Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » National Crisis Prayer/Meditation (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: National Crisis Prayer/Meditation
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you may likely know, we are currently in the midst of a U.S. and potentially worldwide crisis.

Given that, and in the spirit of community consciousness, if you would like to post any meditations, chants, spells, prayers or thoughts of peace and protection, please feel free to do so here.

And please take care of yourselves and others today as best you can.

LAMA LA KYAP SU CHI WO
SANGEY LA KYAP SU CHI WO
CH… LA KYAP SU CHI WO
GEND†N LA KYAP SU CHI WO

Om mani padme hum

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would just like to say my thoughts are with everybody right now even though I am milions of miles away.

I'm sorry I cannot do any more. *hugs*

God Bless.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never felt like this before...this is without a doubt the most incrediblly horrific thing I have ever seen in my life. And I still don't know where my Uncle, who worked in the World Trade Center, is.

God help us all.

------------------
"Verdugo, Engine 14; you can cancel all units responding to this structure fire...this is just a dishwasher gone bad."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May god stand between you and harm, in all the dark places you must walk.

-Ancient Egyptian Proverb

Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never been so scared before. This isn't supposed to happen...it just isn't.

May God be with all of us.

~KittenGoddess

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just realised that we don't know where my partner's foster-brother is either . . . I don't know what to do . . . love, make positive things, make energy that way, I guess. I'm listening to gentle, beautiful music by someone who died violently, and wondering about the meaning of that.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My heart goes out to all who are suffering. As soon as i woke up this morning my mom told me, and when i watched the second building go down i couldn't help but cry.

My prayers are with everyone who needs them now.

Akimsa (non-violence)

Hope is what we all need at a time such as this.

~Erin~

------------------
...Everybody knows what a store-bought sweater looks like. But man, when you see a home-knitter on the street, it's obvoius, you know?"
-Hawksley Workman

------------------------
"You already know at least 4 women who've been raped...and you don't even know it."

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought these lyrics were fitting, and i just wanted to add, that i hope everyone will remember them.

Smiley little baby snuggles in her mommy's arms
pray you'll always keep your daughter safe and free from harm
i wish that everyone lived in a happy place
sunshine and bright eyes on everybody's face

it's not about me, it's not about you,
it's not about them or what they do,
it's not about pride,
it's about we must all understand,
VIOLENCE LIES
it's not about me, it's not about you
it's about LIFE

Apathy kills anger, and this is what you choose
there's always gonna be somebody who will lose
didja ever stop and think about the world as is
life's about living, can't believe it's come to this

it's not about you, it's not about me,
it's not about them and what they do
it's not about pride,
it's about we must all understand
VIOLENCE LIES

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Memoriam, XI
by Alfred Lord Tennyson

Calm is the morn without a sound,
Calm as to suit a calmer grief,
And only thro' the faded leaf
The chestnut pattering to the ground:

Calm and deep peace on this high wold,
And on these dews that drench the furze,
And all the silvery gossamers
That twinkle into green and gold:

Calm and still light on yon great plain
That sweeps with all its autumn bowers,
And crowded farms and lessening towers,
To mingle with the bounding main:

Calm and deep peace in this wide air,
These leaves that redden to the fall;
And in my heart, if calm at all,
If any calm, a calm despair.

Calm on the seas and silver sleep,
And waves that sway themselves in rest,
And dead calm in that noble breast
Which heaves but with the heaving deep.

That's what it's like here in Sydney at the moment- you go outside and it's as peaceful as you could imagine. . . but it's not.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would just like to tell you how scared and confused I am about all this. It was about 2pm here when I'd just had lunch and was watching TV, and suddenly comes a news flash saying a plane had crashed on the WTC... a few minutes later there was another one. No one knew what was going on, and confused reporters and journalists tried to explain what they didn't know either. When I first heard the news I froze, and as they got worse and worse I had tears in my eyes that came out when I saw the towers collapsing.

I have been feeling like I am in the middle of a movie, a book, or a nightmare, because this doesn't certainly look like reality to me. And I'm not even American, I don't have family there, and the only link I might have with the US is being part of the same planet.

I was in NY a couple of years ago, and I was at the top of the Twin Towers, and today my sister picked some photos and hung them on her bedroom walls. We look at these photos thinking how that belongs to the past and maybe this was the 1st time that I felt how big the world is and how these things really do happen and are not only chapters in History books.

My hands are shaking as I write this, and I know this was supposed to be for Prayer and Meditation, but I couldn't help myself and I had to write something that somehow would make my feelings come out.

I just hope everyone from Scarleteen is ok, as I know there are people from NYC here, and take care of yourselves and lets hope this won't go on for long...

Peace.

