Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » What songs make you cry? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What songs make you cry?
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since we have a "What movies make you cry?" thread, and a "What songs make you nostalgic?" thread, I figured I'd make one like this. Anyway, some of mine are:

"Girlfriend in a Coma" - The Smiths. Danny used to play that song a lot, and even though I loved the song itself, it was a little depressing.

"Last Kiss" - Pearl Jam. This is kind of corny, but when I listened to the lyrics, I just started crying! Maybe I'm just overly sentimental, but I couldn't stop.

Now what are yours?

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

"To the beemobile!"
"You mean your Chevy?"
"Yes."

The All-New Only In Dreams Blog!

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ooh. the other night i got in such a fight with the boy, and then there was some special on VH1 called "tearjerkers" or something. i was crying so hard.

no doubt "don't speak." i know it's cliche, but damnit it makes me cry. i think it's about gwen and the bassist breaking up, and they wrote it together or something? it's a sweet song.

guns and roses "november rain." i find this song very impressive. he just has so much to say. it goes on for like 8 minutes without even really having a chorus. and it makes me cry.-( "and it's hard to hold a candle in the cold november rain."

guster "demon." for some reason i find this song very sexy, but at the same time very sad. "honest is easy, fiction is where genius lies."

i like this thread mucho,

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tori Amos, "china", Annie Lennox, "Why" and "Cold," and Dar Williams, "if i wrote you" all remind me of horrible times with the TOCTOX and I"ve cried during all of them.

Kenny Loggins' "Back to Pooh Corner", Dar Williams' "Are You Out There" and "My Friends" make me cry because of stupid college memories.

Boy, Dar Williams makes me cry a lot, cause I cry at "What Do YOu Hear in These Sounds," too. Good thing i like her.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucina
Activist
Member # 3792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'i really should've gone out last night' by dirty three. the most aching song in existence.

'leave me be' by the zombies. poor colin blunstone sounds like he's going to burst out bawling any second!

Posts: 61 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justagirl04
Activist
Member # 3824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justagirl04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NSync- "This I Promise You"
NSync- "God Must Have Spent.."
Vince Gill- "Go Rest High on That Mountain"
Mandy Moore- "When I Talk to You"
Mandy Moore- "Your Face"
Creed- "What's This Life For"
Creed- "Torn"
Creed- "Inside Us All"
Creed- "Wash Away Those Years"
Creed- "Faceless Man"
Lifehouse- "Everything"
Stevie Ray Vaughan- "Life By the Drop"
Lynrd Skynrd- "Freebird"
A Perfect Circle- "3 Libras"
R Kelly- "If I Could Turn Back the Hands of Time"
Vast- "I Don't Have Anything"

Now I'm sure I've forgotten some, but here's some songs that make me cry! I'm a very emotional person...

------------------
So let's go there
Let's make our escape
Come on, let's go there
Let's ask can we stay?

Can you take me higher?
To the place where blind men see
Can you take me higher?
To the place with golden streets

~*SHaNNa*~

Posts: 318 | From: Oklahoma USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul McCartney's Calico Skies and Little Willow, but especially the first one. I usually can't stand his post-Beatle music, and music doesn't usually make me cry, but these ones really get to me. He did write them around the time his wife was dying, though . . .
*snuff*

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vertical Horizon's "Best I ever had" & "You're a God"

also Vast "I don't have anything"

------------------
"I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal"
~Incubus

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
exit seraphim
Activist
Member # 2566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for exit seraphim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'fear' and 'do what you have to do' by sarah m. 'one tin soldier'. 'rainy day' by guster. 'the wind' by PJ Havey. basically anything by dave matthews. the score to american beauty. acoustic version of 'if i am' by 9days. a lot of stuff by dido. 'anna begins' by countingcrows. 'at last' by etta james. 'stellar'/'imissyou' by incubus.

i love music.

-justine

Posts: 142 | From: H*Ton, NY | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirenMissy
Neophyte
Member # 4967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirenMissy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
98 Degrees - "Yesterday's Letter"
Selena - "Dreaming of You"
Savage Garden - "Two Beds and a Coffee Machine"
Phil Collins - "Against All Odds"
Jennifer Paige - "Beautiful"
Goo Goo Dolls - "Iris"

I don't really cry at these songs, they just sound sad.

