have not yet met at your school. There are lots of possibilities out there, people you may not have any classes with or people you may not have recognized yet. I would say to give it a little time and explore outside the friends you have already made.

For me, I have noticed that sometimes the first friends I make aren't the ones I stick with forever. Almost like I am "feeling out" the situation before diving in and investing my emotions in someone. And like you, I start off as far more reserved than the obnoxious rascal that I am in reality. So that is fairly common as well...and when you meet someone who shares you sense of humor (which you will, my dear) in good time, you'll be right back to the Cate we know and love.

Take care of yourself and good luck out there.

------------------
"Verdugo, Engine 14; you can cancel all units responding to this structure fire...this is just a dishwasher gone bad."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cate
Activist
Member # 3634

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Cate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks u guys! U made my day today. Today was better! YEA!! Met a few more ppl, a girl today gave me her number and was like we gotta hang out sometime! Im happy. And I got to talk to my friend who I haven't talked to in a long time! Thanks again!

------------------
Cate!
Scarleteen Activist

*Mean People Suck*

Posts: 87 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee
Activist
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are people in this world who will sense when someone is vulnerable and attempt to hurt them. If ONE person is telling you this, consider the source. I've been told all kinds of things that "everyone" thought about me only to find that they were either made up or the opinion of one or two people.

Not everyone is going to like you, no matter what you do. Life is not a popularity contest. Truth always matters, but opinions matter only as much as the people who hold them matter. So please, don't go losing sleep over the opinions of people who don't matter.

Another thing you have to understand is that the culture of the south and southwest are different from that of the northeast. Where the south tends to be nutty in a religious way, the northeast tends to be nutty in a neurotic way. I'm sure there are good things about both as well. You're in strange waters and you've got to learn how to swim again to some extent.

Lee

Posts: 175 | From: Tempe, AZ USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.