------------------
~Sallynha
The Beautiful Smile Hides The Troubled Soul

ICQ# 123898306

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reality hasn't really sunk in for me yet. I see the pictures and hear the news but it is horrifically unbelievable. We have to remember that eventually human spirit will prevail and we will get through this together, as a nation and a world.

I pray that eveyone here is safe, and my prayers go out to the families of those killed and injured. If we all ban together we can overcome this.

Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone heard from Yalith (Poetgirl) today?

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sapphire85
Activist
Member # 2709

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Sapphire85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live very close to the World Trade Center, and unfortunately, today was a day of great sadness, for this entire country, myself, and those around me. A good deal of my friends' parents work in the WTC and it was absolutely horrific to see everybody panicking trying to get in touch with their relatives and friends... it was even worsse when they couldn't make contact. My thoughts and prayers are entirely with anybody effected by these events, and I hope that an end will come to this senseless violence.

------------------
"Do what you will, always..
Walk where you like, your steps...
Do as you please,
I'll back you up.." ~DMB

Posts: 121 | From: Some random suburb.. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Danny called her cellphone earlier- she didn't answer, but it did ring, and he left a message. The fact that it rang is a good sign- apparently she is never separated from that phone under normal circumstances, and if she had been near/in the WTC, I'd guess that her phone would have gone with her. Meanwhile, it's quite plausible that the shock and bedlam could have made her leave her phone behind. I'm guessing and hoping that she's safe- my fingers are crossed for her.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so numb. So heartbroken.Terrorist acts are taking place 20 minutes from my home. School was beyond chaotic today, consoling friends whose family members work in the world trade center area.

Right now I can't even understand the exact depth of the meaning of what has happened. No doubt people I may know were injured or killed today. It's kind of a blurry image until everything is really determined, names are spoken.

What in the world could make this worth it? This is inexplicable. This has profoundly changed my life.

I wanted to go to the hospital to donate blood, but I heard on the news that they are caring for people from the bombing over in my area as well, and the buildings are closed to the public as of today. If you're able, please, here's your chance to do a noble thing.

I have all the sympathy in the world towards the people whose lives and loved ones lives were lost. Nobody deserved this. Let's do whatever we can to console these unfortunate people.

I'm sorry that this had to be my first post on the return of Scarleteen. I'm glad that we can have eachothers support, no matter how small it may seem though. Best Wishes to you all.

------------------
"I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal"
~Incubus

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just wanted to check in and see if everyone is okay. you're all in my thoughts. God be with you (this coming from an atheist -- well, it certainly can't hurt). Spend quality time with loved ones tonight. *hugs*

------------------
A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I actually want to put a small plea in right now, simply because when we're hurting, it's sometimes easier to see things clearly and get motivated to change them.

Statements in the news that this was unrivaled to anything else in history because of an attack on civililans is simply patently untrue, and truly disrespectful. I know it hurts, and it is terrible, and it is horrible, but when we get honest, we need to look at our history and realize that America as a nation has done very similar things TO other groups of civilians before en masse: to the native americans in this country when we settled, in other wars, at Nagasaki, in Vietnam in the persian Gulf.

It's hard as hell to acknowledge responsibility at times like these, but I think it's really impirtant, especially when people start crying out for blood, since all that does is further these types of cycles more.

So, I suppose what I'm trying to do is to urge you through your fear and pain to look at the big picture and get active with things like this in terms of peace in the future.

End lecture.

Lilnerd and Sapphire, I am very glad you are both okay.

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wrote a whole bunch about it in my blog, as has BruinDan. I was completely shocked when he told me the news this morning. Who would do this kind of thing, I have no idea. My heart goes out to everyone who worked in the buildings, and everyone around it. I would say a prayer, but I'm Jewish and I can barely remember how to speak Hebrew, let along type it.

::Moment of silence::

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

"She's 14 and might be pregnant?! When I was 14 I wanted to be a 'Cowboy Astronaut'!"
-Loveline

The All-New Only In Dreams Blog!

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
?¿?Butte®CupBãby?¿?
Neophyte
Member # 4347

Icon 9 posted      Profile for ?¿?Butte®CupBãby?¿?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so scared right now. I see have been watching the news like all day. This is just so unbelievable. I never expect anything like this to happen here. This is the type of thing to cause World War III. I feel so bad for all of the families that lost loved ones throughout this whole ordeal. I know that the United States aren't really the most loved country. I know that from my history class. We have done some really bad things to other countries, but they should not do that. There is really no reason. All I have to say, is may God be with all of us through these terrible times.
Posts: 19 | From: Minnesota, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yalith just ICQ'ed me!
S'alright.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone. I'm alive. Just posting that now and I'll be back in a minute with a longer post.