------------------
~Melissa

When life gives you lemons, put them down your shirt and make your boobs look bigger!

Posts: 17 | From: Cincinnati | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't cry during songs...but some that are really sad are:

"iris" and "name" by goo goo dolls just because the lyrics are so sad.

"3 libras" by perfect circle....not only am I in love with Maynard James Keenan's voice (he sings for both tool and a perfect circle) those lyrics are awsome.

Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rambler
Activist
Member # 3023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rambler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hold On: Sarah Maclachlan
She Said: Ani DiFranco
Sally's Pigeons: Cyndi Lauper
Behind The Wall: Tracy Chapman
Streets of Philadelphia: Bruce Springsteen (from the movie...Philadelphia is also one of the ones I posted in the movie thread...damn, that movie and that song haunt me... Long story.)
Family: Dar Williams
Winter: Tori Amos

There are more...but these are the big ones.

------------------
rambler
Visit disabledsex.org -- Disability and Sexuality.
Or, find out how to join the teen discussion list
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.
--Joe Ancis

Posts: 141 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maro_chik
Activist
Member # 4272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maro_chik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not too many songs make me cry, but:

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - Streets Of Philadelphia
GOO GOO DOLLS - Iris
DURAN DURAN - Ordinary World
THE POLICE - Every Breath You Take

------------------
"I like a man with rock in bum."
-Tom Green

Posts: 63 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 4 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had never really cried before while listening at songs. But the one that made me cry is "Saturate Me" by Mandy Moore (on hre new self-titled album). I dunno why, but I just think the song is very sad, about someone wanting help and no one there to offer it.

David

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I've ever really cried because of a song but a song that would make me cry would definitley be

Iris-Goo Goo Dolls
Smashing Pumpkins-1979
Oasis-Wonderwall
Matthew Good Band-Strange Days
Blink 182-Adams Song/Stay Together for the Kids
Badly Drawn Boy-The Shining

And probabaly a bunch of other songs... and just a note those songs aren't necessarily 'sad' songs but they are just songs that have personal meaning I guess you could say and I'd say that some of them could just bring tears to my eyes..haha oh gosh

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
once, I cried during a matchbox 20 song. it wasn't my most glorious moment. i was really distraught.

real song to cry to...
"Lost Cause" Beck

------------------
It ain't the holidays till I see a Salad Shooter commercial.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this thread is what's inspired the general Smiths-listening going on here right now. Poor, miserable Morrissey.

Beautiful Boy's another very sad song, though a lot of that has to do with the fact that John Lennon was killed not long after it was released (which I guess makes Grow Old With Me even sadder, because he was already dead when it came out). I guess Ringo was the only Beatle without much sad music.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

. . .Fearing not that I'd become my enemy
In the instant that I preach

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilmsirishrage
Activist
Member # 14566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilmsirishrage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One - U2
Angel - Sarah McLaughlin
Gone Away - Offspring
Black - Pearl Jam

Posts: 51 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
most of these don't any more because they were related to earlier stages of my life that were considerably less happy. it all has to do with circumstance. i mean, right now i'm listening to elliott smith and grinning from ear to ear. it all depends.

Pink Floyd -- wish you were here
Matchbox 20--when you're gone (well, it used to. long story behind that.)
Bush--Letting the Cables Sleep
much of "Triptych" by the Tea Party

------------------
tie a knife with a ribbon
with a red, red ribbon

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clarinetgoddess
Neophyte
Member # 15618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clarinetgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really "cry" songs but certainly ones that get me really emotional.

Journey - "Faithfully"
Styx - "Show Me the Way"
Don Henley - "Good-Bye to a River"
Eric Clapton - "Tears in Heaven"
Queen - "Who Wants to Live Forever?"
The Who - "Behind Blue Eyes"
Foreigner - "I Want to Know What Love Is"
Matchbox Twenty - "Push"

Now, behold my nerdiness:

Johannes Brahms - "A Rose is Blooming (Es ist ein ros' entsprungen)"

Posts: 19 | From: Coventry, RI, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duelist
Neophyte
Member # 14471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duelist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Leaving on a Jet Plane" as sung by Chantal Kreviazuk.

I can be a big sap sometimes.