------------------
*Limes Are Sublime*

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't even know what to say. I was in school this morning, within walking distance from the WTC, when it happened. I was very afraid for my mother because I knew she was going to be flying this morning, and I was convinced for a few hours that she was on one of those planes. I'm still very much in shock. My best friend has a friend from school who is probably dead now. She had an internship at the WTC, and no one has heard from her. I've just been busy calling everyone I know to make sure they're alive. I can't believe Bush is talking about retaliation now . . . as if killing more people will help anything. I hate violence so much. One of my close friends from school is Iranian, and she's suddenly become a target of violence aimed at all middle-eastern looking people. A kid actually threw a bottle at her on her way home. It's so scary. I can't stand that the US is so surprised when something like this happens. This country has been killing innocent people en masse since it started, and then when someone else does it, all of a sudden, it becomes a problem. I hate the idea some people have that an American's life is more important than the life of someone in Palestine or Japan. I mean, people are people, borders are meaningless. I just wish everyone could get along, or at least just yell at each other when they're angry instead of killing each other.

------------------
*Limes Are Sublime*

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't really say that I'm surprised that this happened (well, except for the fact that the WTC got bombed -- I didn't expect it to be the target of another terrorist attack). Still, it's horrible. Being on one of those planes must have been unimaginably awful.

I must admit that I'm angered by some of the reactions I've seen. People die every day, sometimes horribly, and the vast majority of Americans don't care because they don't know the people who die. And then something like this happens and a number of those previously apathetic people suddenly start caring about people they never knew. American lives aren't worth more than others, and it angers me that some people are acting like they are.

Mostly, though, I'm worried. Does the government really think that retaliation is going to make this any better? Showing how big and bad America is will likely just make the terrorists more dedicated to their cause, as their problem with America quite possibly centered on its power and alleged oppressiveness. And that's the last thing anybody needs, particularly since we live in an age of nuclear weapons. (The bias that will probably spring up against people of Middle Eastern descent has me worried, too, but that's in more of a detached way -- much as I'd like to say otherwise, evils that affect me directly do garner a much larger emotional reaction than evils that don't.)

[This message has been edited by Lynne (edited 09-11-2001).]

Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girly2499
Activist
Member # 4188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girly2499     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PoetGirl- I am so sorry! I hope everyone you know is okay. This is probably hitting you a lot harder than me since I live half way across the country and people here are taking it bad. I'm hoping everything can be done to save as many more people as possible.

*silent*

Posts: 87 | From: nebraska, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There absolutely isn't anything that I can say here to express what I'm feeling. Many of you have already done it better than I. I agree with those who have said above that this type of thing does happen all the time, that America has done this to many other countries, that people are dying and hurt every day. But this is something that's unlike what most of us have ever lived through. Some of us didn't think this could happen in our country. Some of us didn't think something of this magnitude could happen at all. It's just impossible, implausible, and yet, it's happened and it's here and our friends and family are mired in it and now we have to deal with it.

It has changed my life, as of today. I've never felt like this before. I've never felt so lucky to still be alive, and so very, very sad for those who lost their lives today.

I'm calling on everyone who writes an online journal or diary to update; I wish that everyone who read one could see how this has affected all of us. I have noticed many websites place this news foremost on their pages, and some pop-under advertisers replace ads with pleas for blood donations and mirrors of news sites.

This affects everyone, everywhere, and it could soon directly affect many more people - especially if we do lash out with violence against this violent outburst. I don't see this ending in a plea for peace, much as I would agree with that; I see much more bloodshed, and I tremble for my country as well as for the world.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com.
"Aiyiyi, I'm your little butterfly/Green, black, and blue make the colors in the sky..." --Smile.DK, "Butterfly"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is such really crazy what is going on, I dont even understand why people would do this. Every time I watch what happens it gives me chills all over again, and its like a saw it for the first time.

All we did in school yesterday was watch what was going on. All things were cancelled for school.

My heart goes out to every family and person invovled in this. God Bless EVERYONE.

My dad works for the FAA so he is really upset about what is going on.

Everyone is in this together. Help anyway you can. Donate Blood!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing, they were talking about bombing Niagara Falls, and I live right by there. Im scared about that. They reason they would want to bomb that it because the power plants. That Power plant supplys power to the whole Northeastern part of the country.

My dad says if a nuclear bomb hit Niagara Falls that we and everyone around it (That would be all my friends and family) would die. My dad says he doesnt think that would happen with that sort of bomb, but it is possible. I dont know what to think, I am really scared!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

[This message has been edited by glitter695 (edited 09-12-2001).]