- Duelist

Posts: 37 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlondChik1424
Activist
Member # 15765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlondChik1424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hero-Mariah Carey
Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:
real song to cry to...
"Lost Cause" Beck

I don't think I've ever cried to a song, but that has more to do with me not being genetically predisposed to tearing up than it does to me not feeling the music. "Lost Cause" hits me every time I hear it, so do Pete Yorn's "June" and Third Eye Blind's "Camoflauge."

I think what affects me more than the melody of any particular song is the memory which is attached to it. I tend to associate points in my life with music, and so there are songs that will come up and instantly throw me back to certain times. REM's "South Central Rain" will forever remind me of my mother's funeral, because that's the song I heard while exiting the cemetery. Pearl Jam's "Daughter" will forever remind me of the Northridge Earthquake, because that's the first song I heard when the power came back on. And, of course, 311's "Amber" will forever remind me of crossing the Bay Bridge with a car full of people I'm indelibly linked to.

Maybe it's just all about context.

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," PHOM

¡Siendo padrote no es cil!

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's any song that makes me cry, I just get broadsided by it every now and again. I'm not feeling sad, but a song will just make me cry. This isn't a very good reply because I can't even come up with the title of a song that has made me cry. There are a lot of sad songs out there (like "Lost Cause" and most of that album, really) which affect me, but I'm not one who tends to cry very often.

I thought of an example, but it's an old one. When I was 8 or 9 I was really sick, and I was watching The Land Before Time, and the end theme, "If we Hold On Together" just broke me up. It still has an effect on me.

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I hope you dance" by Lee Ann Womack.

I don't listen to country, or newer music in general. However, I was in a sappy mood and listening to Delilah on Warm 106.9. My gramma called, and informed me that her cancer of her mediastine had spread to her brain. I heard the song.

I cannot listen to it without crying. Not possible. Thinking about it makes me a bit teary. It's been a year and a half, but it's still like yesterday...

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's definitely all about context.

speaking of Beck, "sing it again" gets me, too.

------------------
tie a knife with a ribbon
with a red, red ribbon

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilac15
Neophyte
Member # 14558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilac15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Heaven was needing a Hero" by jo dee messiana...or sumthing like that....i heard it on the wayne brady show, she sung it for john ritter after he passed away.....
it made me cry then and it really makes me cry now because my grandfather passed away thanksgiving day this year.....and i gave it 2 my mom....

also another one is "dreaming of you" by selena....as someone else said also....
and it really makes me cry when im watching the movie.....

Posts: 12 | From: ATL | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
betty!
Neophyte
Member # 14325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for betty!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
led zepplin - stairway to heaven, just such a beautiful song, bon jovi - someday i'l be saturday night, and bon jovi - always
Posts: 16 | From: england, the beautiful north! | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poe
Neophyte
Member # 15344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Poe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
" my immortal " by evanescence makes me cry so much, i love that song
Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here without you ~ Three Doors Down *sniffle*
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@"Angel" Sarah McGlauchlin
@"Plateu" Nirvana (really the whole unplugged album could send me into tears. You can hear something in Cobain's voice that just moves you.)
@"november rain" Guns n roses
@"Crazy" Patsy Cline
@"Scar Tissue" Red Hot Chilli Peppers
@"Wish you were here" Pink Floyd

Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misskickass
Neophyte
Member # 16330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for misskickass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony Rich Project - Nobody Knows !
Aerosmith - I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing !
& The List goes on, but I don't want to bore anyone lol.
Any fans of TRP ?
x x

Posts: 3 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucylu458
Activist
Member # 15584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucylu458     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
all my life-KC and JoJo
angel-amanda perez

Posts: 189 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucylu458
Activist
Member # 15584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucylu458     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
all my life-KC and JoJo
angel-amanda perez

Posts: 189 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fools_2
Activist
Member # 16351

Icon 9 posted      Profile for fools_2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PUFF THE MAGIC DRAGON the dragon disappears!
Posts: 61 | From: i come from a land down under | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star2be17
Activist
Member # 4769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star2be17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any beautiful song that I've sung in choir. "You are the New Day", "In this heart", "Amor de mi Alma", etc.

------------------
"Neither a lofty imagination, nor intelligence is the source of genius. Love, love, that is the source of genius." ~W.A. Mozart

Posts: 266 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.