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'rin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my mom lives in niagara falls, too. she said that they've been blocking off all road access to the power plant. there really isn't much chance of accessing it via water (only in a really bad movie would a terrorist take a bomb through the niagara rapids)and niagara falls has always had an air base, so there's air support, probably flying in a defensive pattern alreay. at least that's what my mom told me when i called her and suggested she go visit relatives we've got who live out in the middle of nowhere in kentucky. all any of us can do is hope and pray to diety we pray to that there will be no more attacks, and give blood and otherwise help out with the victims and their families.
'rin
ps - ok, have we heard from everyone *here* who's from the new york area now?

Posts: 219 | From: lost in yonkers | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am "glad" everyone here from the NY are is ok...

Today I wooke up and thought "this must be over" ... then reading the news on the net (I can't bear watching tv now coz they're always repeating the same video of the same people jumping off the windows of the towers etc )... and so much has happened...

Violence throughout the world... even here in Portugal, I'd think nothing would happen *here*, but lots of bomb threats to important buildings and people, the airports are with maximum security measures... if it seemed to be out of reality... now it really has to be...

And when I heard President Bush was talking about retaliation, I was so shocked... my mum said "it has to be", but I don't understand... "why?" ... for me it would be enough if they just found out who did all this and punished those and only those people, otherwise I think we will be talking about a 3rd world war

I just can't understand the world anymore and I am very scared about all this...

------------------
~Sallynha
The Beautiful Smile Hides The Troubled Soul

ICQ# 123898306

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thousands of miles from the USA, have never visited, have no friends there and still feel numb inside. It's horrible, so so horrible.
And I totally agree with you Miz S. What has made me saddest today, apart from the obivious tragedy, is the hatred it has inspired in people. It chills me to the bone when I hear people my age talking about revenge and killing as many Palestinians as they can, especially when they don't even have the facts.
We are all people, we all live on the same earth-why do we all have to see things so differently?
I don't pray, I'm not spiritual but my entire heart goes out to anyone who was affected, by this or by any other attack, whoever did it.

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh people, I am so happy that those of you who are from NY are ok.

Poetgirl, my first thought seeing the WTC in flames at around 3pm German time yesterday was of you. I tried to remember where you lived and was sick to my stomach wondering whether you are ok.

I am beyond words today. I am a few thousands miles away from NY; have never been there, yet this touches me deeply, as it does everyone that I have seen on the streets or on TV here in Germany yesterday and today. Zapping my way through my TV channels yesterday afternoon, I saw the World Trade Center after it was hit by the first plane. It was all bizarre and I really didn't realize where this was at first, didn't realize what had happended - it was all way too similar to a crappy action movie or bad novel, I don't know. Over the course of the afternoon, I found myself sitting in front of the TV being sick by the pictures of the second plane crashing into the WTC, by the people jumping out, by just imagining what must have been happening inside the building. I was also sick by lots of what I heard on TV from politicians, by the pictures from the occupied territories of celebrating palestinians (simply because I DO NOT believe that the Palestinian people are happy about what happened here, those celebrating people were a minority, and an insane one, too). On the other hand, I was impressed by the rescue workers, the doctors and nurses coming in to help, the firemen and women, the policemen, the everyday New Yorkers queing to donate blood.

I am beyond words, as many people seem to be these days. The scenes here on the streets are eerie - last night, the local paper was handing out extra papers for free, informing people in the pedestrian preceinct about what had happened, many hadn't heard it yet.

In any way, I hope the US government and law enforcement will not rush to judgement and will not run to retaliatory air strikes too quickly. I heard someone on CNN yesterday saying that this was like Pearl Harbour and should be answered like Pearl Harbour - and while I agree that something has to be done, the idea of a nuclear war between the Western Nations (NATO just told the US that they will support no matter what) and possibly Afghanistan and Irak just scares me. Completely.

My thoughts go out to all of you these days. May the religious beliefs that you have offer you some sort of comfort in these trying times, and may whatever higher beings there are bring clarity to the people who make the political decisions that decide about the fate of the US and the world these days.

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would just like to say that everyone is in my prayers and I hope everyones family's is alright.

Kelly

Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morphos
Neophyte
Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morphos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God Bless all the people who have died and all who are working to prevent more deaths. May God have mercy on whoever did this.
Posts: 37 | From: Massachussetts/Rhode Island | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 9 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i live in dayton ohio and we have our downtown streets blocked off that are near the federal building. our schools were let out and of course the air force base and the airport are very secured. two jets took off from wright patterson airforce base last night and scared everyone around here because of the sonic boom. we were so close it shook our house. i really feel sorry for this whole counrty because of everything that has happened. it is a horrible thing.
Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 5 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and another thing i dont think that the people in afganistan or wherever should be celebrating. we wouldnt celebrate if this happened to them. it is really horrible that they would condone the violence and the killing of all of those innocent people.
Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.